most emotional part of the album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
Whats the most emotional part of the album for you? For me its in Unknown Caller...when the organ hits and the guitar solo kicks in, its like the moment where the man realizes whats going on...I don't think i've ever been hit hard by any other song.

Probably the last few lines in COL, when Bono appears to be (although singing through a war correspondent) clearly addressing his detractors and saying that he knows they (press, media , etc.) have the ability to be his enemies but he is all too aware of them and is revealing his vulnerability at that power they hold over him. Or something like that anyway :D

I think the "I've found grace in a sound/I found grace, it's all I found" line in Breathe is the emotional climax of the album along being the central theme.

I'd have to agree with MikeyJB. though hes singing in character, i think thats the most honest part of the whole record and is a little bit heart wrenching. The fact the music all but drops completely away makes it that much more poignant

The southern-country twang of the "ATM machine" line on MOS, and the "speeding through the subway / waiting for the pain to stop" section, too. It's the new "hear me scratching / do you make me crawl?"

return the call to home

also Unknown Caller. like, the entire thing. I can't believe how amazing this song is.

Whats the most emotional part of the album for you? For me its in Unknown Caller...when the organ hits and the guitar solo kicks in, its like the moment where the man realizes whats going on...I don't think i've ever been hit hard by any other song.

Hmmm...

So whats your take on the whole song in terms of what going on and what it means. I really know nothing about it. I like the song but its not my fave.

I still don't understand whats going on in this song...why is he driving to a scene of an accident, was he in the accident?

It's hard to decide since there are so many. I can't choose between these:

"Infinity is a great place to start."

"Justify, till we die, you and I will magnify."

"I could see my reflection. A face staring back at me."

"I was right there at the top of the bottom. On the edge of the known universe, where I wanted to be. I had driven to the scene of the accident and I sat there waiting for me. Restart and reboot yourself. You're free to go."

"Soul rocking people moving on. Soul rocking people on and on. Come on ye people were made of stars." (Reminds me of Instant Karma)

"Head first, then foot; Then heart sets sail." (I think this is my favorite right now)

"I found grace inside a sound. I found grace it's all I found and now I can breathe."

"I have your face in an old polaroid. Tidying the children's clothes and toys. You're smiling back at me I took the photo from the fridge. I can't remember what then we did."

As soon as I thought I had it down I read this thread and realized there are SO many emotional moments. The whole dang thing is emotional! (And I mean that in the best possible way).

most of MOS, especially the "stations of the cross / counting down till the pain to stop" verse, it's kind of a shockingly good evocation of despair, something U2 doesn't normally do, there's always so hope, and i think MOS is about as bleak as they've ever been. gorgeously bleak.

the whole "it's not a hill/ it's a mountain" is tremendously uplifting and soaring in that best U2 kind of way.

the "and the water / it was icy" part of WAS.

the last few lines of COL and how it comes to a full stop.

I still don't understand whats going on in this song...why is he driving to a scene of an accident, was he in the accident?

Well, assuming that the song is about a man contemplating suicide:
'I had driven to the scene of the accident/and i sat there waiting for me'
To me, I get the sense of the man going to the place where hes planning on killing himself and waiting to get the courage (probably the wrong word) to do it. So in a sense hes at the scene and just waiting for the moment to place himself into it. The place could be real or it could be metaphorical.

Back
Top Bottom