Moment Of Surrender is overrated thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MOS was my instant favorite on NLOTH. It's one of my all-time favorite U2 songs. So take that! :D

Not overrated at all. I've listened to it maybe a dozen times and I still think it's an instant U2 classic. Love the lyrics, chorus, Bono's vocals..everything works here.

It's one of my favorite songs, but I admit it took time to appreciate it —and I don't think I'm done comprehending it. I think it's like that way with much of the album —it's a slow cooker. I remember I didn't like "Gone and "Please" on "Pop" for the first couple of weeks and now they're two of my favorite songs on that album. I'm still not forming any firm opinions on NLOTH.

I especially like the song because they haven't tried too hard with it.

Btw, One's chord progression is quite basic and the harmony and percussion throughout the song is quite bland. The part I like in One is the crescendo.

However, MOS I prefer because it doesn't follow the verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus in the vocal melody - instead following a more classical Beatles style of having a few ideas and interchanging them throughout the song. The music fits the mood in the sense of the thematic concern of the song and the album of understanding one's self/overcoming obstacles (whatever way you interpret it) and the beauty is that I don't think the persona in the song resolves these issues and is still lost. Thus, flowing into Unknown Caller so fluently.

Therefore, keeping the idea alive that NLOTH is a concept album

Umm, everyone looking for comparisons, have we all forgotten a small 80s song they did called I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For?

hey, good call.

Yeah so, I don't know what to do about this thread. Do I love the song? yes. Is it one of my favourites on the album? Um, it depends on my mood.

I have to admit the chorus threw me off, and it took me awhile to get used to it. The verses though...absolutely stunning vocal delivery. Easily one of Bono's best vocal takes, ever. And apparently all done in one take? Well played boys.

Okay I know this thread is supposed to be about how it's overrated, and I came in here with the intention of saying I kinda agreed, but I lied. I think it's amazing. Sorry OP.

So does anyone seriously thinks this song is a match for One, WOWY, AIWIY, LIB etc?

Does anyone think it is rather contrived, the backing instrumentation is boring, and the song doesn't build up too much.

And what about the chorus? It seriously sounds like the Edge and Bono are singing a Christmas carol, doesn't suit the song.

It's only a 3 or 3.5 star song for me. One of the disappointments of the album, seeing how it was touted as being the next One.

Bono's wailing ruined it. He is not, nor has he ever been, a gospel-type singer. Trying to do gospel-like vocals killed what was a beautiful opening and thereby ruined the song for me. I'm hoping it grows on me over time, as some of the instrumentation IS nice. But it is certainly NOT anything nearly as amazing as WOWY, nor it is the next "One".

Sadly, I think the bitching is just about to begin, I think I just might be going to my bomb shelter (or my bitch shelter) and live there for about a month.

Yes, of course you can.

We'll listen to NLOTH without hearing any bitching from outside, we'll enjoy MOS and Magnificent and SUC and everything else. :wink:
hope you have room enough for me... if this forum turns into a NLOTH bash fest then im out

You're overated!!

Anyway, MoS is definitely my favorite from the album. I knew it would probably be before I even heard it.

I'm a sucker for U2's slower, more ambient songs. Your Blue Room is my favorite U2 song, and this kind of reminds me of a Passengers song too. Plus I love how Bono sings it. Also probably the best lyrics on the album too.

hope you have room enough for me... if this forum turns into a NLOTH bash fest then im out

There's room for everyone that doesn't want to witness this bitching.

Well not everyone, a limited amount of people, first come first served, we'll be underground and eating from a can.:wink:

There's room for everyone that doesn't want to witness this bitching.

Well not everyone, a limited amount of people, first come first served, we'll be underground and eating from a can.:wink:
Good job i was just thinking about that lol

razredge: You know, what really worried me about MOS is the fact that I thought it was going to be a traditional U2 ballad (slow start, gradual build, climax... something forced (e.g. SYCMIOYO) - I was so happy with what they gave us! And I also don't think of this song as Adult Contemporary... unless you count hymns as AC :shrug:

Well, actually its exactly like SYCMIOYO in a lot of ways actually, (apart from the minimalist musical side), the lyrics are cringey at times etc.

And people just because you have listened One to death, doesn't mean the song is bad, it's your fault, and you're just more interested in the song with the shiney 'new U2' stamp on it.

The first time I heard One, I must have listened to it about 8 times that day, it was that good a song. MoS I listened to twice and the second time was to see what all the fuss was about.

His singing is rather contrived on MoS at times, look at the way he chokes out 'on our wedding day' to add 'emotion', sounds absolutely horrible as well.

Wheras on One Bono's voice is faultless , the words have a melody in themselves, and are not confined to the rigid, traditional structures we find in MoS (which just expose how boring the backing track is btw), nor does Bono rely on twee lyric reversals for half of the lyrics, and makes slips like "ATM machine'.

Simply put MoS does not have the intelligence of One, it may sound like a great dark ballad but only as you long as you don't scrutinise it closely. (a bit like Crazy Tonight really)

one thing about the ATM remark that saves it from being completely ridiculous is that the acronym for 'at the moment' is ATM so it kind of fits in a weird irish luck sort of way

No, but Magnificent is.

The comparisons to One, WOWY are coming because the song is that strong and U2 got that kind of inspiration.

I like the ATM remark - the contrast of modern technology and feeling completely lost. And Bono's had far, far worse lines on NLOTH.

Well, actually its exactly like SYCMIOYO in a lot of ways actually, (apart from the minimalist musical side), the lyrics are cringey at times etc.

And people just because you have listened One to death, doesn't mean the song is bad, it's your fault, and you're just more interested in the song with the shiney 'new U2' stamp on it.

The first time I heard One, I must have listened to it about 8 times that day, it was that good a song. MoS I listened to twice and the second time was to see what all the fuss was about.

His singing is rather contrived on MoS at times, look at the way he chokes out 'on our wedding day' to add 'emotion', sounds absolutely horrible as well.

Wheras on One Bono's voice is faultless , the words have a melody in themselves, and are not confined to the rigid, traditional structures we find in MoS (which just expose how boring the backing track is btw), nor does Bono rely on twee lyric reversals for half of the lyrics, and makes slips like "ATM machine'.

Simply put MoS does not have the intelligence of One, it may sound like a great dark ballad but only as you long as you don't scrutinise it closely. (a bit like Crazy Tonight really)

Yeah completely agree. That on One Bono's voice is faultless. The rest of your post? :huh:

I can't see the point of view of all those who don't 'get' this song, because, the first time i heard that first line, 'I tied myself with wire...', the first time I listened to it, it smacked the shit out of me.
I was like a possum in the headlights.

"What the fuck. Did Bono just make that sound with his voice? Did he just sing THAT lyric and MEAN it. Oh God, U2 are back"

So with that experience from my first listen, it's pretty hard to be critical.
The chorus is understated, or dull, depending on your take.
Musically it's subtle, sincere, or, if you don't like it, it doesn't go anywhere.
:heart:

Another point I would like to make, is that many people who love the song, may be non native English speakers (and indeed many native speakers as well), who may not necessarily understand the subtleties of the English language and what sets apart a great lyric from a simply great sounding one.

For instance I remember one guy who didn't like One, because he claimed the lyrics were 'mean'.

And again just so people don't misunderstand me:
I like the first couple of verses and how he sings them, I dislike what they did with the rest of the song including the chorus.

Another point I would like to make, is that many people who love the song, may be non native English speakers (and indeed many native speakers as well), who may not necessarily understand the subtleties of the English language and what sets apart a great lyric from a simply great sounding one.
ah yes, my apologies, that must be it :up:

Back
Top Bottom