New Album Discussion 10 - Songs of Sir, this is a Wendy's, durr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’m making a list. According to this site I should be able to get tickets easily as it’s U2 minus 1. And so many aren’t going. So if I see any of you fuckers there I will not recognize you so you’ll be safe. But I’ll be upset later when you post pics.

I’m making a list. According to this site I should be able to get tickets easily as it’s U2 minus 1. And so many aren’t going. So if I see any of you fuckers there I will not recognize you so you’ll be safe. But I’ll be upset later when you post pics.

I’ll be one of the fuckers in attendance, because the fact that SOS will likely suck doesn’t change that live performances of AB likely will not suck

I’m fine with SOS, it seems fun. I’m a sucker for the sad movie trailer version of songs.

But looks like they’re about to shoot them selves in the foot again — “U2 spend the pandemic reminding us how much better they used to be.”

Looks like this song is the best of the releases so far. Along with the preview of Stories for boys it looks like the album is maybe not as bad it looked after the first three, very bad, releases.

Not loving it, but still want to hear it in full.

Music is fine, Bono doing fragmented lullaby voice, eh...not so much.

Nice falsetto near the end, but it almost sounds sampled from something he did in the 90's because it's so maligned with how he's singing elsewhere.

This sounds like the best one so far. I have to be honest, I've tried to be open to this album but I've felt like even on it's own terms, a lot of what's been released so far has been more miss than hit, and could have been executed better - but this sounds very strong to me. Love Edge playing the chorus guitar riff during the verse.

Also, Bono's falsetto is straight out of the Achtung baby era. I didn't think he could still do that. Hope he brings it for the next album!

It’s a lot closer to the live performance than WOWY was, which is a good thing. Judging these on the clips isn’t a great way to form a decent view because all of these have been better or worse than expected based on that.

My only strong opinion here is that, as I have seen since WOWY came out, the more I hear from this album, the more I understand the strength is in the concept and the totality of it rather than individual songs themselves.

But wait, wait!!! I thought Bono's voice was "shot!!??" :lol:

Every time I would see someone comment this I would just think... ummmm He did just sing songs really well a month or so ago on his book tour, so not sure how something recorded before that can lead anyone to that conclusion.

Anyway. This one is definitely more in line with what I had hoped. Do I think its amazing!? Not really, but I never was a huge BD fan, so I do like what's going on here quite a bit.
I think my only small cringe so far is Bono's "I know you're not a hopeless case" part. eh, not great.
Sonically this is above the rest so far, and the others have been quite good in that regard. Love the sort of unnatural transition at 16 seconds in. This kinda cool drop off a ledge. Like the piano in this a lot, the falsetto at 1:15 is straight Achtung Baby, and I like the " I saw the world as your blue room" line.

ok we may have our first 7 or 8 out of 10 rating depending on how the rest goes.

It’s a lot closer to the live performance than WOWY was, which is a good thing. Judging these on the clips isn’t a great way to form a decent view because all of these have been better or worse than expected based on that.

My only strong opinion here is that, as I have seen since WOWY came out, the more I hear from this album, the more I understand the strength is in the concept and the totality of it rather than individual songs themselves.

That's SO weird. Yes, I think this could be a very cool listen as a whole. Sure, there are gonna be some I just can't deal with (Get Out...) but having songs like this flowing together could be a more immersive experience.

I'll do a longer post expanding on this later... gotta run

I’m fine with SOS, it seems fun. I’m a sucker for the sad movie trailer version of songs.

But looks like they’re about to shoot them selves in the foot again — “U2 spend the pandemic reminding us how much better they used to be.”

Irvine, this is better suited for a PM but I let my subscription lapse and my inbox is full, but I just wanted to say it's great to see you are alive and kicking. You were one of my favorites from mid to late 2000s when I was really active on here. I hope you are well! Sean

Irvine, this is better suited for a PM but I let my subscription lapse and my inbox is full, but I just wanted to say it's great to see you are alive and kicking. You were one of my favorites from mid to late 2000s when I was really active on here. I hope you are well! Sean

Hi Sean! Good to see/read you. Always thought you were one of our kindest, most thoughtful posters. I hope you are well as well (and I am indeed well).

good start... hopefully, with the rest of the song, they don't... let it get away.

horatio-csi.gif

It doesn’t sound like he’s going to buy it. In the meantime can’t he post his opinion on a new U2 release? Or she.

No! According to the hall monitors, he must either forget the new renditions exist or pretend he didn't care about new U2 material in the first place. Go listen to something else!! :lol:

Okay, I realized what gets me is how he does "You've been all over" like the next line will be "Yes you have!" as he's pinching your cheek.

I'm good with the rest of it so far.

Also, am I the only dummy that thought it was "The sky folds, you feel like" until just now....

I'll see myself out.

Back
Top Bottom