New Album Discussion 10 - Songs of Sir, this is a Wendy's, durr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm happy to get 40 new things to listen to. I'm hoping to really like 7-10 of them. But from what I've heard, it's pretty meh. It feels like they decided to go all in on this, maybe to buy time for Larry to get well. But it's almost like Bono went in and did one take, and then Edge and Ezrin layered lush instrumentation behind it, while Bono went and hit the local Pizza Ranch.

Still looking forward to hearing everything, but knowing most of it won't land like I would hope.

On the nose. The most rewarding ones are going to be the ones that really deviated (The Fly, Two Hearts, Desire, Stories). Stripped down covers is a nice idea for a live EP, MTV unplugged, etc. but for 40 re-imagined tracks, this style makes it seem like they didn't really use their imagination.

The only thing I will say is (totally personal preference) I loathe the Damien Rice cover of One. The complete role-reversal in the lyrics makes my stomach ill, but your point about it isn't lost on me. That entire cover album of AB is rich with reinvention .

On the nose. The most rewarding ones are going to be the ones that really deviated (The Fly, Two Hearts, Desire, Stories). Stripped down covers is a nice idea for a live EP, MTV unplugged, etc. but for 40 re-imagined tracks, this style makes it seem like they didn't really use their imagination.

The only thing I will say is (totally personal preference) I loathe the Damien Rice cover of One. The complete role-reversal in the lyrics makes my stomach ill, but your point about it isn't lost on me. That entire cover album of AB is rich with reinvention .

That Ahk-Toong Baby album is a stroke of genius.

:up:

I suspect I just felt like I had to say that as I've been guilty of the "fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice, shame on me" when it comes to giving RHCP another chance live.

Yeeeaaaah. Saw ‘em on the Californication tour with STP opening. Should’ve been reversed but RHCP had the hits at that point. Frusciante and Flea were great to see at least.

I know what you mean on the role reversal. But the tone and feel was what stood out. I really like Rice. He can be the saddest of the sad. It seems to me that Bono is going for the broken down, kind of shattered soul sound, but doesn't get there in the least. I think the reception of the songs would be better if they were much different. Because they still ride closely to the original, there is more apt for comparison.

I keep forgetting about Two Hearts. really looking forward to that one from the clip. I think there are now about 4 that I know I will really like. I'm up in the air on The Fly. That song is so dear to me. The clip does sound pretty cool.

Yeeeaaaah. Saw ‘em on the Californication tour with STP opening. Should’ve been reversed but RHCP had the hits at that point. Frusciante and Flea were great to see at least.

I am sort of in the middle on RHCP. I like a lot of their songs, but they never spoke to me in any meaningful way. I did have a friend take me along to see them, and I'll say that it was pretty disappointing. Not as disappointing as when I was really excited to see The Pumpkins back in 94 or 5... ooof. That was a huge let down.

i wonder how many times that video is going to be reposted here. we're already up to #3 and it's not even related to the topic of this thread lol.

Last edited:
Listen up, rubes. The guy is entitled to his opinion.

And we are entitled to not having to see it posted across the entire goddamn forum.

So I wonder how all of this plays in to plans for a 2024 album which is yet to be written and recorded?

Presumably Larry can play in the studio in some sort of “low power” mode, so things can still progress this year. We all know the band needs a lot of rehearsal time ahead of live stuff, but maybe the rest of the band are doing that while Bono is on his book tour.

Looks like its going to be a very busy year for the band regardless of how Larry is getting on in terms of recovery time etc.

my assumption is that they already know exactly what they're doing in 2024, and that it's either complete and/or close to being complete.

and if it isn't complete, it's not as if they haven't recorded without larry before and added him in later on.

wait - does that mean that the Pop demos weren't actually done by U2?

94c0188fe72498a20792711de11c6038.gif

So I wonder how all of this plays in to plans for a 2024 album which is yet to be written and recorded?

Presumably Larry can play in the studio in some sort of “low power” mode, so things can still progress this year. We all know the band needs a lot of rehearsal time ahead of live stuff, but maybe the rest of the band are doing that while Bono is on his book tour.

Looks like its going to be a very busy year for the band regardless of how Larry is getting on in terms of recovery time etc.

Yeah it did sound from interviews that the ROCK!!!! :rockon: album was near completion and they were going to be going back in the studio... this past January I believe to work on it.

There are a few different rumours that the new album is kind of complete. Apparently it was mostly finished by summer '22, and Edge was apparently in Belfast working on the final mixes in November '22.

Between that and rumours of stadium shows this year that fell through, I wouldn't be surprised if they could have - and planned to - have the album out by now, but Larry's injuries prompted them to delay everything, and use the extra time to tweak the new songs with a new producer.

It's probably at a similar place to Songs of Experience in late 2016, when they brought Steve Lillywhite in to polish an album that was probably most of the way there.

That might still require additional recording, but I could imagine that being minimal, and as you say, it's possible Larry can play in a studio a lot more easily than performing live for 2 straight hours on consecutive nights.

my assumption is that they already know exactly what they're doing in 2024, and that it's either complete and/or close to being complete.
:
and if it isn't complete, it's not as if they haven't recorded without larry before and added him in later on.

wait - does that mean that the Pop demos weren't actually done by U2?

94c0188fe72498a20792711de11c6038.gif

:lol: you’re right and you don’t even know it! Some demos were recorded by 3/4, 2/4, and maybe even 1/4 of the band. That’s why the 1/4 who was absent was feeling insecure and unhappy.

Whatever point you think you’re making - that U2 isn’t Bono, Edge, Adam and Larry? that U2 is still U2 if one of them isn’t in the band? - isn’t actually being made because U2 have said, over and over and over again for over 40 years, that it’s not U2 if it’s not the four of them.

When Bono and Edge are writing together do you think U2 are writing? When Edge, Larry and Adam were in the studio together in 99 and 00 while Bono was out advocating do you think that U2 were in the studio? I fuckin hope not because it would be an astounding failure of basic logic. It would mean you can’t do simple math.

Also, it’s interesting that those greybeards Radiohead have more monthly streams on Spotify than their fellow greybeards U2. Weird, even, since they don’t even try to be be popular and are so weird and deliberately obscure! And the discrepancy in views between singles from their most recent albums is actually shocking (for real, I’m shocked at how low the views for SOE singles are and how many views AMSP videos have).

https://songstats.com/artist/8jwdps39/u2

https://songstats.com/artist/3fymp2ao/radiohead

Well I’m almost done. 3 songs in and I have practically zero interest in hearing any additional SOS songs. Bono croaking over musical nothingness doesn’t do it for me. Presumably these are 3 of the better songs. Agree with the earlier sentiment that this should have been tightly linked to Bono’s book. What I hear so far is almost embarrassing of release.

These songs sound better with big noise canceling headphones.

WOWY is still meh to me.

But right now, I would listen to SOS Pride over TUF Pride, as it’s the more interesting listen for me at this particular time. I really like it.

I’m reserving judgment on One for now. My first reaction wasn’t positive, but we’ll see.

These songs sound better with big noise canceling headphones.

WOWY is still meh to me.

But right now, I would listen to SOS Pride over TUF Pride, as it’s the more interesting listen for me at this particular time. I really like it.

I’m reserving judgment on One for now. My first reaction wasn’t positive, but we’ll see.

I haven't sat with them all long enough, but you've pretty much nailed my general feelings.

I think liking SOS Pride is a combo of being totally burned out on the original plus feeling like it truly has a fresh spin on it; where the other two were just made more...brittle (Yeah, that's the word I will use). I can also sit and listen to Pride and enjoy it throughout; where the other two I'm just waiting for the grand ending sections when groggy morning-Bono is done with his part.

Recap it’s not u2 music if all of them aren’t there at the same time 100%.

Why is the singer fucking up these great u2 songs?

With Coldplay calling it quits, is there a bigger rock band currently than U2 that is putting out new material?

Any that can fill stadiums in any country in the world without 2 or 3 other fairly big name "openers?"

Possibly Metallica is in the ballpark...
If the next season of Stranger Things uses U2, they will never die.

New Inhaler album today - it’s very good - less poppy and accessible than their first, and there is LOTS of Unforgettable Fire in the bass. Lots of rolling bass lines that remind me of Boomerang and the other b sides.

Back
Top Bottom