Maybe the naysayers of NLOTH have some truth...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

walkon274

The Fly
Check out this article about general reception so far of NLOTH. I wonder if we're seeing Pop all over again. Initial rave reviews, corny and unreceived first single, then album fades to black.

Why Is U2 Projecting So Low? | U2 news article from @U2

Note the article's point on how the masses have concluded GOYB blows. That's what some of us got destroyed on here for saying, yet the statistics show our initial disappointment with the song has been echoed by the general music audience.

Does anyone think that this may be the beginning of the end of them? Just a thought. Personally, I love Magnificent and Breathe, but the rest of the album just doesn't do it for me.

mmmm.. i thought about bono's haircut too. The last time it was short it was during pop. but this album has better songs than pop. Pop had one good song "GONE" NLOTH has at least 5. NLOTH, MAGNIFICENT, MOMENT OF SURRENDER and I'LL GO CRAZY..and boots/breathe (tied in my book)

Check out this article about general reception so far of NLOTH. I wonder if we're seeing Pop all over again. Initial rave reviews, corny and unreceived first single, then album fades to black.

Why Is U2 Projecting So Low? | U2 news article from @U2

Does anyone think that this may be the beginning of the end of them? Just a thought. Personally, I love Magnificent and Breathe, but the rest of the album just doesn't do it for me.

They should have released a second single by now. I like GOYB, but the public at large has rejected it.

1. I cared about this when GOYB was first released. I really, really don't care anymore. I like the album, the naysayers don't. Somehow, someway, I might survive.

2. This was probably posted in the wrong section, since it revolves around sales numbers.

3. U2 IZ DOOMED! THIS IS THE END OF MY THEIR LIFE AS WE KNOW IT!
omg_onoz.gif

Let's see the album has officially been out 3 whole days in the states, they are playing Letterman every night amongst other shows to excited fans that aren't necessarily U2 fans, the majority of reviews are good, and it's not nearly as divisive as the previous two albums here on interference...

Yep this is the end. :|

Let's see the album has officially been out 3 whole days in the states, they are playing Letterman every night amongst other shows to excited fans that aren't necessarily U2 fans, the majority of reviews are good, and it's not nearly as divisive as the previous two albums here on interference...

Yep this is the end. :|

:lol: yes and they will sell millions...have great a great live show...win 7 or 8 grammys...and save the world in the while...woe is us:reject: :drool:

I wonder if we're seeing Pop all over again.

Pop all over again. how horrible. that album was complete shit. and the tour? so lame.

"how the masses", yes because they totally went to every single town, village and street in the entire universe and said "Do you like Get on your boots".

Some people on interference : "Oh neoz we want another Pop"
Some people on interference: "Oh neoz is this another Pop"

"how the masses", yes because they totally went to every single town, village and street in the entire universe and said "Do you like Get on your boots".

Best joke ever hhahahahahahaha, I love Boots and have never been asked about. I mean, some media vehicles want to spread the chaos where there's none.
:lol::applaud:

Hey look, I'm happy they put out Magnificent, Breathe, and Fez-born again, that's enough for me. However, if we're going to seriously discuss how good the album is, let's actually consider reality here. The lead single's top position was what? 64th? That's not good reception for what some were calling the most anticipated album of the year. When you consider Viva la Vida sold double of NLOTH on the first day of sale, you gotta wonder about the band's relevance slipping. It's like the Stones in the 80's, it has to happen some time, is it happening now?

Hey look, I'm happy they put out Magnificent, Breathe, and Fez-born again, that's enough for me. However, if we're going to seriously discuss how good the album is, let's actually consider reality here.

OK, fair enough. Let's do this.

The lead single's top position was what? 64th?

Sorry, lost me there. You expressed a desire to discuss quality, and then inexplicably jumped over to the Hot 100.

Hey look, I'm happy they put out Magnificent, Breathe, and Fez-born again, that's enough for me. However, if we're going to seriously discuss how good the album is, let's actually consider reality here. The lead single's top position was what? 64th? That's not good reception for what some were calling the most anticipated album of the year. When you consider Viva la Vida sold double of NLOTH on the first day of sale, you gotta wonder about the band's relevance slipping. It's like the Stones in the 80's, it has to happen some time, is it happening now?

No hang on a minute, for one your saying its peak was #64? yes in the US here in the UK it was #12, but then you go on to state VLV sold double on its first day? where in the UK or the US?, yes maybe it did here in the UK, but the fact is there a new up and coming UK band who are obviously just "discovering" who coldplay are,

imo your just trying to cause a bit of an argument.

Oh, and the song is called "Fez - Being Born". If you're going to use sales data to create a precise scientific formula for the objective quality of a given musical composition, at least have a cursory knowledge of what it is you're trying so hard to deconstruct.

If you really want to compare to Viva La Vida, remember that their lead single, Violet Hill, wasn't exactly a hit either.

