MERGED ----> Definitive collection tracklisting predictions/discussions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bathiu said:

I really respect your opinion about R&H, but in my opinion your opinion about this album is wrong.
I don't need such a long post to express my opinion, I'll just say that in my opinion R&H was successful because it came after JT, there's a reason the band had to 'dream it all up again'.
As for POP, maybe not twice the album R&H is, but in my opinion a much better album.

:wave:
This is a message board, is it not? A place to express opinions? I would have thought that the fact I was merely expressing my opinion was already inferred, if not expected given this is a place to state such things (as opinions). But to state the obvious in the manner you are doing is a bit redundant, wouldn't you agree?

The Slow Loris said:

This is a message board, is it not? A place to express opinions? I would have thought that the fact I was merely expressing my opinion was already inferred,

You are 100% right, I'm sorry, it's just that sometimes when I read posts written in the "this is the holy, one and only truth" way, I forget about that...

The Slow Loris said:
But to state the obvious in the manner you are doing is a bit redundant, wouldn't you agree?

:) well, no. that was just sarcasm...

Last edited:
bathiu said:

You are 100% right, I'm sorry, it's just that sometimes when I read posts written in the "this is the holy, one and only truth" way, I forget about that...

:) well, no. that was just sarcasm...
1st part: I'm not gong to apologize for believing in what I say. I get a little passionate sometimes, and I love to write about U2 songs that move me. I enjoyed writing that (long) post. I could write all day on U2. That would be my dream job.

2nd part: Ah, that explains it then. I never really cared much for that kind of sarcasm. :)

The Slow Loris said:

Wow, you don't think 'All I Want Is You' is a timeless classic?! I think you may be the first person in the history of the land of U2 who doesn't think so!

Sacrelage.

:wink:

Not a 'timeless classic', but still a very good song, which qualifies it as 'just another song in the U2 canon' for me personally.

If you wear that velvet dress, promenade, so cruel and kite all do more for me...not that they are necessarily related to all i want is you, but just trying to paint a self-portrait of myself as a U2 fan here.

I'm a very deviant and unconventional U2 fan in terms of favourite songs and particular tastes...

Is That All? for instance has been in my top 20 U2 songs for a couple of years noiw..

artdirector said:
I know for sure these songs will be in the album.
With or Without You
Walk On
Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own
Sweetest Thing
Beautiful Day
http://www.u2eastlink.com/noticias/

CDWOW.COM (a cd seller) lists 9 tracks so far:

I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
Pride (In The Name of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
With or Without You
Desire
Mysterious Ways

So, if you add the list that CDWOW has, plus the songs in the clues, plus the 2 new songs, that only leaves only 3 more open spots.

Those spots will probably go to Vertigo, One, and then one more (Discotheque, Stay, HMTMKMKM?)

The Slow Loris said:
Pop is an ambitious record with some good unfinished ideas....but in the end, it lacks strong tunes. It just needed some songs and it could have been brilliant. Whatever R&H lacks in innovation, it more than makes up for in tunefulness. With three undesputed classic tracks, and a smattering of some beautiful soul songs, it's easily U2's most underrated album by the diehard fans.

It just needed some songs and it could have been brilliant?

It just needed some songs?

What exactly does this mean?

Discotheque is a great song(imo)
Staring At The Sun is a great song(imo)
Gone is a great song(imo)
Please is a great song(imo)
If God Will Send His Angels is a great song(imo)
Mofo is a great song(imo)

What exactly are any of the tracks on Pop if they're not songs? Just mish-mashes of sound and volume?

At least we agree that AIWIY is an all time classic :)

with the U2 LYRIC HUNT, we know these ones are:

New Year's Day
Beautiful Day
Walk On
Elevation
Sometimes You Can't Make It On You Own
The Sweetest Thing
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
One
With Or Without You

this doesn't look good for POP :(

pepokiss said:
with the U2 LYRIC HUNT, we know these ones are:

New Year's Day
Beautiful Day
Walk On
Elevation
Sometimes You Can't Make It On You Own
The Sweetest Thing
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
One
With Or Without You

this doesn't look good for POP :(

3 ATYCLB songs?!?!? :huh:

BANZAI said:

3 ATYCLB songs?!?!? :huh:

If this is true, it will be the most powerful reason to not buy the compilation and download it or borrow it instead :down:

Am I the only one in here who don't believe the lyrics must be from U2 18? :reject:

Does anyone in here remember when we were told that the compilation were going to be from songs on the previous 2 best ofs? :eyebrow:

Walk On and Elevation weren't released on Best Of 1990 - 2000 :hmm:

I think The Fly deserves a place on the album. It's a symbol of U2's experimental era.

