New Album Discussion 1 - Songs of..... - Unreasonable guitar album - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2023, 11:53 AM   #201
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miroslava View Post
I mean, I know most of us don't care for it (I should probably go back and finish those last 3-4 songs I have not heard yet), but are we not counting SOS as a studio album? It's not like it is just a greatest hits compilation of prior recordings. Or is the standard new music only?
It is definitely a unique effort by U2, but I don't count it as new music. I love U2 and have been with them on every musical direction they've gone in, but I gave SOS 2 listens and I was good. Maybe I'll revisit it sometime down the line, but not now.

MrPryck2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 12:56 PM   #202
Forum Administrator

I respect the effort that went into Songs of Surrender. I rarely go back to it, but when I do I actually enjoy a lot of what's on there.

When I first heard of the project I thought it would be nice for, like, Sunday morning drives, beach playlists, vacation relaxing moments, etc... and, well, pretty much nothing else.

And that's pretty much what I've used it as, and hey, I like it for those moments.

Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 03:44 AM   #203
War Child

I don't think I've so much as thought about SOS since the week it came out, let alone re-listened to it. A few of the reworkings were brilliant and a few others were cool, but for me the other 30 songs ranged from "this is basically the same track" to "what is this crap?"
PopFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 10:26 AM   #204
ONE
love, blood, life

I had a lot of "what is this crap" reactions
Miroslava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 10:35 AM   #205
Forum Administrator

i think the key with SOS - and the band's approach - is the relative lack of push that they gave it in comparison to other projects.

yes - they marketed it. yes, they put up billboards. they did some press. so it wasn't just a throw away project - but it was also a far cry from their normal promotional machine.

no videos outside of one lyric video for Pride. no late night appearances - no bono and edge doing acoustic shit on the usual circuit. no promo shows. and the whole thing kinda just died out after release as everything pivoted to the Sphere shows.

it was just a thing they did. if you like it, great. if you don't, who cares.
Old 06-16-2023, 02:15 PM   #206
Blue Crack Supplier

I enjoy it at times. I really love some versions of the songs. Others I can’t remember.

Not listening to much of any U2 at the moment. But I’m sure I’ll cycle back in the fall.
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 02:36 PM   #207
Blue Crack Supplier

I bought it as I'm a completist with them, but the project does very little for me.
Hewson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 02:59 PM   #208
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:29 PM
Until The End Of The World & I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For sounded great and I come back to those. Oh yeah, Pride too.
mikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 07:21 PM   #209
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:29 AM
New Album Discussion 1 - Songs of..... - Unreasonable guitar album

I think for me it’s as much a comment on the strength of new music so far this year that I haven’t listened to it more. There’s a lot to like on it, and even if you can only find 8-10 you’d go back to, that’s a mini album worth of goodness. Since it came out there’s been three different Fridays where 3 albums from bands I love have dropped and I haven’t gotten around to all of them yet. An album of u2 re-workings isn’t going to break through that noise consistently. When I have listened to parts of it in the last month, I am still enjoying it.
dan_smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 06:29 PM   #210
ONE
love, blood, life

You know what's fucked up? I still think U2 has one more great album in them. And it seems we're almost at a point where it could be the last album with all 4 original members. Now, I really enjoyed U2's last 2 albums. I liked SOI a little more than SOE. If they're able to somehow successfully meld all the great things they did over say the last 23 years, they might have a great album. With all the fucked up shit that's gone down in the world, there should be plenty of good material for songs. Bust out the guitar for Christ's sake! We just gotta make sure Larry doesn't drum too hard.
MrPryck2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 08:49 AM   #211
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Songs of Surrender is essentially meaningless to me. Only one song- Wild Horses- is as good or better than the original. The other 39 range from so-so to not memorable at all to absolutely God-awful. I'm sure someday I'll buy a used copy on eBay for a couple bucks, just so I have a physical copy of everything, but that's about it. No desire to ever re-listen to any of it- which, for the record, I'm completely fine with. I had no expectations for this, and if it helps them get the creative juices flowing again and get this acoustic thing out of their system in advance of the next album, so be it.
2861U2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 09:12 AM   #212
ONE
love, blood, life

Wild Horses was pretty good. Every Breaking Wave too, if you ignore that wild ass note.

I didn't buy it. Just listened on Apple Music. And so it shall remain. I hate that cover too. You all get pictures from different eras or all from the same. Thank you.
Old 06-20-2023, 02:53 PM   #213
Blue Crack Addict

I don't think it was ever about being better than the original songs. I would say that none of the songs are better than the original, but there are several that I like that I'll listen to every once in a while if I'm in the mood for U2, and that's fine. I'm glad they released it.
mikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 03:00 PM   #214
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
I don't think it was ever about being better than the original songs. I would say that none of the songs are better than the original, but there are several that I like that I'll listen to every once in a while if I'm in the mood for U2, and that's fine. I'm glad they released it.
right?

never in a million years did i imagine that anything would be better than the original - nor would i ever think that any acoustic take that any band releases is meant to be better.

it's strictly meant to be an alternate take.
Old 06-20-2023, 05:45 PM   #215
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:29 AM
Yep. Did people genuinely go in expecting better? Like, really? That’s insane - no wonder those people complain. I went vegan for health reasons a few years ago. I really like a lot of the food I now eat because I understand what it is and what it’s meant to be. But if I was stupid enough to think a veg pizza with fake cheese is going to be as luxurious and satisfying as a normal pizza then I am going to be seriously disappointed, and that disappointment isn’t the pizza maker’s fault. It’s mine for being a moron.
dan_smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 06:35 PM   #216
The Fly

Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miroslava View Post
Wild Horses was pretty good. Every Breaking Wave too, if you ignore that wild ass note.

I didn't buy it. Just listened on Apple Music. And so it shall remain. I hate that cover too. You all get pictures from different eras or all from the same. Thank you.

What note am I missing?
JWR1992 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 10:13 PM   #217
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWR1992 View Post
What note am I missing?
4:47ish

I didn’t expect them to be better. I was hoping for some of that U2 live magic. Instead, for me, it was a lot of talk singing, changed melodies and missing emotion in so many songs. I thought Bono sounded great for the Surrender shows, so the voice and charisma is still there. Live. To be fair, I honestly very seldom listen to U2 records AB is the only one that gets played top to bottom every so often.
Old 06-23-2023, 02:53 PM   #218
War Child

At this point, it's as if SOS never happened. I do recall thinking The Miracle was better than the original.
Airseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 05:26 PM   #219
War Child

Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airseven View Post
At this point, it's as if SOS never happened. I do recall thinking The Miracle was better than the original.
It's definitely a fun arrangement but I can't stand the new chorus.
tommycharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 06:17 AM   #220
Forum Administrator

I do like the new chorus better than the original