Mos and breathe are candidates for future singles!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so was The Fly, then, if you look at it from that angle.

Boots will have life when people's ears adjust to it.

But, I would not say that the Fly was disjointed. I did not mean to imply that. It was thought of as strange for U2ers used to Joshua Tree and the Unforgettable Fire fans, though. And did not do well on the charts. Who cares now, right? But, I guess Boots is just thought of as strange period??? I don't really get why it is. It is just rock and roll. I guess people aren't used to that anymore either. It's (rock and roll) has been watered down for our ears. Boots is trying to keep that spirit alive.

mark my words, moment of surrender will be a HUGE hit for U2, it's exactly the kind of single they needed

Concerning MoS possible single release - I like it. It's not a song that people normally think of when they hear about "current U2." Lets not kid ourselves - whatever U2 releases will probably not be a huge hit, so whatever they DO release should stand out and, at the very least, peak people's curiousity.

...with that said, here are my choices for singles (in no specific order)...

NLOTH
MoS
Magnificent
Breathe

...fuck Boots :down:

Doesn't the article say they are CONTENDERS, not that they ARE future singles?

I would be disappointed if IGCIIDADHBLWEF isn't a single. It was writtin to be one. Has a classic chorus, and would burn on radio. If it's not, I don't see it's function on the album? Love the song, but they should have kept it for maybe the bonus track on best of 2000-2010, and given us EBW or Winter

mark my words, moment of surrender will be a HUGE hit for U2, it's exactly the kind of single they needed

This song has everything. It's emotional, it references drugs, love/hate, self loathing and or redemption. The question is can Bono channel that voice, live that makes it what it is? Give it the right video and the rest will take care of itself.
Lyrics are beyond great. :up:
If the radio public doesn't like it then fuck the radio. Some of them no longer have any remote possibility of having a clue, anyway. They are the ones who are no longer relevant. :angry:

This song has everything. It's emotional, it references drugs, love/hate, self loathing and or redemption. The question is can Bono channel that voice, live that makes it what it is? Give it the right video and the rest will take care of itself.
Lyrics are beyond great. :up:
If the radio public doesn't like it then fuck the radio. Some of them no longer have any remote possibility of having a clue, anyway. They are the ones who are no longer relevant. :angry:

Every casual fan ive played the album to says "love the album... I just don't GET track 3 though"

I really hope it isn't a single. A lost gem for the fans is it's destiny I feel. Something of the order of Heartland.

I truely feel that #3 will be CT, #4 will be Breathe, then late this year/early next year #5/1 EBW

I run into two kinds of fans of the album among my friends; those who tell me MoS is their favorite, and those who tell me Magnificent is their favorite. No one has mentioned a third track as the stand out....

As far as it being a lost gem, I think that fate is about as likely for MoS as it was for Bad or One.....

I run into two kinds of fans of the album among my friends; those who tell me MoS is their favorite, and those who tell me Magnificent is their favorite. No one has mentioned a third track as the stand out....

As far as it being a lost gem, I think that fate is about as likely for MoS as it was for Bad or One.....

"lost" wasn't the right word. Bad definately falls into the category of what I was thinking. By lost, I mean lost on the wider world of music. IE that it isn't a single, but a song the hardcores adore.

Every casual fan ive played the album to says "love the album... I just don't GET track 3 though"

I really hope it isn't a single. A lost gem for the fans is it's destiny I feel. Something of the order of Heartland.

It's just me. (well, lots of others too.) I would just love it to be a big hit because I think of it that way. :up:
I never put much stock in what casual fans think of an album. There aren't many listening to albums anylonger, so they wouldn't get it. IMO. :wink:

I run into two kinds of fans of the album among my friends; those who tell me MoS is their favorite, and those who tell me Magnificent is their favorite. No one has mentioned a third track as the stand out.

Good on them - that there seems to be equal love for MOS and Mag. :hug:
Not sure what you mean by the 3rd track thing? :shrug:

oops:
Edited to say: I see what you mean about the 3rd track thing.

I find it quite comical how people say MOS could be U2's biggest flop blah blah blah...LOL

And to those who say it's too long to be played on radio etc, remember "All I Want Is You" was reduced from 6:30 to 4:19 or so, "Please" radio edit was LONGER than the album version at 5 & a half minutes etc etc, there is no reason why they couldn't edit MOS down to 5 & a half minutes......even "New Years Day" cut out a full verse from the album version.

I will say, some of my non-u2 fan friends or very casual friends seem to think Moment of Surrender is very good and "how they like U2 to sound"...which I guess would be the more epic sounding/slower paced songs, but yeah.

