Moment Of Surrender Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally Posted by allcub
I like that "atm machine" lyric - It fits with the whole journey through the streets kinda trip - it's not the use of an ATM, but Automatic Teller Machine machine."

In fairness, I know in Dublin at least and I think all over Ireland, people say "ATM Machine" all the time, even though that's what the "M" is for. My dad says it, all my friends in Dublin and Kerry - I think it's an "irish thing" - even if it means Automatic Teller Machine Machine.

A lot of people say PIN number, its just one of those things that end up society that is worng,
Personal Identification Number Number,

same thing, im not too fussed about it.

What a tune though very dark, tortured self pitying song, like it :ohmy:

"Playin' with the fire till the fire played with me."

Damn...If that doesn't bring you to your knees I dunno what will.

This is gonna play at my funeral. What a song. This is the spiritual U2 we love and know.

Hear that reggae bass from Adam?

"It's not if I believe in love, if love believes in me"

Play this song and watch the world wars stop.

My favorite on the album because it is gospel like only U2 can make. But damn, are those other songs mighty fine too.

I've heard this song about 8 times now and OMG! The first time I heard it, I got a bit of a shiver. Now it's like chills running down my spine. EVERYTHING is perfect. The music, the lyrics and Bono's and then their voices together.

Holy moly... :heart:

Standing and :applaud:

Yes, there's no way this song will be kept off radio. It'll have to be edited for radio, but it'll definitely be a single. It's Still Haven't Found meets One. And in 10 years, it'll be right up there with those songs among U2's classics.

Yes, there's no way this song will be kept off radio. It'll have to be edited for radio, but it'll definitely be a single. It's Still Haven't Found meets One. And in 10 years, it'll be right up there with those songs among U2's classics.

This is my thinking. In my own mind I already have it placed at that level. This song is immense in it's depth and emotion.

"Playin' with the fire till the fire played with me."

Damn...If that doesn't bring you to your knees I dunno what will.

This is gonna play at my funeral. What a song. This is the spiritual U2 we love and know.

Hear that reggae bass from Adam?

"It's not if I believe in love, if love believes in me"

Play this song and watch the world wars stop.

Just heard this part ... greatgreatgreaattt .. mindblowing
over and over again

And in 10 years, it'll be right up there with those songs among U2's classics.

:up:

If I am certain about anything at all, concerning this album, MOS is going to be immortalized among the great U2 classics. This one and Magnificent are in that boat. I am certain of this.

This is such a classic song. U2 got their Mojo back.

couldn't have said it better myself.

from the walmart clips, thought this would be a "massive attach" sort of ambient trip hop song, and it has that feel but its' a gospel tune? only u2....

couldn't have said it better myself.

from the walmart clips, thought this would be a "massive attach" sort of ambient trip hop song, and it has that feel but its' a gospel tune? only u2....

I think you've nailed it....it's a gospel tune. Whatever your gospel may be, but I think that's it.

I love B's voice in this. It's beyond my ability to put into words.

Just, wow.

I can picture U2 singing this with a whole gospel actually listening to Unknown Caller right now I would say the same thing.

The chanting in MOS reminds me of the chanting in Lemon. I didn't listen to both back to back, to confirm but it has sort of the same feel.

forgive me if this has been mentioned, but something about this song irks me. I am not a trained musical theorist nor do I know much more about writing music then a deaf monkey, but Bono's last note he sings on the chorus (it's the "me" in the "they did not notice me") seems its a little too high or a little too low and doesnt properly close out the chorus' note sequence.

I believe this is the concept of dissonance and consonance and to me, the last note in the chorus sounds dissonant.

Am I truly a deaf monkey???

It still amazes me how I don't feel the 7,5 minutes on that song. I was scared it would be too long, but it isn't one second to long. Beautiful song, very deep, there's a lot to discover. It also has a very sad mood and atmosphere.

It still amazes me how I don't feel the 7,5 minutes on that song. I was scared it would be too long, but it isn't one second to long. Beautiful song, very deep, there's a lot to discover. It also has a very sad mood and atmosphere.

Yeah I know. Its actually not long enough. The Edge solo could have been longer but I still love it :drool:

The drum beat reminds me of Throwing your Arms Around the World. Anyways I love the beat. :applaud:Ok this and Magnificent are my two faves now. Edges solo. :drool: Very thick like Love is Blindness solo.

I think this is one of their career highlights. My only gripe is that I would prefer it to fade out instead of coming to a complete stop, something U2 has unfortunately had a problem with this decade (there's only like 2 songs on the last 3 albums that fade out).

In my opinion Bono's strongest vocal in god knows how long, probably since Zooropa.

I said it in another thread, but if this doesn't win a Song of the Year or Record of the Year Grammy someone is going to have to die. Lyrically and musically there are few artists who could deliver something like this trip hop-gospel masterpiece.

Back
Top Bottom