If Magnificent, the second single, is well received, then all is well.

OK, fair enough. Let's do this.

Sorry, lost me there. You expressed a desire to discuss quality, and then inexplicably jumped over to the Hot 100.

I disagree though about your analysis of what is good. There are many ways you can measure a "good" song. Of course each listener has their own subjective opinion. However, while mass sales do not always equate with "good" they can some times be an indicator. U2 has sold over 140 millions albums because they are a f$cking great rock band. Likewise, I think the fact the first single, which usually is the strongest radio song on the album, dropped like a stone says something about the overall quality of the song and the album. My initial reaction was, wow how could anyone like this? Obviously not too many people do.

The next thought becomes, well what other songs really stand out above and beyond GOYB? Magnificent and Breathe, that's it. I guarantee you no other song on that album will go anywhere on radio or be praised.

Come to think of it, Magnficent, and to a lesser degree Breathe, may be the only way this album keeps selling come summer time. U2 knows this, look what songs they've played and pushed since the beginning of this week. You'd never know they wrote GOYB.

I disagree though about your analysis of what is good. There are many ways you can measure a "good" song. Of course each listener has their own subjective opinion. However, while mass sales do not always equate with "good" they can some times be an indicator. U2 has sold over 140 millions albums because they are a f$cking great rock band. Likewise, I think the fact the first single, which usually is the strongest radio song on the album, dropped like a stone says something about the overall quality of the song and the album. My initial reaction was, wow how could anyone like this? Obviously not too many people do.

The next thought becomes, well what other songs really stand out above and beyond GOYB? Magnificent and Breathe, that's it. I guarantee you no other song on that album will go anywhere on radio or be praised.

Come to think of it, Magnficent, and to a lesser degree Breathe, may be the only way this album keeps selling come summer time.

Achtung Baby's biggest hits were not its first single. :shrug:

I love how ONE article has spawned this thread.

Its like we're not even "jumping to conclusions" anymore....its more like "vaulting to conclusions"....or maybe even "rocketing out of the stratosphere to conclusions".

Walkon274, seriously.....whats your deal? Its like you feel betrayed by this album in some way and your working really really hard to convince everyone to feel the same way you do. I'll give you credit that atleast this time you are giving us a semblance of evidence to back your claim.....even if it really is just ONE article. Its a start I guess....baby steps....baby steps :down:

NLOTH is amazing.

I hate myself for caring about album sales. :reject:

But I hate that this is ammo for the Coldplay wins! crowd and that my fellow youth have absolutely not been won over one bit by this album.:sad::sad:

I just think we can balance both things. People's reactions are different, obviously, but for what I've been reading responses have been mostly positive on NLOTH. In music history the best bands have failed in being innovative all the time simply because it's pretty normal. In the current music scene, on the other hand, U2 have been keeping the torch burning...and the group is over 30 years on. Again, that doesn't mean there haven't been mistakes along the way. But it's part of the game. I think.

It seems that some people are too busy analyzing and critiquing to actually feel the music, and enjoy it.

I agree. Not talking about you specifically walkon, but just in general. I cant be bothered with all the technical stuff, sales charts, statistics, what other people think about U2, etc. I just put my damn cd in and fully enjoy everything that comes out of it.

I love how ONE article has spawned this thread.

Its like we're not even "jumping to conclusions" anymore....its more like "vaulting to conclusions"....or maybe even "rocketing out of the stratosphere to conclusions".

Walkon274, seriously.....whats your deal? Its like you feel betrayed by this album in some way and your working really really hard to convince everyone to feel the same way you do. I'll give you credit that atleast this time you are giving us a semblance of evidence to back your claim.....even if it really is just ONE article. Its a start I guess....baby steps....baby steps :down:

Hold on bro. First off, why do I need concrete evidence to state my opinion on here? That seems to be the general trend with a few interesting individuals in this forum. They demand concrete evidence as if every poster is on trial for giving an opinion. I told people 4 weeks ago that in my opinion GOYB blew and that in my opinion it had no substance. Every one blasted me on here for not "proving" why it sucked. Yet, low and behold apparently millions of unbiased, U2 minds think it sucks too.

I've also said I think this album save for about 3 - 4 songs is rubbish, and people again say I'm a troll. Why? I am entitled to my opinion. I'm not trying to convince anyone on here. The point though is, many of you simply don't want to be open-minded or critical about this new album. It's UNBELIEVABLY GOOD PERIOD. However, now we're starting to see critics with 2 star reviews, a terrible reaction to the first single, and slow first week album sales. I love U2 but this may be when their ship starts to sale. Why can't this be discussed?

As to everyone else, remember Bono said before this album RELEVANCE mattered. In this case, that means RELEVANCE to the music scene in general. GOYB certainly is not relevant. I'm worried about NLOTH being relevant too.

Back
Top Bottom