Moment Of Surrender is overrated thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
there's a video on u2.com where eno says it's his favourite and he wanted it to be released as the single...to make a statement
to be honest, the first time I heard I had shivers...right now I'm repeating it over and over again and I don't get tired of it...this takes you to heaven
I let some friends listen to it (who are no u2 fans) and they all say they like it a lot.
I work in a record store, I own more than a thousand cd's from all different artists and this song is one of the best songs I've heard ever.

It rarely happens that I can listen to a songs 20 times in a row and not getting tired of it.
Everything is perfect about it.

In my opinion...this might be my favourite u2 track ever :applaud:

What video??...Link please! :wave:

i like MOS because its different. i like that they didn't try to make another one or wowoy.

i don't think there is anyway that this song will ever be a huge hit, or a big stadium crowd pleaser. way too many people don't have the attention span to ever make it become really big.

its also u2's fault to a degree, that some fans will not like this song. when you write so many great songs, in a similar vain (the building song to the huge ending), when you don't some fans will be put off. they feel betrayed, its like u2 is not being u2. i remember a very similar reaction by joshua tree fans, when ab came out.

Now, I'm somewhat of a hypocrite here; I can acknowledge that. I criticise ATYCLB/HTDAAB for having banal, direct lyrics. Somebody who's lived different experiences to me might actually find they're great because they perfectly describe certain times, places, emotions, and who am I to say that the fact they find it great while I find it banal is due to a poorer grasp of English? That's silliness.

Enjoyment of music is so subjective that honestly I think a quest to find objectives is superfluous to requirements. Just enjoy what you enjoy, you know? There are far bigger things to worry about than whether or not some person on the Internet agrees that MOS's lyrics are balls.

this post is nice to read coming from you. its funny though, that you were chastising the guy in the previous post about being too objective sounding about something so objective. there was a time (not all that long ago) that you were so over the top concrete about your very subjective opinions as being right. i remember reading your posts, and not just ignoring them, and thinking they were like reading something i would have written when i was 17.

its funny what a couple of years of experience can make.

never understood why a song like One Step Closer got flack for being about a simple subject, but a song like Running to Stand Still is considred so much deeper because its about heroine use. I love both songs, but I find the subject of comfortably, and gracefully growing old (OSC) much more complicated than being addicted to heroine (RTSS), which I have no experience with (luckily).

its all subjective, but I can admit that OSC is much more direct than RTSS, but its only an opinion if thats good or bad.

I also think that if Bono/U2 tried to write a song about heroine addiction now it wouldnt be all that great or relevant since I doubt theyve had close experiences with heroine lately. but the subject of growing old is obviously first and foremost on their minds now.

as for MOS, I thought it was over rated too. then I was skiing this past weekend without my ipod and it was stuck in my head all day and I loved it.

still dont like the solo though...

It's my least played song probably, I don't think it's poor, the album doesn't have any songs I avoid, it just feels like one of those 'be in the mood' songs and after Magnificent I skip, other times? yeah, it gets aired...

MOS is not in my top 5 in the album. Int the entire U2 collection, it doesn't make my top 50. If that means it's overrated, then I think it's overrated.

The chorus just kills me. I imagine the boys standing in a line like a goofy boy band dancing side to side in unison with a leg kick and clapping as they sing. I just can't get that image out of my head. It's cheesy, corny, goofy and it sucks.

I do love Bono's voice in the solo, the lyrics, and the message of the song. Great potential but the chorus absolutely kills it for me.

Great song, that keeps improving for me on every listen. Not a singalong killer song, I don't even think it will work live. But it creates an atmosphere I've not heard in a U2 song since Passengers (I think its Your Blue Room's energetic cousin).

I like the song, great atmosphere on it and I enjoy Bono's performance, but the chorus seems very out of place to me. Edge's guitar playing left me wanting more. Oh well, maybe live.

I like the song, but that chorus with all the voices that come in, I really don't like. Other than that it is a good song, and Bono's voice is very powerful. Lyrically I don't think it's as good as other U2 songs I've heard. In terms atmosphere it is very good but what I dislike also is there isn't a driving sound that makes songs like One or WOWY sound great.

