Neil McCormick comments on NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah, all right: a Valencia important politician said that U2 will play in Valencia this summer.

But this is real. If the politician were lying is not u2valencia's fault, i meant.

ok, here's my problem with this: u2valencia is posting something based on what someone not involved with U2 or their organization said. I don't care if he's a politician, I don't care if he's the Pope, at the end of the day this guy does not really know anything...

I'm not blaming them though, I am assuming they posted this as a rumor, it's when people read these rumors and just take them as being "real" as you phrased it, that I don't like.

Wonderful. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment we get GOYB in the middle of the tracklist, and we have a complete album start to finish without a worry of having all the singles at the front of the album.

Hopefully GOYB is more like The Fly then Beautiful Day or Vertigo. You could argue that the last two singles were the best songs on their respective albums...while The Fly was more about an introduction to the new sound of the band as was in no way the best song on it's album.

we may have the cover of the single, and the tracklisting of the single (bsides etc..) tomorrow. Maybe that's what U2Valencia means...
:hmm:

I loooove Neil McCormick! He's a great writer! It's good to get a review from someone who knows alottt about U2.

Check out what McCormick had to say about The Bomb in October 2004 (he was being asked about the Atomic Bomb title):

"There was a lot of debate about that title in the U2 camp but I liked it the moment Bono tried it out on me. It is kind of "how do you get the toothpaste back in the tube" conundrum, but with the wider ramifications of the appalling situation we find ourselves in today, faced by the spread of war and terrorism in the world. It is a big idea for a big album. I only heard the tracks a few times, and not in the order they are going on the album, but I think it is going to be one of their truly great albums. It evokes most periods of U2. But also sets out a few new markers ("Love and Peace or Else" is kind of a distorted glam rock stomp, for example). My favourite track is "Crumbs From Your Table," which has a majestic, rolling feel, a little bit reminiscent of "One," with quite an angry lyric about how aid agencies and the third world have to go cap in hand to the governments of wealthy nations and beg for the smallest things, when we could solve their problems without even affecting our over inflated standard of living one bit. And, of course, "Vertigo" is great. I especially like the fact that Bono roars my name at the end. He would claim that he is singing the word "Kneel!" but I know better! Actually, he and Edge performed the song for video cameras while I was in the studio, and when they got the part where Bono is supposed to sing "Kneel!" they looked at me with surprise and he went "Hey Neil!"

The recording was certainly not as rushed as Pop. They took over two years and went through a couple of production teams to get it together. But they were still recording up to the last minute. I was around in the studio a couple of days before the end, and Edge was laying down keyboards and Bono was doing vocals and changing lyrics. In fact, Bono is such an inclusive individual, he kept asking me what I thought of this lyric and that lyric, and which verse should go before which, so I feel as if I have contributed in some small way to this record. Indeed, there a couple of lines on "A Man and a Woman" that may have gone in a different direction if I hadn't been in the room. But that is U2's way. They really want the best and, in search of it, they cast the net wide and listen to a lot of opinions. By the time I was around, the mood in the U2 camp was verging on the triumphant. They knew they had a great record on their hands. But I gather there were heated moments along the way. Indeed, from my research for their autobiography, I can assure you that U2 sessions have never been for the faint hearted. It is a bloody process of attrition, but the results speak for themselves."

Check out what McCormick had to say about The Bomb in October 2004 (he was being asked about the Atomic Bomb title):

" My favourite track is "Crumbs From Your Table," which has a majestic, rolling feel, a little bit reminiscent of "One," with quite an angry lyric about how aid agencies and the third world have to go cap in hand to the governments of wealthy nations and beg for the smallest things, when we could solve their problems without even affecting our over inflated standard of living one bit. "

He must have been on crack comparing Crumbs to One. Thanks for the heads up. This is a very biased review on a crap album. I'm not so excited anymore.

I don't know. Just reading through that 2004 article, despite believing HTDAAB will be one of their truly great efforts, McCormick seems far more gushing and excited about the new album.

In a couple of places he seems to be making allowances for Bomb, talking about going through a few different producers and just how hard the whole process has been.

I'm still very hopeful about the whole thing.:hyper:

It evokes most periods of U2. But also sets out a few new markers ("Love and Peace or Else" is kind of a distorted glam rock stomp, for example).

the most important thing from that "review" (if you never heard the album) and 100% true!

What's your point? Zero chance he would say it's not good, so the rest is just typical hype.
Beside, we all voted the album as U2's 3rd or 4th best when it was released. Now it's at the end of the list with ATYCLB, October and R&H in this new "survivor", things change.

The most important thing here is:

"It is dense, twisty, shiny, modern pop music, a big mash up of Eno ambience, Edge electricity, rhythm and soul. There are verses and choruses, though not necessarily in that order (and quite often its hard to tell which is which). It doesn't feel the need to hit you over the head, but has the Ninja confidence to sneak up and take you unawares. It makes love like its making war. It hasn't frontloaded all its big guns. There is a surge in the middle perfectly timed to quell any uprising, and a killer twist at the end. It could be the glittering sonic mind meld of pop rock and soul that Zooropa wanted to be." :up:

Brandon Flowers of the Killers recently told me, "They're unbelievable, but they're getting old ... It feels like it's time." On this evidence, anyone who wants to shift U2 off their pedestal is going to have to take it by force.

The Killers haven't even made one album that's better than October. Talk about ego-mania. :lol: Some bands should just do instead of talk. I couldn't even find one good song on the their newest album. What a retard! :coocoo:

Ive been hearing the clip One Love from the beach clips over and over. Great song. Whats the title of it on the new album?

Subnet, what about the new Snow Patrol don't you like? I like Final Straw more myself, but it's better than the last one. The last record just had too many slow songs for my taste.:reject:

Back
Top Bottom