From my experience thus far all my friends who have heard the album, fitting into the 18-22 bracket all think Breathe is a great song. Now this is people from a Rap, Heavy Metal background whom generally love to bash on U2.

Therefore I have come to the assumption that this would do very well in getting some new people interested as Breathe just seems to be an in your face rock song that is like a breath of fresh air.

Predicting that "Magnificent" will be the single that'll lead thia album (hopefully), the third single won't be out before July.

It won't be hard to edit the long intro and some little sections (transitions, middle-eights, even one of the verses), to accelerate a few BPM's (like they did with "Sometimes...") and to get a final run of +/- 5 min.
With a proper promotion and an interesting video, I can see "Moment Of Surrender" be a hit single, even more sucessful than Boots.

Then, yes, release "Crazy Tonight" as the 4th single (this song was designed to be a radio hit maker, it won't be a shame to include it in the album and not release it...).

Another song that I think it could turn into a classic is "White As Snow". Not necessarily into a radio hit, but maybe in any soundtrack, with a nice video...

Why's MOS so strange a choice?

AB - One
Zooropa - Stay
Pop - SATS
ATYCLB - Stuck
HTDAAB - Sometimes
NLOTH - MOS

They've always recorded and released a ballady/slow number type song as a single since 1991. :shrug:

Perhaps they should do a split release of Breathe and Crazy Tonight with Breathe targeting Rock/Alternative and Crazy Tonight targeting Hot AC etc.

They've been talking a lot about moment of surrender in interviews and stuff. It is way to long, maybe there'll be a very different version as a single, not jus chopped up for time. Anyone remeber how they sped up Sometimes?? I'm hope that if it does get relased as a single it'll be a very different track.

AB - One
Zooropa - Stay
Pop - SATS
ATYCLB - Stuck
HTDAAB - Sometimes
NLOTH - MOS

They've always recorded and released a ballady/slow number type song as a single since 1991. :shrug:

Stuck in a Moment is a ballady/slow number type song?

and as for moment of surrender, 7 minute ballads do not a hit single make.

winter blows, and god forbid they put out a song that allows them to stay commercialy relevant. oh, the humanity.

you probably would have told the stones to cut satisfaction 'cause it was too catchy.

Two points.

Moment Of Surrender could recieve radio play. It is U2 here, the greatest band in the world, there is gonna be some appeal. Green Day released Jesus Of Suburbia, which was very popular, and that track went for about 9 minutes, and I've heard it heaps on the radio.

I'm all for commercial relevance. That's why they shouldn't release Crazy Tonight, because it'll be too obvious to casual and non-U2 fans that Bono is struggling with the chorus. He's not pulling it off as well as he has in other songs. Heeel not a mountainnnn, gasping for breath....It sounds weak.

Breathe (3) and Magnificent (2) have a ton more commercial appeal than Crazy Tonight, Moment of Surrender and Stand Up Comedy might even have greater potential.

They've been talking a lot about moment of surrender in interviews and stuff. It is way to long, maybe there'll be a very different version as a single, not jus chopped up for time. Anyone remeber how they sped up Sometimes?? I'm hope that if it does get relased as a single it'll be a very different track.

I remember. :up:

and MOS was born in Fez. They are in Fez doing a video for Magnificent, supposely. But what if.. Mos is the real target here. :drool:
Ok, well at least practice it.
Bono said in some article or interview - they haven't practiced MOS yet.
I want to hear this song everywhere. (dreaming out loud)

the reason they are so hesitant to release MOS is because everyone now underestimates the listening public. Everyone just assumes everyone's an idiot who can't handle a song with the slightest bit of dissonance. That's why we are in the worst radio era of all time.

AB - One
Zooropa - Stay
Pop - SATS
ATYCLB - Stuck
HTDAAB - Sometimes
NLOTH - MOS

MOS is nothing like those songs, you cant compare it with any at all... it's a nice song but would not work...

There is no Hit Ballad on this album, although Magnificent has a Ballad vibe in parts...

MOS certainly does NOT fit on regular radio.

I'd rather they released Breathe, Stand up Comedy and NLOTH after Magnificent. These songs are the ones I'd say have singles potential.

MOS is too beautiful to be on the radio. It's not for ears that are used to hear radio friendly tunes.

sometimes, the songs that sound great but "don't fit" on the radio, are the songs that stand out and have the most radio success, and inspire countless other copies from other artists, and that's what MOS can be. I don't buy this "it doesn't work" as a single crap. Crazy Tonight would be a bad choice for a single, it's U2 by the numbers, it's time for U2 to shake things up and show off some new sounds.

Back
Top Bottom