MERGED ----> Definitive collection tracklisting predictions/discussions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hoodlem said:
I have no idea what the tracklist will be but, I see "New Years Day" being the openning track for some reason. I also don't see anything Pre-War being on there. Just not enough room, and the casual fan could probably care less about "I Will Follow".

U2 shouldn't give a d*** about those "casual fans" who knows 15 U2 songs with luck

Why kissing their asses? Why not something for the loyal fanbase at last?.

The "casual fans" should be the last (if any) in the band's priorities. They don't even have 5-6 U2 albums, they don't know the songs, they don't care about U2 history, they don't care about early years (Boy - UF), the 90s (except for Achtung Baby), etc ... and how come the band make a greatest hits for them?.

For years the long-time fan base (including me, and this is not my invention, I've signed in MANY petitions for previously unreleased material since 2000) have been waiting for the same items: Rematered Catalog, Live Albums, Live DVD's from the 80s and 90s, Singles & Promos Collection, and The complete Video Anthology. They must be aware than we ask the band for these items! ... and what they do about that? ... Another Best Of for the snobs ...

And all the s*** U2 announcements should eliminate the word DEFINITIVE at the spot, because any compilation of 16 songs won't be the "definitive".

Last edited:
ponkine said:

... Another Best Of for the snobs ...

Am I a snob for only owning best ofs for Jimi Hendrix, CCR, The Doors, The Clash, The Cure, Neil Young, Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, etc, etc? Give me a break.

Have a little respect for people that are just getting into a band.

ponkine said:

The "casual fans" should be the last (if any) in the band's priorities. They don't even have 5-6 U2 albums, they don't know the songs, they don't care about U2 history, they don't care about early years (Boy - UF), the 90s (except for Achtung Baby), etc ... and how come the band make a greatest hits for them?.

Damn , I must a be a snob , I may be a casual fan , after all I only own 5 albums , 2 of them are the best ofs ,

shit .......... :| :reject:

Last edited:
I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
Pride
Bad
I Still Haven't Found...
Streets
With or Without You
Desire
One
Mysterious Ways
Beautiful Day
Walk On
Vertigo
Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own
The Saints Are Coming

It's a pity they're only doing 16 songs, and one disc.

I'm sure if it was 2 CD's or even iTunes tracklistings of each bandmembers favorite songs it would be much better.

01. Out of Control
02. Vertigo
03. Elevation
04. Beautiful Day
05. Walk On
06. New Song
07. Still Havent Found
08. With or Without You
09. Sunday Bloody Sunday
10. The Saints Are Coming
11. Where The Streets Have No Name
12. I Will Follow
13. Discothèque
14. Mysterious Ways
15. Until the End of the World
16. New Years Day
17. All I Want Is You
18. Bad

ponkine said:

U2 shouldn't give a d*** about those "casual fans" who knows 15 U2 songs with luck

For years the long-time fan base (including me, and this is not my invention, I've signed in MANY petitions for previously unreleased material since 2000) have been waiting for the same items: Rematered Catalog, Live Albums, Live DVD's from the 80s and 90s, Singles & Promos Collection, and The complete Video Anthology. They must be aware than we ask the band for these items! ... and what they do about that? ... Another Best Of for the snobs ...

And all the s*** U2 announcements should eliminate the word DEFINITIVE at the spot, because any compilation of 16 songs won't be the "definitive".

I'm sorry but the only person I can see being a snob is you, judging from this post.

How many albums/singles have U2 sold throughout their career? how huge is the demand for tickets when they tour? - do you really think it's only the "loyal" fans that are involved in all that?. The casual fans have probably done more to get the band where they are today than us "loyal" fans - purely because they outnumber us. They are as important as some of us "loyal" fans would like to think we are.

Although I'm not thrilled by this forthcoming "best of" release in the slightest, I do understand that they want to attract the next generation of U2 fans. If this is the way they think they can achieve that goal, then fair play to them- leave them to get on with it. This album is not something that interests me - so I won't buy it. I'll get the new track by other means. Trust me, they are not releasing this album just to piss you off :)

If I'm honest, having read many of your posts on this forum over the years, if you are an example of a "loyal" fan, it's no wonder to me they are looking for new fans - I'm all for constructive criticism and I don't always agree with the decisions the band make but you really take whining to a whole new level. Get over it - you really aren't the be all and end all of their world and they aren't going to do what you want just because you sign some petitions.

ponkine said:

The "casual fans" should be the last (if any) in the band's priorities. They don't even have 5-6 U2 albums, they don't know the songs, they don't care about U2 history, they don't care about early years (Boy - UF), the 90s (except for Achtung Baby), etc

Hence their need for/interest in a single-disc greatest hits album. :banghead:

ponkine said:

Not everyone is a U2 uber-fan and has to start somewhere.

