Neil McCormick comments on NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Neil McCormick mentions "killer twist at the end", could it be...

... that the album has two versions of No Line On The Horizon. Alternate version (#12) as hidden track?

Proof:

Neil McCormick:

"There is a surge in the middle perfectly timed to quell any uprising, and a killer twist at the end."

Q:

Two versions of the title track were extant: the first is another Unforgettable Fire-esque slow burner that builds to a euphoric coda, the second a punk-y Pixies/Buzzcocks homage that proceeds at a breathless pace.

"We recorded the second version just last night," explained the singer whilst enthusiastically air drumming along to it. "I'm very excited by that one,"

JB Hi-Fi (Australian online shop)

Music Games DVDs at JB HIFI Australia

It would reference U2's use of Vertigo as an opener and closer on the last tour, in addition to giving an element of "continuous finality" to the album.

I love it. :drool:

I'm thinking that #1 is the ambient version, and number #12 is the rocker. It would be awesome if they opened and closed with the two different versions... only maybe the rocker version as the opener and the ambient version as the closer.

The Horizon Tour.

LAME!!! We wait so long and all they can give us is a different version of a song already on the album! The only excuse for this is that they're putting out another album soon.

hopefully (although im fairly certain it will be) it isnt only the bonus track version with it.

if it is a true album, it should be on all forms

So we can assume based on Bono's comments about the first song being 150 BPM that the opener is the punk version and the closer is the Eno one. Right?

actually, i dont think so. in RS he mentions that GOYB is the 150bpm song. I said at the time he probably meant first song, as in first single.

Seems that is what he meant

hopefully (although im fairly certain it will be) it isnt only the bonus track version with it.

if it is a true album, it should be on all forms

Agree

Do US deluxe editions usually come with the bonus track?

LAME!!! We wait so long and all they can give us is a different version of a song already on the album! The only excuse for this is that they're putting out another album soon.

if they are different enough to post two versions, it will be like getting another song, but less lyrics to learn. Don't see the bad in this :wave:

Which one will they play live (or both, a-la vertigo)

"Hitting a reich vein" anyone?!

Lets put it this way: If they do not come up with an album within 1,5 years the rich vein remark is UTTER BS because we can assume that the songs on NLOTH aren't all made up the last couple of months. This could mean 3 things:

1) another new album pretty soon
2) The B-sides of NLOTH will kick ass
3) another marketing crap remark in order to hide the fact that they were not too satisfied with the result and needed more time to finish it by Bono.

Man, I wonder which one of the 3 it will be :|

You gotta love the BS this man commes up with though :wink:

And why's that? Please explain.

Cause if it wasn't called "NLOTH (Alternate version)" he simply wouldn't be complaining at all. And after all, one version is completely different from the other. Each version has a melody of its own, so there's no reason to complain. It's not like they're opening the album with "Elevation" and ending with "Elevation (Tomb Raider Remix)".

"Hitting a reich vein" anyone?!

Lets put it this way: If they do not come up with an album within 1,5 years the rich vein remark is UTTER BS because we can assume that the songs on NLOTH aren't all made up the last couple of months. This could mean 3 things:

1) another new album pretty soon
2) The B-sides of NLOTH will kick ass
3) another marketing crap remark in order to hide the fact that they were not too satisfied with the result and needed more time to finish it by Bono.

Man, I wonder which one of the 3 it will be :|

You gotta love the BS this man commes up with though :wink:

you forgot logical option 4 - They are all around 50 years old, and touring for over a year takes it out of them, and they want to spend time with their families. So 1.5 years may be a little harsh.

you forgot logical option 4 - They are all around 50 years old, and touring for over a year takes it out of them, and they want to spend time with their families. So 1.5 years may be a little harsh.

Didn't they bring out the Zooropa album mid Zoo TV tour? And who cares about their families what about us :wink:

They'll probably release the rest of their 50-60 works, don't tour, spend time with family, and watch the cash flow in from their future six studio albums.

They'll never have to walk out of their mansions again.

I remember a lot of people here complaining that they'd get to hear the punk rock version of NLOTH instead of the more ambient one. I've always thought it would be a good idea to have both songs on the album. I like the idea, though I wish there would be another bonus track and NLOTH II would be an ordinary track.

Didn't they bring out the Zooropa album mid Zoo TV tour? And who cares about their families what about us :wink:

when they were early 30's, its a bit different when you are nearl 50

They'll probably release the rest of their 50-60 works, don't tour, spend time with family, and watch the cash flow in from their future six studio albums.

They'll never have to walk out of their mansions again.

and you begrudge them that? if you resent them living in mansions, dont buy their music and feed into their cash-cow.

i don't think having two versions of nloth is a great way to open and then close the album. certainly not a twist, or anything real unique. i will love to hear both versions, but pick one- go with it and then put the other one out as a b-side. i am not real excited by the description of the punk rock version one. it may be great, but given u2's history i don't have real high hopes for that one.

i would rather have 12 completely different songs.

all that if there both great, and the option is 11 songs, or 12 with the two versions obviously the 12 is better.

does bother anyone else the way the total feel of the album as a whole is completely changed with bonus tracks. fast cars sounds really strange after yahweh on bomb. same with ground beneath her feet. for a band that seems to agonize over tracklisting, i always thought that was very strange way to do it.

It will be interesting to have a "day" and a "night" version of NLOTH. I guess both versions will be very different and I like the concept of NLOTH 2 being the closer. I just wish it would be regular, not a bonus track.

and you begrudge them that? if you resent them living in mansions, dont buy their music and feed into their cash-cow.

I don't begrudge them. I was being sarcastic or whatever.

My favorite indie bands put out great albums, but they're also busy with their bread and butter careers and family life. They make albums when they have the time, but they don't tour much. They do a few local shows. But that's about it... And they're younger than U2... And I see no problem with them doing what they do.

Back
Top Bottom