MERGED ----> Definitive collection tracklisting predictions/discussions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always have thought that compilations should be presented in chronological order

ponkine said:
I always have thought that compilations should be presented in chronological order

I don't. I would prefer a compilation to flow well. For example, can you imagine how disjointed With Or Without You/Desire/All I Want Is You would sound?

Actually I had a few pints at lunchtime so I wasnt thinking right. I am one of the few who actually likes the tracklisting on the second best of. Living in England we got the Fly, but no Lemon :-((((((((. It would have been very shit if it had been in chronological order.
SO I guess this one shouldnt be in chronologiocal order.
Good afternoon Axver by the way!

An Cat Gav said:
Actually I had a few pints at lunchtime so I wasnt thinking right. I am one of the few who actually likes the tracklisting on the second best of. Living in England we got the Fly, but no Lemon :-((((((((. It would have been very shit if it had been in chronological order.
SO I guess this one shouldnt be in chronologiocal order.
Good afternoon Axver by the way!

:wave: Good morning. :wink: (Bloody hell, it's nearly 1am here, what am I doing up!)

I'm surprised we didn't get The Fly on the Aussie edition of the Best Of 1990-2000, as we tend to get the bonus tracks too, but ah well, I never play either Best Of anyway.

I think chronological is, in theory, a neat idea - it can show how a band has developed and evolved. But if a tracklisting is to be chronological, extra-special attention would have to be paid to the song selection to ensure that the compilation flows, otherwise it could just come out sounding dreadfully disjointed.

1 - i will follow
2 - sunday bloody sunday
3 - new years day
4 - pride
5 - desire
6 - all i want is you
7 - where the streets
8 - with or with out you
9 - i still havent found
10 - one
11 - the fly
12 - misteryous ways
13 - beautiful day
14 - walk on (or stuck?)
15 - vertigo
16 - original of the species
17 - saints are coming
18 - mercy

I read a memo from universal at work today, it stated the 16 tracks will be taken from the previous best of's. no surprises then...

Dorian Gray said:
I read a memo from universal at work today, it stated the 16 tracks will be taken from the previous best of's. no surprises then...

That's very strange... I guess the best of will also include at least one or two songs of HTDAAB (Vertigo and City of Blinding Lights)

Dorian Gray said:

I told you my friends, I was right ... :reject:

ponkine said:

No need to hide in a box....I don't think anyone seriously thought otherwise.

If they chose all 16 from the first two Best Ofs & left HTDAAB entirely off, it would free up HTDAAB songs for an appearance on a Best Of 2000-2010 later down the road...without seeming so redundant. Of course, leaving HTDAAB songs off would also bring on the onslaught "haha, told you the Bomb sux and doesn't belong with the greatest hits" posts... :wink:

ponkine said:

What's the big deal ? I mean who didn't thought about it ?

Put in , and see if I'm not wrong

Pride
NYD
WOWY
Still Haven't
Streets
Follow
Bad
Desire
M Ways
One
B Day
Stay
Discotheque
Sarajevo
Staring
First Time

OR something like .............

Tracks (no order)

1. I Will Follow
2. Sunday Bloody Sunday (live)
3. New Year's Day
4. Pride
5. Bad (live)
6. Where the Streets Have No Name
7. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
8. With or Without You
9. Mysterious Ways
10. One
11. Beautiful Day
12. Elevation (live)
13. Stuck in a Moment
14. Walk On
15. Vertigo
16. Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own
17. The Saints are Coming (new)
18. The Moment I'm In (new)

Axver said:
I don't. I would prefer a compilation to flow well. For example, can you imagine how disjointed With Or Without You/Desire/All I Want Is You would sound?

Yeah, but if this were chronological, that would never happen. With Or Without You was the first single from JT, so it would appear first, followed by the two that came after and THEN "Desire"

BigMacPhisto said:

Yeah, but if this were chronological, that would never happen. With Or Without You was the first single from JT, so it would appear first, followed by the two that came after and THEN "Desire"

Depends if it goes chronologically by single or by album. And if you go by single order, you'd still come up with some dreadful flows. Who wants to hear Desire/AIWIY/The Fly?

