Mos and breathe are candidates for future singles!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If they release MOS as a fourth single, they wouldn't have much to lose and everything to gain at that point.

I think they should have some really high-profile director do a mind-blowing, inventive video for MOS to help draw more attention to the song.

I reckon Breathe would make a great single as I think it can have an excellent video, I've got a few ideas for what they can do. :up:

I cant see why so many are already into bashing Crazy Tonight. Yes, its U2 by numbers and is radio friendly with mass appeal, but it has alot more to it than other songs like that. Certainly more than 2 half ATYCLB. It has been great every time live, and the song sounds like it has been around for years while being just different enough to grab your attention.

This is a spectacular song that only gets the criticism it gets because it is on such a great album. Just because it is one dimensional and straightforward does not mean it is any less of a song. It is not boring like much of HTDAAB and ATYCLB get accused of.

Winter in place of crazy tonight, absolutely not. WInter on the album as well, or as a bonus track would have been good though.

I hope to god they do release MOS instead of doing further damage to their credibility by releasing Crazy Tonight.

Every time I think of passing this album along to someone with good taste in music, I imagine them hitting track 5 and then doing one of these: :doh:

Crazy IS a really good song, but MoS is a masterpiece... At this point many people don't want to give U2 a chance, just because they're sick of Bono. MoS will FORCE them to pay attention.

Thank god I hope this gets released as a single, I like Crazy but you know.....

In regards to length can anyone say Like a rolling stone, can anyone say Stairway to heaven? Which was never even a single and STILL gets huge radio play.

I think they have nothing to lose by releasing moment of surrender as the 4th and final single. The 4th single from the past few albums have done absolutely nothing and by releasing MOS it may at least get noticed due to its uniqueness.

In my opinion, Eno was right. Moment of Surrender could've got airplay being the lead-off single. It's new U2! - it's going to get played enough to have a chance to catch on. Boots was weak for a single (i.e. not immediately catchy) but it was given a chance. MOS would've worked as the lead-off, but I'm pretty sure it has no chance now...

Hey people isnt it great idea to put mos,breath and crazy as singles.those three different songs,and each one deserves attention,so let it be five singles from great album.this album as ab deserves at least five singles and huge promotion-big tour etc

In my opinion, until Winter is restructured and released (presumably from Songs of Ascent), MOS is really the only song I've heard that has a chance to be a big hit single. It has very broad appeal.

Even a great song Magnificent has limited appeal. I'm no expert on the charts, but I would imagine in order for a song to have any real success on the single charts, it has to appeal to non-U2 fans: teens, older people, people who aren't particularly into music. More than any other song from NLOTH, MOS has that potential.

In my opinion, until Winter is restructured and released (presumably from Songs of Ascent), MOS is really the only song I've heard that has a chance to be a big hit single. It has very broad appeal.

Even a great song Magnificent has limited appeal. I'm no expert on the charts, but I would imagine in order for a song to have any real success on the single charts, it has to appeal to non-U2 fans: teens, older people, people who aren't particularly into music. More than any other song from NLOTH, MOS has that potential.

you are partly right...but magnificent will be huge hit anyway...no matter because it is u2-ish song

Most it not all of U2's radio "hits" in the past were not necessarily radio friendly at the time. New Year's Day, Pride, WOWY, Streets, One....even Beautiful Day. In my opinion, U2 should simply release the songs it is most proud of and that it will excel at playing live (see Do You Feel Loved which arguably was "radio friendly" but U2 struggled to play live).

MOS is a powerful and memorable song that should be remembered for years to come. It may have the potential to penetrate the narrow minds of the programmers. Even if it doesn't and it receives limited airplay - who cares? As I have said before, radio should conform to the song, the song should not conform to the radio.

and as for moment of surrender, 7 minute ballads do not a hit single make.

Good news.

Though it baffles me as to why Crazy Tonight was even on the album at all, I thought it might've been a demand from McGuinne$$ to have something with a bit more obvious commercial appeal, hence the exclusion of the gorgeous Winter and the reason why the Linear tracklisting wasn't the final tracklisting.

It might indeebe a 5th single, but 5th singles rarely matter much anyway...

A real shame, particularly with Bono's struggling vocal in the chorus on IGCIIDGCT...very frustrating.

Linear gets more and more preferable every day....

winter blows, and god forbid they put out a song that allows them to stay commercialy relevant. oh, the humanity.

you probably would have told the stones to cut satisfaction 'cause it was too catchy.

I know a lot of people don't like it (I do though :reject:), but I'm surprised they don't have Stand Up Comedy on the list of singles. Especially after the amount of time and effort they put into it.

It's going to be GOYB, Magnificent, Crazy Tonight, and Breathe. If they do decide to release a 5th single I'd like to see NLOTH given a shot. It's too bad the album version is so declawed compared to the live version and compared to NLOTH2. It could have been a sure-fire single.

A tightened-up MOS could be huge. But Crazy Tonight needs to gets out there. In a perfect universe it would have went

1st single -Crazy Tonight
2nd - Magnificent
3rd - MOS
4th - Breathe

A tightened-up MOS could be huge. But Crazy Tonight needs to gets out there. In a perfect universe it would have went

1st single -Crazy Tonight
2nd - Magnificent
3rd - MOS
4th - Breathe

Hindsight's 20/20, but I think it should have been:

1) Magnificent
2) Breathe
3) Crazy Tonight
4) Moment of Surrender

Boots is a great tune. Just because it did not do well on the charts does not kill it's longevity. It is hard for music like this (aka good music) to do well on the pop charts anymore. They are not built for that. They are built for something greater.

MOS doesnt seem like a good single release in my eyes.

Breathe on the otherhand deserves a shot. Same goes for Crazy Tonight and Stand Up Comedy.

I know a lot of people don't like it (I do though :reject:), but I'm surprised they don't have Stand Up Comedy on the list of singles. Especially after the amount of time and effort they put into it.

I can honestly say that SUC is the only song I've never once skipped over. I can't quite figure out why so many don't like it.

I can honestly say that SUC is the only song I've never once skipped over. I can't quite figure out why so many don't like it.

The guitar solo reminds me of AB era U2. It's got that great funk side to it. I can almost imagine The Fly singing it. :love:

really? i actually considered deleting it from my IPOD and pretending it never existed. i've warmed up to it a little since then, but i truly feel that U2 made 10 brilliant songs on an 11 song album, with SUC being the ugly duckling.

I think it really shows that this is a true "album" when so many people disagree about so many songs. I personal dislike UC, but some people consider it one of their favorites while I love SUC. My singles would have been...

1.) Magnificent
2.) Breathe
3.) Crazy Tonight
4.) Stand Up Comedy
5.) Moment of Surrender (I can see this going the way Species went during HTDAB. A good single, but a somewhat forgettable one to non-fans)

I think Breathe, and Crazy Tonight or Stand Up Comedy are the most likely, MOS could be interesting to present to the world, but I doubt it will hit. One is a universally applicable song (although some uses of it bug me a lot) and didn't need a substantial edit, it won't be the same kind of hit. (But I also thought Viva la Vida wouldn't work commercially when I first heard that song, so what do I know about current music sales?)

Back
Top Bottom