Mojo Interview with Adam Clayton on NLOTH/Next Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcrt2000

Refugee
Exclusive Adam Clayton Q&A! - - Mojo

There was sort of an 11th hour scenario, because we got caught up on the running order towards the end, primarily because we'd all come to the conclusion that How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb had suffered by having a compromised running order, and we didn't want to make the same mistake this time around. So, we pulled White As Snow out of the 'maybe' file, and that seemed to balance some of the up-tempo rock tunes. It gave the listener a break.

We had another track called Every Breaking Wave which, if we'd included it, would have made for a very long record. Anyway, we decided that song just hadn't reached its potential, so, we put it back in the cupboard for the next record (laughs)."

Interesting stuff. So we now know of 2 potential tracks for the 13th album.

Theres a little bit of talk about the next album later on.

It sounds like you've got a lot of material. Could you release another album quite soon?
Well we could, and it's part of our plan to not leave it too long. Once the tour is up and running there would be no reason why we couldn't find a week and go into the studio and work on things. It sort of depends on Bono and Edge's commitments; they've got a Spiderman project in the works too (laughs).

Spiderman got delayed... :hmm:

It sounds like you've got a lot of material. Could you release another album quite soon?
Well we could, and it's part of our plan to not leave it too long. Once the tour is up and running there would be no reason why we couldn't find a week and go into the studio and work on things. It sort of depends on Bono and Edge's commitments; they've got a Spiderman project in the works too (laughs).

Spiderman got delayed... :hmm:

From what I read, spiderman got delayed due to non-U2 issue though

I thought it was a good interview. I liked how Adam referenced The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I loved that book (they better not stuff the movie up when they release it).

As soon as I heard WAS I thought 'The Road', but the imagery that NLOTH conjures up in general in my mind is very similar to what I get when the father and son make their pilgrimage in the novel.

I hope U2's next album (which Bono has spoken of as being a pilgrimage), explores this idea even further.

So Every Breaking Wave is a very long track? :hmm:

You get a better idea of Eno's personality from this interview.

Another interview where they mention Eno:

U2: We’re four chancers from the north of Dublin who just got lucky | The Sun |Showbiz|Something For The Weekend

ian Eno and Danny Lanois, the pair who helped lay down the sonic landscape for some of U2’s greatest offerings — The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby.

Eno came armed with his “box of sounds”. The Edge liked having him around.

“He constantly challenged us and took us out of our comfort zone. He’s not really a fan of rock music and I’m not sure he’s a fan of U2’s music.

Goal

“There are always disagreements with him. There’s a song called Winter that he thought we were mad to leave off the album. He hated Get On Your Boots (the first single) at first but eventually got into it.”

I highly doubt Winter is going to be on the next album since it is having an official release on Linear. Best of 2000's Bside.

I highly doubt Winter is going to be on the next album since it is having an official release on Linear. Best of 2000's Bside.

good point. Has U2 EVER released a song and then released a different, more finished version of it later? I know Bono and Edge said it's not finished, but unless they drastically change it I don't think we'll see it again.

Nice interview. I hope this means we might get a Zooropa-type release in 2010. U2 seems to be much more about making the music now and not necessarily reaching out to people like on the last two (as Adam said), so I could see them releasing another album without obsessing over every detail (well, maybe. this is U2 we're talking about). But especially if there are a lot of songs already in the works...

good point. Has U2 EVER released a song and then released a different, more finished version of it later? I know Bono and Edge said it's not finished, but unless they drastically change it I don't think we'll see it again.

Nice interview. I hope this means we might get a Zooropa-type release in 2010. U2 seems to be much more about making the music now and not necessarily reaching out to people like on the last two (as Adam said), so I could see them releasing another album without obsessing over every detail (well, maybe. this is U2 we're talking about). But especially if there are a lot of songs already in the works...

It depends on what we consider "finished", which can be multi-faceted. They re-released several tracks from POP on Best Of 1991-2000, such as Gone, which I consider a better incarnation of the track.

It depends on what we consider "finished", which can be multi-faceted. They re-released several tracks from POP on Best Of 1991-2000, such as Gone, which I consider a better incarnation of the track.

yeah, but that was for a Best Of, not a new album. I personally think Pop didn't need any reworking, but hey, if the band felt the need to "finish" up the songs for a compilation that's fine by me.

I'm just going by what the band said a couple of days ago (thought it was the zane lowe interview but I couldn't find it in there so it was another one), the interviewer tried to imply that it may not show up on the album and Edge implied the opposite right away. Plus theres the Eno factor (whether or not hes working on the next album)

I'm still patiently waiting for "Winter" to arrive in my inbox. Posted in the request thread. Looking forward to hearing it!

I'm just going by what the band said a couple of days ago (thought it was the zane lowe interview but I couldn't find it in there so it was another one), the interviewer tried to imply that it may not show up on the album and Edge implied the opposite right away. Plus theres the Eno factor (whether or not hes working on the next album)

that's true. and imo U2 should never make another album without Eno :drool:

Back
Top Bottom