My choice for producer for the next album (and it's not Rick Rubin)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemon95

The Fly
The most obvious choice for me at least is Nigel Godrich.

He has done some remixing for U2---on the superior single version of "Walk On," and is well known for his work with such artists/groups like Radiohead, Beck, REM, Travis, and he produced the hell out of McCartney's last album, which was an excellent effort.

I'm kinda stunned by Rubin's results on WITS, not that it is a bad track, but it just wasn't what I was expecting from his so-called production 'stamp.' Grittier and tougher would have been what I was anticipating. However, Rubin has done some production work with Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers in the '90s which I highly enjoy.

Any thoughts on Godrich out there and why the band should consider him?

Steve lillywhite :up: I love the sound of war, its the way I think U2 should sound and I think they brought something back to bomb from that era. And it was due to his influence.
Plus he seems like a nice person!

Yup, Lillywhite is my second choice...thought that working with a new producer like Godrich might stir the pot a little more this time around, though.

Get Eno back:drool:

this album should be produced by Eno and the Edge.......and maybe Rick Rubin

I really like what he did on WITS

^Oh sorry, I thought you asked in the title for your choice of producer :reject:

Godrich is pretty good too, I prefer the single version of walk on to the album version by far. Maybe the band will choose him to work on the singles of their next album, as I think producing catchy tunes are one of his strong points.

If they work with ONE and only ONE producer on the next album, my choice is Rubin. For no other reason than - other than the recent sessions, which I can't see bearing much resemblance to an actual record recording session due to the different scopes of the projects - they have pretty much stayed "vanilla" with the majority of their producers.

Nigel Godrich would be interesting, but I can't see the result being much different than an Eno, Lillywhite or Lanois album. Godrich would've been choice had they continued pursuing a POP kind of sound.

But to me, if you put U2 and Rick Rubin in a studio with the sole intention of recording an album, no more, no less (well, maybe some b-sides too!), the results would be astounding.

The need Eno, and thats it. Maybe the Edge produces too. But Eno is the key fifth member to U2.

partygirlvox said:
Steve lillywhite :up: I love the sound of war, its the way I think U2 should sound and I think they brought something back to bomb from that era. And it was due to his influence.
Plus he seems like a nice person!

It's not allowed to praise Lillywhite's work because of his supposed (but not true) bad production in HTDAAB. I like his job and don't have a word tosay about it.

Now, seriously...

- Eno/Lanois - okay, I love what they've done with U2, but that's enough. No more Eno/Lanois, since many claim that U2 are nothing without them and that's wrong. Plus, U2 don't need this couple to make great songs.

- Rick Rubin - I'm not a fan of his work (either with Johnny Cash or RHCP) and I think he's not a great producer, but what he did with U2 in those 2 songs surprised me, so I'm gonna stay tunned and not to pronounce myself about it.

- Nigel Godrich - just listen to what he's done with "Walk On". Superb...

- Jacknife Lee - he's made a good job in the last album and I like what he does with Snow Patrol, it's a good option, I think

- Chris Thomas - poor guy, I think he should have a second chance, but U2 will never give it to him anymore, I think

- The Edge - this should me IMO the best option possible. I'd like to see once a U2 album produced by Edge, even if with the co-production of someone else.

Yeah, I'm all about this Eno & Edge pairing, too. :yes:

It'd be cool to stick with Rubin for one album, but then give us the E&E combo on the one after that.

Reading 'U2 by U2,' the band seems to have so much more respect for Lanois than Eno.

Utoo said:
Reading 'U2 by U2,' the band seems to have so much more respect for Lanois than Eno.

Why? Cos Eno produced the "oh, we shouldn't have gone down that path" record, Passengers OS1? :|

Zootlesque said:

Why? Cos Eno produced the "oh, we shouldn't have gone down that path" record, Passengers OS1? :|

No, I think it has a lot to do with personality. Lanois is a pretty happy-go-lucky guy who loves to "get down in the trenches" when it comes to making music with U2. (As an example of his down-to-earthness, my friend saw him in concert, emailed Lanois the next day to tell him he liked the show, and Lanois personally wrote back. Pretty cool.)

Eno is more of the cold, analytical professor type. I read most of his published diary & you kinda get the feeling that he's uber-creative, but a bit of a dick. The comments in U2 by U2 seem to fit that description...