An easily digestible "Definitive" best of album is the best way to do so.

I know I got into U2 through their Best Of releases, but I was a casual fan and didn't deserve to be a priority?

All of your post sounds like selfish nonsense. Sure the band will cater to bigger fans, that's why they made a book like U2 by U2. I'm not trying to single you out mate, but it seems like a general sentiment among some people here and I get tired of it.

Here I keep wonderin ......... :hmm:

Does the fact I own all the dvds and know more than 100 songs , forgives the fact that I only own 5 albums ???? Say there amigo Ponky , does that still make me a casual fan ?

Damn :grumpy: ? I better open my pocket and forget this thing of waitin better prices

J_NP,
You're good, but buy all of the albums for Pete's sake! How could you only have 5? Or at least put them on your holiday wishlist. If you've got all of the DVD's, you're a bonafied fan in my book!

Let's go Beatles '1' style!

US Edition (Top Sixteen Hits):

1. Pride
2. With Or Without You
3. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
4. Where The Streets Have No Name
5. In God's Country
6. Desire
7. Angel Of Harlem
8. Mysterious Ways
9. One
10. Even Better Than The Real Thing
11. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
12. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
13. Discotheque
14. Staring At The Sun
15. Beautiful Day
16. Vertigo
17. The Sants Are Coming
18. Untitled New Song

UK Edition (Top Sixteen Hits):

1. Pride
With Or Without You (#4)
Where The Streets Have No Name (#4)
2. Desire
All I Want Is You (#4)
3. The Fly
Stay (Faraway, So Close) (#4)
4. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
5. Discotheque
6. Staring At The Sun
7. Sweetest Thing
8. Beautiful Day
9. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
10. Elevation
11. Vertigo
12. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
13. City Of Blinding Lights
All Because Of You (#4)
14. The Saints Are Coming
15. Untitled New Song

Just came up with a new mathmatical method.....

1. I Will Follow
2. New Year's Day
3. Sunday Bloody Sunday
4. Pride
5. With Or Without You
6. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
7. Where The Streets Have No Name
8. Desire
9. Mysterious Ways
10. One
11. Some Track From AB (The band considers it their finest hour, so how could they have less tracks from it than JT? EBTTRT and UTEOTW are frontrunners since they were on all versions of The Best Of 1990-2000, while the fact that FIVE tracks from AB were on many versions of that compilation lends more credibility to this theory.)
12. Beautiful Day
13. Some Other Track From ATYCLB (Bono short lists this album as one of their four best, so it will need extra representation)
14. Vertigo
15. Some Other Track From HTDAAB (Bono short lists this album as one of their four best, so it will need extra representation. Probably SYCMIOYO)
16. The Saints Are Coming
17. New Song #2

This theory results in only ONE of the following tracks:

Bad
Angel Of Harlem
All I Want Is You
Stay (Faraway, So Close)
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Discotheque

Ranking them by chances.....

1. Stay (Bono loves the song, nothing from Zooropa has been compiled yet)
2. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (Huge megahit, adds extra buying incentive)
3. Discotheque (Band had trouble with this one, reworked it. Nothing from POP compiled yet.)
4. Bad (Concert staple, but lengthy, taking time away from possible inclusion of the 18th track. UF is already represented by 'Pride')
5. All I Want Is You (Rattle and Hum is already represented by 'Desire', lengthy track takes time away from compilation, not as well known as a similar song in length (Bad)...)
6. Angel Of Harlem (Highly unlikely. AIWIY seems more reasonable and Rattle and Hum is already represented by 'Desire')

Last edited:
^^^

I don't know about 'All I Want Is You' not being as well known as 'Bad'. 'All I Want Is You' was a single with a memorable video, and featured prominently in one of the biggest movies of the 90s - Reality Bites. 'Bad' on the other hand was never a single, and unless you've seen any of their concerts (or bought any of them), you probably wouldn't really know about it. If you do know about it, you probably aren't the casual music fan that this collection is aimed at anyway.

I like the rest of your theory though. :up:

Re: Definitive collection obvious tracklisting...

smileplease said:
I think it's fairly obvious that they'll take one track from each album for this collection, and two from the three biggest sellers (Tree, Baby and Bomb).

