Maybe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pentax

The Fly
Maybe I’m reading too much into this?

"We've been doing a lot of work with Rick, and at this point, it
Seems to be going very well, so my guess would be yes, he's going to be producing our new record," Edge said. "We're still in the early stages, so it's difficult to say what will happen or what it will be like, but we've really been enjoying the sessions, and I don't see any reason why they should stop." http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/15...?headlines=true

When the Edge was asked by Q magazine (THE 2006 Q AWARDS ISSUE) if Rubin will be producing the next album he said he doesn’t know and that it is too early to tell. This article can be found here PLEBA go to page 2 then scroll down until you get to Bono on the cover of Q….Page 5.

Who spoke to the Edge first? If it was MTV then is it time to get concerned?
:(

I dont know what all this big fuss is about Rubin??

Is he that good? and why is her good..

It seems to me he is a guy with alot of other work on his plate that sounds bad to me :(

Rubin likes the bands he works with to have most of if not all the songs ready before they get into the studio that way all they need to do is record the songs done! I just hope I’m reading too much into it and we don’t end up with another: Oh, we did not get on with the producer ……:shrug:

The MTV News article was posted on atu2.com on Sept 26th, so it's at least that old.

pentax said:
Rubin likes the bands he works with to have most of if not all the songs ready before they get into the studio that way all they need to do is record the songs done! I just hope I’m reading too much into it and we don’t end up with another: Oh, we did not get on with the producer ……:shrug:

If the bands already have the songs done, then why do they need him to produce it? The producer helps the band create the song. The producer is sort of there to offer an outsiders opinion and give suggestions to help make the songs better. Sometimes it's best to have an outside opinion on something besides the four band members. The recording engineer likes to have all the songs done before the band come to him, so that he can just hit record, and then edit and mix the songs. The producer is there for the majority of the album's making.

My guess is Rubin will produce some of the tracks when he has time, and Lillywhite, Lanois or Eno will produce the rest of it.

The_acrobat said:

If the bands already have the songs done, then why do they need him to produce it? The producer helps the band create the song. The producer is sort of there to offer an outsiders opinion and give suggestions to help make the songs better. Sometimes it's best to have an outside opinion on something besides the four band members. The recording engineer likes to have all the songs done before the band come to him, so that he can just hit record, and then edit and mix the songs. The producer is there for the majority of the album's making.

My guess is Rubin will produce some of the tracks when he has time, and Lillywhite, Lanois or Eno will produce the rest of it.

Yes, because watching through that way... there's no much work for Rubin to do in comparison to many other producers!

Guess Rubin likes to have all the baby-food already done, so he doesn't have to worry much about the work that is still lacking.

The_acrobat said:

If the bands already have the songs done, then why do they need him to produce it? The producer helps the band create the song.

That's not true. While a producer may help with songwriting, they also aid in the recording and arrangement of the songs.

powerhour24 said:

WORD! I've been saying this for awhile.

I don't know how U2 would sound with him... he likes guitars to either be acoustic or massively ethereal....

A record producer can help a band record nearly-there songs, he can help create the songs from snippets of stuff like U2 does in the studio, hell he may even play instruments in the mix.

There seems to be a gross misconception around Interference that a record producer basically sits behind the control board and turns on the metronome and hits record+play. There are infinite variables and possibilities when recording and every producer works differently. It's amazing how a band will make it from an acoustic demo to a polished single - that is the job of a good producer.

I really think it's critical that U2 settle on one producer for the next record so we can get something resembling an album, instead of a singles collection as HTDAAB turned out to be. Song for song, HTDAAB might be a better album than Pop or Zooropa, but it lacks a unified sound beyond being 'universally radio friendly'.

Last edited:
Originally posted by The_acrobat My guess is Rubin will produce some of the tracks when he has time, and Lillywhite, Lanois or Eno will produce the rest of it.

*WHOLE ALBUM GOES DOWN THE PAN!!!*

Back
Top Bottom