Interesting. But they need Eno. :(

I'd like to see them get back to mellow atmospheric fare like Slug and YBR. :drool:

Throw in some Edge guitar effects like in LIB or Stateless and :combust:

As long as they have only ONE producer rather than practically one for each track on Atomic Bomb.

I know he would never work with U2, but....Brenden O'Brien anyone? Known for his grunge sound he did with Pearl Jam. I really like his work with Bruce Springsteen (The Rising) and The Wallflowers (Rebel, Sweetheart)

I don't care who produces the next album, just as long as it's not someone who was involved in the butchering of the last two. The production on ATYCLB and HTDAAB is so terrible that they could already use a remaster.

If I had my way, U2 would bring in Steven Wilson. And everyone here would fall in love with Porcupine Tree in the process.

Lancemc said:
The production on ATYCLB was terrible? :lmao:

Yeah, Stuck In A Moment sounds like the sonic equivalent of bubblegum. Better production may have avoided stripping it of all sincerity.

Axver said:

Yeah, Stuck In A Moment sounds like the sonic equivalent of bubblegum. Better production may have avoided stripping it of all sincerity.

You're right, it does suck.

But the rest of the album has pretty great production.

Grace
Beautiful Day
Elevation
In a Little While
Walk On
New York
When I Look at the World

it's a beauty with headphones.

Lancemc said:
The production on ATYCLB was terrible? :lmao:
No it is not. Cross the production of a mid-tempo track from "Pop" with the typical blues song from the JT/Lovetown era and make it more "pop". That's "Stuck in a moment". There is nothing wrong with the production in the song.

Utoo said:

No, I think it has a lot to do with personality. Lanois is a pretty happy-go-lucky guy who loves to "get down in the trenches" when it comes to making music with U2. (As an example of his down-to-earthness, my friend saw him in concert, emailed Lanois the next day to tell him he liked the show, and Lanois personally wrote back. Pretty cool.)

Eno is more of the cold, analytical professor type. I read most of his published diary & you kinda get the feeling that he's uber-creative, but a bit of a dick. The comments in U2 by U2 seem to fit that description...

Plus, from what I read, Lanois tends to spend more time with the band in the studio when making an album. Eno on the other hand just pops in from time to time and gives his opinion. Both are valuable to the band though.

Stuck sounds like a pop/gospelly song....and it should. It's the live acoustic version that completely flattens the song.

Let's just wait what happens with Rubin.

My choice (for beyond this current album) would be Lanois solo. Eno got his chance already on Zooropa and especially Passengers - and if Eno solo means that sound, pass.

Aygo said:
No it is not. Cross the production of a mid-tempo track from "Pop" with the typical blues song from the JT/Lovetown era and make it more "pop". That's "Stuck in a moment". There is nothing wrong with the production in the song.

Yes, there is. Stuck in a Moment is butchered and over-produced. The acoustic version, especially the one they played live is million times better. Kite sounds like it was recorded with the drums being 100 miles away from the guitar. I hated the song until I heard the beautiful live versions. When I Look at the World sounds messed up as well.

They overreacted with the polishness of the album, after the experience they had with Pop. I can't see anything that is in common with the production of Pop and ATYCLB.

My wish for the next U2 album(s) production is NO FLOOD. Stick him to mixing, with Lillywhite.

Aygo said:
One thing is to be raw and dark, another is to be unworked and rushed. some "Pop" songs include in the 2nd group (Please, LNOE, IGWSHA, Velvet Dress...).

That's the beauty of Pop. Its rawness and the fact that it is not polished enough. I love it.

djerdap said:

Yes, there is. Stuck in a Moment is butchered and over-produced. The acoustic version, especially the one they played live is million times better. Kite sounds like it was recorded with the drums being 100 miles away from the guitar. I hated the song until I heard the beautiful live versions. When I Look at the World sounds messed up as well.

They overreacted with the polishness of the album, after the experience they had with Pop. I can't see anything that is in common with the production of Pop and ATYCLB.

I disagree. The acoustic version is great too, but it always has the lack of... something, The album version is great as it is. I wouldn't change a thing and... it is not overproduced. For overproduction there are tones of other U2 songs like that.

Back
Top Bottom