Take special note of how the "yeah yeahs" at the end of 'Vertigo' blend into the "yeah" of 'Desire'. The stuff of genius, haha. And the award for the best flowing track order goes to....me :wink:...

Elevation
I Will Follow
Vertigo
Desire
New Year's Day
All I Want Is You
Where The Streets Have No Name
Pride
Sunday Bloody Sunday
One
Stay
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
With or Without You
All My Life (new song)
Mysterious Ways
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Beautiful Day
The Saints Are Coming (new song)

One of or all of Angel of Harlem/Walk On/City of Blinding Lights could replace one of or all of Elevation/Sometimes You Can't Make It/Stay.

And I still can't believe any best of could omit 'Bad', but this one will.

PS - I don't think the track order will be chronological. The first two Best Ofs weren't chronological, and I think a good flow would be far more important to U2 and/or the record company.

Michael Griffiths said:
Take special note of how the "yeah yeahs" at the end of 'Vertigo' blend into the "yeah" of 'Desire'. The stuff of genius, haha. And the award for the best flowing track order goes to....me :wink:...

That award WOULD have gone to you if it weren't for SBS --> One and MW --> SYCMIOYO. :wink:

Michael Griffiths said:

Elevation
I Will Follow
Vertigo
Desire
New Year's Day
All I Want Is You
Pride
Sunday Bloody Sunday
One
Stay
With or Without You
All My Life (new song)
Mysterious Ways
Beautiful Day

One of or all of Angel of Harlem/Walk On/City of Blinding Lights could replace one of or all of Elevation/Sometimes You Can't Make It/Stay.

And I still can't believe any best of could omit 'Bad', but this one will.

That's pretty good!!:drool:

Michael Griffiths said:

Haha! But have you listened to 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' into 'One'?!? That's also the stuff of genius. :wink:

The last time I listened to One, it was performed live and it wasn't preceded by SBS. It's been even longer since I last willingly listened to One. :wink:

Elevation
I Will Follow
Vertigo
Desire
New Year's Day
All I Want Is You
Pride
Sunday Bloody Sunday
One
Stay
With or Without You
All My Life (new song)
Mysterious Ways
Beautiful Day

Good track list! I like the idea of Elevation, I Will Follow, Vertigo, Desire. Four rockers right out of the gate – “This is a rock n’ roll show. You didn’t come all the way out here to watch TV now did ya!” All I Want Is You leading into Streets is wonderful (it worked well on the Elevation Tour). Pride carries forward the energy of Streets (just like on the ZOOTV Tour). “One” could be seen as completing the “social justice / spiritual message” of Streets, Pride, and SBS. Still Haven’t Found followed by WOWY - I think is too “familiar” with the JT track order. Possibly the rhythm of Still Haven’t Found would flow better with it coming after Desire? This would then leave 3 ballads in a row. Not really a good idea. But maybe why not? Showcase this attribute of U2. The “heartache” section. Nothing from POP. Understandable. In the U2 book – Boy! Don’t they tear it to shreds! But hey didn’t it still sell 8 million? And it gave them a world record setting attendance Tour. I’m thinking of the negativity surrounding R&H and The Boys coming back with the blistering The Fly and maybe it influencing a bit of the ZOOTV version of Desire and vicious it was. Why not do the same with Discotheque. It’s a fine rock song and it did chart well - US: 10, Canada: 1, UK: 1. How about some attitude of revenge?! A new version that rocks hard. A one two punch – opening with muscle and energy and closing with some force and fire.

Elevation
I Will Follow
Vertigo
Desire
New Year's Day
All I Want Is You
Pride
Sunday Bloody Sunday
One
Stay
With or Without You
All My Life (new song)
Discotheque (The Apocalyptic Mix)
Mysterious Ways
Beautiful Day

U2Soar said:
Good track list! I like the idea of Elevation, I Will Follow, Vertigo, Desire. Four rockers right out of the gate – “This is a rock n’ roll show. You didn’t come all the way out here to watch TV now did ya!” All I Want Is You leading into Streets is wonderful (it worked well on the Elevation Tour). Pride carries forward the energy of Streets (just like on the ZOOTV Tour). “One” could be seen as completing the “social justice / spiritual message” of Streets, Pride, and SBS. Still Haven’t Found followed by WOWY - I think is too “familiar” with the JT track order. Possibly the rhythm of Still Haven’t Found would flow better with it coming after Desire? This would then leave 3 ballads in a row. Not really a good idea. But maybe why not? Showcase this attribute of U2. The “heartache” section. Nothing from POP. Understandable. In the U2 book – Boy! Don’t they tear it to shreds! But hey didn’t it still sell 8 million? And it gave them a world record setting attendance Tour. I’m thinking of the negativity surrounding R&H and The Boys coming back with the blistering The Fly and maybe it influencing a bit of the ZOOTV version of Desire and vicious it was. Why not do the same with Discotheque. It’s a fine rock song and it did chart well - US: 10, Canada: 1, UK: 1. How about some attitude of revenge?! A new version that rocks hard. A one two punch – opening with muscle and energy and closing with some force and fire.
U2Soar, you're one who can appreciate track order selection, my friend! The reason I pick 'I Still Haven't Found' after 'Stay' is because it sounds incredible. It's like the angel in 'Stay' "hits the ground," and then slowly gets up (with Edge's gradual, incoming arpeggios) into the world we all live in with 'I Still Haven't Found'. It's like the two kind of belong together. I found it by accidant one day. Also if you get the chance - listen to 'One' right after 'Angel of Harlem'. Amazing stuff. 'New Year's Day' into 'One' works quite well, too, surprisingly. Any (good) song that fades out into 'One' seems to be the way to go. I picked 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' into 'One' this time as a hunch. They both embody U2 at their most charged, both pesonally and even politically. It sort of brings 'One' into a whole new level. Not just a romantic song (as interpreted by the casual fan), but also one that touches the heart of the human condition - a much bigger, broader realm. This transition allows 'One' to reach its own unlimited potential. It's meant to be a big song, and this way it can be.

I don't think 'Discotheque' will be put on there for this reason: despite it being an instant #1 hit, it also collapsed just as rapidly. It was a "pop" song, excuse the pun. It was as though the hype created the hit. People had been waiting for a new U2 song for years at a time when U2 was still considered the "in" band. And 'Dischoteque' benefited from this explosion waiting to happen. Yet the bubble burst, and all we were left with was a pop. Man, stop me now. :wink:

Now, the big question is do we need to separate 'With or Without You' from 'I Still Haven't Found' simply because they are together already on the Joshua Tree? And if we decide that yes, we do, then what shall we do with this tracklist? Well, here's an idea: replace 'New Year's Day' with 'Mysterious Ways' and replace 'With or Without You' with 'New Year's Day'. Then drop 'With or Without You' down into where 'Myserious Ways' had been....so it would look like this:

Elevation
I Will Follow
Vertigo
Desire
Mysterious Ways
All I Want Is You
Pride
Sunday Bloody Sunday
One
Stay
New Year's Day
All My Life (new song)
With or Without You
Beautiful Day

Or, if you want to take it a step further, now switch 'Sometimes You Can't Make It' with 'New Year's Day'...so the last part of the album would look like this:

I Still Haven't Found
Somtimes You Can't Make It
All My Life
With or Without You
New Year's Day
Beutiful Day
The Saints Are Coming

I haven't tested any of this yet....just going on the music I'm hearing in my head. Try it out, and let me know! (I don't have all my CDs here.)

Last edited:
I have no idea what the tracklist will be but, I see "New Years Day" being the openning track for some reason. I also don't see anything Pre-War being on there. Just not enough room, and the casual fan could probably care less about "I Will Follow".

Hoodlem said:
I have no idea what the tracklist will be but, I see "New Years Day" being the openning track for some reason. I also don't see anything Pre-War being on there. Just not enough room, and the casual fan could probably care less about "I Will Follow".
I was thinking the same thing (about 'I Will Folow'), but I believe U2, if they have any say in it, will keep it on there since it was the song that broke them into the US and really kick started their career. But I would rather see 'Angel of Harlem' or 'Walk On' on there, personally.

Back
Top Bottom