AIWIY is not going to make the cut. Not because it is not a classic or unpopular, but for the simple fact that it is too long to fit on a CD with 17 other songs.

Well, that's that........lyric hunt tracks, combined with the list from CD Wow........

U218 Singles:

1. I Will Follow
2. Sunday Bloody Sunday
3. New Year's Day
4. Pride
5. Where The Streets Have No Name
6. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
7. With Or Without You
8. Desire
9. Mysterious Ways
10. One
11. Sweetest Thing
12. Beautiful Day
13/14. Walk On/Elevation (unknown order)
15. Vertigo
16. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
17. The Saints Are Coming
18. Window On The Sky

80's: 8 Tracks (+ Sweetest Thing which was released in it's original version in this period)
90's: 3 tracks (although Sweetest Thing is originally from the 80's)
00's: 7 tracks

namkcuR said:

It just needed some songs and it could have been brilliant?
Yes.
It just needed some songs?
Right, again.
What exactly does this mean?
Many of the tracks simply aren't very tuneful. Many don't have much in the way of melody and hook....which is not to say that none of them do.
Discotheque is a great song(imo)
Staring At The Sun is a great song(imo)
Gone is a great song(imo)
Please is a great song(imo)
If God Will Send His Angels is a great song(imo)
Mofo is a great song(imo)
'Discotheque' has some neat sounds and a good beat, but does it have much in the way of melody? Try humming it sometime. It's not a song I usually find myself singing "in my own company".

'Staring at the Sun' is a pretty good song, but it isn't great (the term "great" is reserved for songs like 'One' and 'Bad', for example).

'Gone' and 'Please' are very good songs, verging on greatness, yes. But what about the rest of the album?

'If God Will Send His Angels' is a nice tune, and it actually has a pretty good melody as well. But it's certainly not "great".

I would categorize 'Mofo' as an "interesting" song. Loud, with a lot of sounds going on. You almost have to listen to it in a padded room. I'm not sure if I'd call that great. :wink:

Now the rest of the album... Songs like 'Miami' and 'Playboy Mansion' are certainly not of greatness, are they? Even 'Last Night on Earth' has a forced sounding chorus, which really doesn't break out of its shell until played live.
What exactly are any of the tracks on Pop if they're not songs? Just mish-mashes of sound and volume?
In many cases, just about, yes. Sure, you will find attempted hooks and choruses and the like, but the results are a bit forced. Would you get hooked by them coming through the wall from the neighbour's apartment across the hall and find yourself getting lost in them? For most people, about three of the tracks (or 1/4 of the album) would have that effect.
At least we agree that AIWIY is an all time classic :)
Yes, now that song is great!

:wink:

Incidentally, I'm surprised you didn't mention my favourite song on Pop, 'If You Wear That Velvet Dress'. That's a great song. Not forced at all. Beautiful, hypnotic guitar work that sort of shimmers in and out of shadow and light.

Last edited:
the sweetest thing is on another best of? :huh:

im surprised they didnt throw electrical storm on there too

BigMacPhisto said:
Well, that's that........lyric hunt tracks, combined with the list from CD Wow........

U218 Singles:

1. I Will Follow
2. Sunday Bloody Sunday
3. New Year's Day
4. Pride
5. Where The Streets Have No Name
6. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
7. With Or Without You
8. Desire
9. Mysterious Ways
10. One
11. Sweetest Thing
12. Beautiful Day
13/14. Walk On/Elevation (unknown order)
15. Vertigo
17. The Saints Are Coming
18. Window On The Sky

80's: 8 Tracks (+ Sweetest Thing which was released in it's original version in this period)
90's: 3 tracks (although Sweetest Thing is originally from the 80's)
00's: 7 tracks

If these are the songs, then what's the best track order? I hope it's not chronological, as the flow wouldn't be the best. Here's my vote:

1. Elevation
2. I Will Follow
3. Vertigo
4. Desire
5. The Sweetest Thing
6. New Year's Day
7. Where The Streets Have No Name
8. Pride (In the Name of Love)
9. Sunday Bloody Sunday
10. One
11. Walk On
12. Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
13. Mysterious Ways
14. Window in the Sky (new song)
15. With or Without You
17. Beautiful Day
18. The Saints Are Coming (new song)

The Slow Loris said:

If these are the songs, then what's the best track order? I hope it's not chronological, as the flow wouldn't be the best. Here's my vote:

This is the 9 from cdwow.com:

I think chronological makes sense for the newbies it's targeted to.

ntalwar said:
I think chronological makes sense for the newbies it's targeted to.