Great song, that keeps improving for me on every listen. Not a singalong killer song, I don't even think it will work live. But it creates an atmosphere I've not heard in a U2 song since Passengers (I think its Your Blue Room's energetic cousin).

with the differance that Your blue room IS actually a kick ass song with some of Bono's best vocals EVER. Man would that been great on this album instead of this wannabee gospel :drool:

Hardly overrated. Best song they've written this decade. Even better than Kite. One of the few songs in the 2000s to stand up there with their pre-ATYCLB work.

Thanks for posting this.

If watching Eno describe the genesis and performance of this song doesn't convince you of its merit and power, I feel extremely sorry for you.

It only validates what I've been feeling since the first time I heard it. This really is one for the ages, and is about as pure an expression from talented and thoughtful musical artists as one could ever hope to hear.

Ain't gonna happen. I'm willing to bet my car that this song will not be a worldaccepted classic. It is good but not a lifechanger. I am sorry

To you. Btw, which car do you have? :wink:

i can just see the people running for the bathroom during this song on the upcoming:reject: tour. much like miracle drug on the vertigo tour.

To you. Btw, which car do you have? :wink:

:) The most beautifull car in the world for me at least. a second hand Jaguar E-type roadster which I am EXTREMELY proud of so I am normally carefull when it commes to statements like this concerning "her":wink:

MOS is a song that's so unusual, so weird, so haunting, and so unconventional that it will stay under the radar of most casual fans and non-U2 fan radio listener types. But musically, lyrically, and vocally, the song is mind-blowing. Bono said in an interview that the song is situated in the same spot on the album that "One" was for Achtung Baby, and I think that was all he needed to say. It's the most majestic song they've done since "One"

I’d say there’s little to no chance it will be a single.

I adore the song, but do have one gripe: The ending. It’s like they had a 30 second warning go off and needed to wrap it up quickly. Bono just goes into some oh oh oh’s lifted from Stay, then they just finish it up. Kind of doesn’t do the rest of the song justice, a bit of a disappointment really. Great place for Eno to lose his shit for a bit, or some kind of more delicate arrangement between the strings/organ/synth/Edge, or maybe just let it fade out over time the way it began – the train just keeps rolling on.

Again, a reminder that this isn't the MoS hate thread. I like the song (about a 7/10) I just think it fails to live up to the hype and pales in comparison to their other dark songs.

I adore the song, but do have one gripe: The ending. It’s like they had a 30 second warning go off and needed to wrap it up quickly. Bono just goes into some oh oh oh’s lifted from Stay, then they just finish it up. Kind of doesn’t do the rest of the song justice, a bit of a disappointment really. Great place for Eno to lose his shit for a bit, or some kind of more delicate arrangement between the strings/organ/synth/Edge, or maybe just let it fade out over time the way it began – the train just keeps rolling on.

This is exactly what I said the first time I heard it.

I already edited a new version of the song to fade out right before that last drum crash.

Thanks for posting this.

If watching Eno describe the genesis and performance of this song doesn't convince you of its merit and power, I feel extremely sorry for you.

It only validates what I've been feeling since the first time I heard it. This really is one for the ages, and is about as pure an expression from talented and thoughtful musical artists as one could ever hope to hear.

People really forget things quickly don't they.

If people remember, One was written during the breakdown of the Edge's first marriage, at a time when the band itself nearly split.

It was written and recorded in Berlin, capturing the emotion surrounding the fall of the Berlin wall and the reunification of Germany, which was a landmark moment in the 20th century.

It is very hard for a song like MoS to recreate the incredible circumstances which gave birth to One, (and which gave the song much of it's intensity and power).

This is exactly what I said the first time I heard it.

I already edited a new version of the song to fade out right before that last drum crash.

The 'ohhs' at the end are completely uninspired, unlike the vocalisation at the end of One for instance.

Back
Top Bottom