"Music like the band had formed on Venus"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
anyone else think that beach clip 402 guitar rifft sounds like HMTMKMKM hmmm heavy distorted guitar

I heard the beach clips about a millenia ago. Where can we hear them now?

Anyway, I hope they do some of that "glam" stuff like HMTMKMKM again. That was a great sound, though it only ever showed on one song. It was wonderful. Bono's semi-distorted vocals with slap-echo=:combust: and :hyper:

Rob33 said:

good question, anyone have an educated guess?

Although, could Edge really sound like Metallica and think "wow, this is something special" ? :hmm:

Well if you take the hardest distortion pedals that Edge has ever used and the hardest distortion pedals available to him, the difference is a mile wide.

It could be anything and everything.

It could be 10% louder and harder than the guitar used on BTBS Zoo Tv or Vertigo and if Bono described that as 'molten metal' it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Even if it isn't what I would call 'molten metal'.

That's probably why I don't get worked up in the slightest about Bono's descriptions.

If U2 hasn't used it, Bono almost seems to think that it's brand new. Which does sort of defy his vast knowledge of the history and influence of rock and roll but if you consider what he's probably listening to in his daily life, it wouldn't surprise me if he were oblivous about certain sounds. The way he describes things sometimes, I think to myself "Jeez, Bono haven't you heard (fill in the blank)" It's one of the more curious things about him.

U2DMfan said:

Well if you take the hardest distortion pedals that Edge has ever used and the hardest distortion pedals available to him, the difference is a mile wide.

It could be anything and everything.

It could be 10% louder and harder than the guitar used on BTBS Zoo Tv or Vertigo and if Bono described that as 'molten metal' it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Even if it isn't what I would call 'molten metal'.

That's probably why I don't get worked up in the slightest about Bono's descriptions.

If U2 hasn't used it, Bono almost seems to think that it's brand new. Which does sort of defy his vast knowledge of the history and influence of rock and roll but if you consider what he's probably listening to in his daily life, it wouldn't surprise me if he were oblivous about certain sounds. The way he describes things sometimes, I think to myself "Jeez, Bono haven't you heard (fill in the blank)" It's one of the more curious things about him.

It's called: Hyping things up. Bono knows very well what he's talking about but he uses his vocabulary wisely. Besides, I like his enthusiasm about these things, even if we know we must take must of what he says with a grain of salt. Still, it gets me excited. I like his way of talking about the music much more than hearing some cool and highly sophisticated stuff without any enthusiasm.

What would you prefer Bono to say? ''Yeah the albums coming along ok,nothing really special though''. Imagine the stick he would get for that!

super fly guy said:
What would you prefer Bono to say? ''Yeah the albums coming along ok,nothing really special though''. Imagine the stick he would get for that!

"we're almost done, now i'm going to leave this meaningless presser so that we can get back to the studio because we really want it in our fans hands by the summer. they've earned it with their years of unwilting support through thick and thin. in fact, free tickets for everybody!"

"It's a big surprise when it'll come out. Check iTunes on Tuesday. *winks*"

super fly guy said:

well, a lot of people here just expect perfection from Bono in every sense of the word...

people are always going to have a problem with what Bono is saying and the kind of hyping up he does...as seen here, some people just can't take his hype, and they are compelled to come on to EYKIW and criticize and dissect everything he says...oh well :shrug:

but really, I don't believe people who say "I'd rather here nothing from Bono than hear him talk about how on fire Edge is or how they're music is sounding like it's from another planet right now." Oh really? You'd rather Bono not make one sound about the album from the end of the Vertigo tour until the release date than here him talk about it in one way or another? That's BS! Stop your whining :)

Can someone please let me know how I can hear the beach clips 402 that everyone's talkin about...........pleeeasseee..never heard them

All I know is it is about time for something concrete. I'm tired of getting all these "hype" comments that could really mean anything you want them to. It's an album year, guys! Let's do a little better.

I think I'm layin' off any posting/debates until something beside the following topics are discussed:

1. Anything about music from another planet

2. Anything that has to do with Edge and chemical reactions

3. "Hey, I'm so excited that Mercy is going to be on the new album! I said Mercy! That song: Mercy! Did I mention Mercy? It's this song that's more than likely on the new album. Oh? You didn't hear? It's called Mercy."

4. "They're going to be innovate?! Cool, I'll pretend like I didn't care about the last two albums and that they were really due for a change; that is, of course, until the album is released and I quickly cry about how they don't have the "classic U2" sound anymore"

5. "I don't care how innovative they say they'll be; it's just going to be another ATYCLB clone!"

6. Making a negative comment about the band, having someone call you out on it, and then making up some lame excuse to cover it up.

7. Basically anything that looks like we're sitting on our arses' doing nothing during the wait for new material

Oh..and

8. Using words that Bono would (like "Arse") to make yourself sound cool.

That is all from me until I get recording-in-progress updates, release dates, tracklistings, name/release of the next single, tour announcements, album artwork, etc.

I don't know if this is from the same source or not but here is another similar tidbit: http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1579985/20080121/story.jhtml

If "U2 3D" (which opens nationally on Wednesday) propels U2 into the future, the band's decision to tap Joshua Tree co-producers Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno to helm its forthcoming album is rooted in the intersection of past and future.

"Daniel Lanois is about the ancient," Bono said. "And Brian Eno is about the modern, the future, the things that haven't happened. And where they join - [a place] where something feels like it's always existed but you've never heard before - that's what those two seem to bring out in us. Daniel Lanois has this tradition and respect for folk music and respect for black music and gospel and blues. And Brian is still trying to make music for if the band had formed on Venus. Somewhere between that is our next album."

"If we don't make a truly great rock 'n roll record," he concluded, "Somebody should come after us."

Headache in a Suitcase said:

"we're almost done, now i'm going to leave this meaningless presser so that we can get back to the studio because we really want it in our fans hands by the summer. they've earned it with their years of unwilting support through thick and thin. in fact, free tickets for everybody!"

How realistic.

What's funny we have "why don't they give us some info?" posts all the time and when they do, nothing anyone in the band says seems to cut it. :hmm:
I would like it if they had complete media/new album silence for once in these 4 year runs in between albums. No U2 release machine, no promo tours, no interviews Maybe then the complaints would be warranted.

I don't take issue with lack of updates. It's the quality.

Meaning, the idiot press who interviews these guys almost never tries to extract musical information of any consequence. This week we did have some, which is cool. Usually, it's almost all a rehash of something somebody else reported.

Then fans who have the luxury of meeting them, 90% of them are too ga-ga to think and ask about the music. Ya, know? The reason the band exists in the first place?

I just would like to hear about the songs. I know it gets old to them, they are probably bored to tears by all the interviews they do but it would be nice if a reporter asked "how many songs are your working on?" "what about a timetable for release?" Instead it's something else.

It's cool though, I'm not anticipating a ton of news anytime soon.
I'm hoping by May-June, it will pick up severely. I predict they finish the album in late June, release in the Fall just like the last two. If there is no good news flowing by then, I reserve the right to be a little disappointed. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom