Miami vs New York vs California (too soon?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepokiss

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Is it too soon to start this argument?

is it too soon to say California is a knock in the face right from the start?

:love:

None of these three are very good songs, but at least New York gets a pass mark.

Miami is the shittiest, but oh god that intro to California is so bad it could make you want to kick a kitten in the face.

Miami is still that fucking badass tune that it was in 1997. Love it! Dunno about California. Haven't heard it yet. New York is okay.

Is it too soon to start this argument?

yes

[/thread]

I will say that I think all three songs perfectly capture the places they're about. i think U2 should write more songs about American cities. I'd really love to know what they think of, say, Evansville, Indiana. :lol:

Miami is pretty poor on the album but on a good night during the Popmart tour it rocked really hard.

New York has rubbish lyrics.

Not sure about California yet. Not really getting some of the -ve vibes though.

Miami is one of U2's greatest tracks. I say that without irony.

I love New York, but it is a middling song as far as the band's canon goes.

California is a nice pop song, will need time to see where it sits with the others. At this moment though, if feels like comparing apples with oranges with pork.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

California is U2s mainstream hit by a mile. It will be the next "single" it's a 1000x better than Miami or NY easy and if you don't see that you're crazy

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Miami has the sexiest and grooviest bass and drums of any U2 song EVER! It amazes me how it gets so much hate.

California didn't appeal to me at first because the intro reminded me of a song Lana Del Rey would sing...but it gets better after that.

And as for New York I've always kind of dug that. Lyrically it's no Sort of Homecoming, but as a drummer myself I enjoy the drum pattern and how Edge layers his guitar over it in the quiet parts. The moral of the story is never let Bono's sometimes cringe worthy lyrics ruin the rest of the song.

New York is one of my least-favourite U2 songs, so right now it's California and Miami neck-and-neck. Miami gets the edge for me since it's so unique, whereas California is a great pop/rock song but 'just' a great pop/rock song.

I like them all. New York is a good song and I loved it the first couple times I listened to it. Used to be one of my favorite U2 songs. But it quickly became a very forgettable song. California is a good song. Tough choice....
But overall....I'm going with........

MIIIIIAAAAAMMMIIIIII MY MAMMY!

Well Miami and New York are two of the absolute worst U2 songs there are. So California easily wins because it's actually awesome.

Nothing will ever beat Miami.
We could make something beautiful
Something that wouldn't be a problem.

Sent from my XT1058 using U2 Interference mobile app

Back
Top Bottom