Therefore, i'd be surprised if there's much different from the following:

I Will Follow (Boy)
Gloria (October)
Sunday Bloody Sunday (War)
Pride (U Fire)
With or Without You (J Tree)
Still Haven't Found
Desire
Angel of Harlem (R&H)
One (Baby)
Mysterious Ways
Stay (Zooropa)
Discotheque (Pop)
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Vertigo
Sometimes

What do people think?

There will be nothing from Pop as this is the enemy of todays U2. Maybe the terrible rehashed version of Discotheque where they virtually stripped the song and turned it into the live version. Beautiful Day, Elevation and Sometimes are tracks that would be a million miles from any serious fans definitve collection of U2 songs. Jesus, I can think of 100 U2 songs better than them and thats a low estimate. Its a Greatest Hits not a Definitive collection. One to buy your Granny for Christmas!:wink:

Michael Griffiths said:
^^^

I don't know about 'All I Want Is You' not being as well known as 'Bad'. 'All I Want Is You' was a single with a memorable video, and featured prominently in one of the biggest movies of the 90s - Reality Bites.

I like the rest of your theory though. :up:

Reality Bites, one of the biggest movies of the 90s????? Slightly wide of the mark!:huh:

rjhbonovox said:

Reality Bites, one of the biggest movies of the 90s????? Slightly wide of the mark!:huh:
It was with the college and twenty something crowd I happened to be in. Those people are all in their 30s now, and make a large sector of the U2 audience. Remember, they were the Achtung Babies of our generation! :wink:

1. The Saints Are Coming
2. I Will Follow
3. Gloria
4. Sunday Bloody Sunday
5. Pride
6. I Still Haven't Found
7. Where The Streets
8. Mysterious Ways
9. One
10. The Fly
11. Staring At The Sun
12. Beautiful Day
13. Stuck in A Moment
14. Vertigo
15. City of Blinding Lights
16. New Song

Not my ideal tracklist, but I am going for accuaracy, here.

Murray said:
Not my ideal tracklist, but I am going for accuaracy, here.

Then why did you include two songs ("Gloria" and "The Fly") that weren't released everywhere on a previous compilation?

Granted, U2 could always have a change of heart, but neither of those songs was a huge hit. "Gloria" did nothing on the charts and "The Fly" was only big in the UK.

I really hope the band will keep All My Life (404) or I Believe (402) for the new album in 2007. They're too good to only make it on a compilation album.

Does anyone tink "The Sweetest Thing" will be on the album? Seems to be quite popular among casual fans.

True, it is. But that would make The Best Of 1980-1990 quite worthless. If the single mix of The Sweetest Thing remains available only on that album, fans will still have an added incentive to purchase it.

Plus, the song isn't really up there with U2's most well known tracks. Close, but it's hardly a concert staple or though of enough to make a single disc compilation.

BigMacPhisto said:

Then why did you include two songs ("Gloria" and "The Fly") that weren't released everywhere on a previous compilation?

Granted, U2 could always have a change of heart, but neither of those songs was a huge hit. "Gloria" did nothing on the charts and "The Fly" was only big in the UK.

True, but I think U2 will want some equal representation of all their albums for this one, and "Gloria" was the most 'single-type' song on October.

And I just put "The Fly" on there cuz it's my favorite.
:p

With the news that it's gonna be called 'U2 18 Singles' I think we'll have to revise what the CD will include, so here's my guess now:

1 I Will Follow
2 New Year's Day
3 Pride
4 With or Without You
5 Where the Streets Have No Name
6 I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
7 Desire
8 All I Want Is You
9 One
10 Even Better Than The Real Thing
11 Mysterious Ways
12 Stay
13 Miss Sarajevo
14 Beautiful Day
15 Vertigo

16 The last track is the hardest one, perhaps Discotheque or Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, or maybe another track from the last two albums, possibly Original of the Species (Single Mix)? But another possibility is that to tie in with the book etc they'll put Out Of Control on as the opening track. In pure commercial terms probably not likely to happen, but you never know.

17 Saints
18 New Song (probably Moment I'm In/All My Life/404 and I hope it is cos it isn't great and putting it on this would preclude having to hear it on the next album)

Bonus Disc:
The live CD from Milan - what a waste of time. There were so many possibilities for this and they've almost ruined it by giving us this.

Singles eh?

Again, I say

I will follow
Gloria
NYD
SBS
Pride
Streets
I still haven't found...
WOWY
Desire
One