More New Song Titles Emerge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd rather a one word title, or a weird phrase like "The Joshua Tree" or "Achtung Baby" or "Acrobat" or even "Wire" than some cheesey, cringeworthy title like "Sacred Heart"

U2 + sacred heart + scrubs =

0.jpg

:huh:

Sacred Heart Of Malibu sounds an awful lot like Flowering Rose Of Glastonbury. Maybe they changed the title? :hmm:

Sacred Heart Of Malibu sounds an awful lot like Flowering Rose Of Glastonbury. Maybe they changed the title? :hmm:

Huh, how? :scratch:

And I doubt they'd ever do that, seeing as Glastonbury is already finished and they're likely going to play it next year at the festival itself.

Another song from NLOTH sessions named

There is a Daniel Lanois book review on atu2.com, and it has the following bit:

Unveiling his enthusiasm for No Line on the Horizon, which they were working on at the time Lanois was scripting this book, he mentions loving the title track and also expressing excitement for a song called "Welcome." Either "Welcome" didn't make the NLOTH cut, or it morphed into something different and earned a new name. Color me curious, because the way Lanois describes it, with multiple harmonies and two separate Larry drumbeats, it doesn't sound like anything already out there. He says, "This is the type of rock song I want to listen to."

:hmm:

Heart of Malibu = Edge's house ?

Another "city" song after Miami and New York ?

Anyway...some titles are better than others.

Do we have to start a new thread for every little new piece of information about song titles? :reject: There was just a new thread on this subject (although not with these exact news) started only a couple of days ago...:huh:

On topic:
Sounds interesting, that's not the pedal-steel number he mentioned a while back either right?

That doesn't sound like any NLOTH song or any of the Rubin beach clips does it ?

Two drumbeats and multiple harmonies ?

That doesn't sound like any NLOTH song or any of the Rubin beach clips does it ?

Two drumbeats and multiple harmonies ?

Well, the Rubin beach clips are pretty much identified at this stage:
  • DSCN0400 = Can't You See = Window In The Skies
  • DSCN0402 = I Believe = The Boy Falls From The Sky
  • DSCN0403 = Thank You = Thank You For The Day (Still unreleased by U2, played live by Lanois)
  • DSCN0404 = All My Life = ??
  • DSCN0409 = Albert Hammond Jr. - In Transit (From his album Yours To Keep, 2006)

In conclusion, that leaves only All My Life as the potential candidate to be this new "Welcome" song. I don't think it is this one.

The first No Line On The Horizon track that sprung to mind with the multiple harmonies quote was Get On Your Boots, and then Unknown Caller. But I assume he would've mentioned it in the book if it was any of these, especially since he documented parts of the evolution of Unknown Caller in his movie Here Is What Is.

Maybe Edge_Orchestra has got something to add to the investigation?

It probably had to be pushed off the album for the uninspired Dad Rock of the middle 1/3rd of the record.

To reach a point where "Stand Up Comedy" or "Crazy Tonight", etc is a keeper, you either have to put it up against a truly terrible track, or have completely lost the plot.

It's like saying "Yeah, I've got this Rembrant waiting to be hung in my gallery, but this Thomas Kinkaide is already there sooooooo..."

It probably had to be pushed off the album for the uninspired Dad Rock of the middle 1/3rd of the record.

To reach a point where "Stand Up Comedy" or "Crazy Tonight", etc is a keeper, you either have to put it up against a truly terrible track, or have completely lost the plot.

It's like saying "Yeah, I've got this Rembrant waiting to be hung in my gallery, but this Thomas Kinkaide is already there sooooooo..."

It could be that they felt like it just didn't "fit" with the rest of the album; it doesn't necessarily suck worse than SUC.

It could be that they felt like it just didn't "fit" with the rest of the album; it doesn't necessarily suck worse than SUC.

Oh I didn't mean to seriously suggest anything could be worse than SUC. I was trying to get at the idea that the band completely lost the plot near the end of the recording sessions and tried to play it safe when they realized they had an album of cool esoteric music that probably wouldn't get much airplay. I <3 "Cedars of Lebanon", "White as Snow", "Fez - Being Born" to name but a few, but I'm not going to be crazy (tonight) and imagine them on the radio.

Looking back, I should had phrased my original post better to make it clear that SUC, et al were the Thomas Kinkade paintings. ;)

Oh I didn't mean to seriously suggest anything could be worse than SUC. I was trying to get at the idea that the band completely lost the plot near the end of the recording sessions and tried to play it safe when they realized they had an album of cool esoteric music that probably wouldn't get much airplay. I <3 "Cedars of Lebanon", "White as Snow", "Fez - Being Born" to name but a few, but I'm not going to be crazy (tonight) and imagine them on the radio.

Looking back, I should had phrased my original post better to make it clear that SUC, et al were the Thomas Kinkade paintings. ;)

I get what you're saying and I think you're right. They probably got worried that the songs on NLOTH weren't accessible enough for the radio and slapped the Middle Three in there just to be safe. They need to stop using the easy stuff as a safety net and just go for it! But that's another discussion altogether.

But they were right. The album didn't get any airplay because it didn't have the big single. I know on NYC radio, they only play the singles.

When there's no hit single to drive album sales, it hurts the tour. Sure, the tour sold old, but very few stadium goers knew the new material, so the new songs didn't go over too well, and then they yanked the new stuff from the show.

^^

Yep. Exactly.

I know its 2010 and we get our music in an entirely different way than we did in 1980, but singles and airplay still matter a great deal.

Back
Top Bottom