I disagree. In my opinion you want to start the CD with the most recognisable song or the biggest hit. Based on recent/continued airplay I'm guessing Beautiful Day or Vertigo might kick it off.

If I was making a disk for a casual fan I'd do something like this:

Beautiful Day
I Still Haven't Found...
Sweetest Thing
One
New Years Day
Pride
Window On The Sky
With or Without You
Mysterious Ways
Elevation
Vertigo
Desire
Where the Streets..
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Angel of Harlem
Sometimes You Can't...
Walk On
I Will Follow
The Saints Are Coming

Sweetest Thing wont be on the U218.
It's just a bonus song on a Best Of CD.
Huge hit or not it's promoting diferent Best Of, you want it, you have to buy 1980-1990 CD.
U218 has Window on The Sky and The Saints Are coming
Best Of 1990-2000 had Electrical Storm and THTBA
Best Of 1980-1990 had Sweetest Thing

...I think it would be a huge waste of space on the CD to include Sweetest Thing...again

Well, sucks for you, because it's part of the contest, and therefore on the album. And let's face it, "Sweetest Thing" receives more continual airplay than any other 90's U2 track (with the exception of "One" and "Mysterious Ways").........

Um, most of the songs were probably released on the two Best ofs, aside of Bomb singles, Windows on the sky and The saints are coming.

S. thing won't be the only one.

It looks like all banners from the u2.com contest were found today.
IF(!) the 16 different lyrics indicate the tracklisting of U2 18 singles, these songs will make the cut:

01 New Year's Day
02 Sunday Bloody Sunday
03 Pride (In The Name Of Love)
04 Where The Streets Have No Name
05 I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
06 With Or Without You
07 Desire
08 One
09 Mysterious Ways
10 Sweetest Thing
11 Beautiful Day
12 Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
13 Elevation
14 Walk On
15 Vertigo
16 Sometime You Can't Make It On Your Own
17 Window On The Sky
18 The Saints Are Coming

This list surprises me. In a bad way :tsk:
It looks like:
- Boy, October, Zooropa & Pop are ignored
- Almost half of the songs are post 2000
- 4 songs from All That You Can't Leave Behind

I'm glad they don't call it a Best Of. But they should've called it "U2 - The Random Selection Of 18 Singles With Not Too Many Old Songs, Because You Might Have Forgotten Them And Remember: Ignore Our Experimental Period In the '90's" :p

But I still hope I'm wrong.:shrug:

OneDayFly said:
It looks like all banners from the u2.com contest were found today.
IF(!) the 16 different lyrics indicate the tracklisting of U2 18 singles, these songs will make the cut:

01 New Year's Day
02 Sunday Bloody Sunday
03 Pride (In The Name Of Love)
04 Where The Streets Have No Name
05 I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
06 With Or Without You
07 Desire
08 One
09 Mysterious Ways
10 Sweetest Thing
11 Beautiful Day
12 Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
13 Elevation
14 Walk On
15 Vertigo
16 Sometime You Can't Make It On Your Own
17 Window On The Sky
18 The Saints Are Coming

This list surprises me. In a bad way :tsk:
It looks like:
- Boy, October, Zooropa & Pop are ignored
- Almost half of the songs are post 2000
- 4 songs from All That You Can't Leave Behind

I'm glad they don't call it a Best Of. But they should've called it "U2 - The Random Selection Of 18 Singles With Not Too Many Old Songs, Because You Might Have Forgotten Them And Remember: Ignore Our Experimental Period In the '90's" :p

But I still hope I'm wrong.:shrug:

hope thats not true, cant imagine u218 singles without at least(!) i will follow... whats more with album cover from their punk-rock period
to many songs form ATYCLB(are they mad 4 songs?!-i will give only b.day) and joshua(personally i will give 2 songs)
and whats with zooropa and pop?
:mad:

Back
Top Bottom