MARK MY WORDS: Album out BY Super Bowl, FIRST SINGLE at the LEAST

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
97.5 million viewers all watching the same commercial is nothing to sneeze at.

I know that there's a huge worldwide contempt for American football, but get over it. You don't like the game? Fine. But to say that U2 promoting an album during one of the biggest American events of the year is a bad idea because it would alienate the rest of the world is ridiculous.

So U2 playing the halftime show, was that offensive to the rest of the world? How about the Stones, did their European fan base freak out?

But to say that U2 promoting an album during one of the biggest American events of the year is a bad idea because it would alienate the rest of the world is ridiculous.

Promoting an album or doing a halftime show is one thing. Making it exclusive, holding the album's release to make some sort of premiere during it is another thing!

This thread went from awesome to classic, and barely a mention of U2's new album.

Cheerleading is a joke. Hot women, but downright ridiculous. The entire culture of Gridiron (pro or college) itself in general is just bizarre.

Baseball is pretty pure though. Not the most universally scintillating sport, but you gotta respect a sport that respect's it's traditions, and truly is all about the sport itself and the natural culture of following your club. Admirable....

Calling the final seven-game tie between two American clubs the World Series smacks of arrogance though.....

Advertising during the Superbowl = Ideal marketing for the album

So fuck the rest of the world? :lol: I know Americans care about U2. And I also realize that the US is probably U2's biggest market. But there are fans in the rest of the world... those who don't give a shit about American Football. They'll probably look at this like U2 is kissing American ass yet again. If U2 has to latch on to a sporting event, it's better to pick a worldwide sport like Soccer. That is if they give a shit about fans outside America.

:up:
Cause America is the biggest market, they don't need a Super Bowl (whatever that is...).
I know some people here in Europe who go to concerts, just because of ' hey it's a U2 show, it's this band ehhhm, what was the singers name again?' So yeah shit about fans outside America, it doesn't change the fact, however, that shows will be sold out within minutes.

It's funny to me that in an above post, football is bizarre, but BASEBALL of all American sports is pure.

To an American, that's hilarious. Baseball? The Cheater's Game?

It's funny to me that in an above post, football is bizarre, but BASEBALL of all American sports is pure.

To an American, that's hilarious. Baseball? The Cheater's Game?

I'm pretty sure that you're not really understanding what the discussion was about. Very sure, now that I re-read your post.

EYKIW, why am I here???? More fool me.

ok, zoots, you have some of the most idiotic opinions on this subject....I don't even know where to begin...and I don't think I will begin....:rolleyes:

ok, zoots, you have some of the most idiotic opinions on this subject....I don't even know where to begin...and I don't think I will begin....:rolleyes:

Yeah, better save your breath for rambling on about how Coldplay rips off U2 at every turn! :up:

I think Zootlesque is 100% right.

When I see this:

superbowl41.jpg

... I see the same thing as here:

kcaqv4.jpg

a circus, not sport event, sorry.

I wasn't even talking about the game, only the side entertainment. But I have to agree with you there, bathiu. That is a hilarious analogy! :lol:

Okay. How about this: U2, realizing worldwide sporting events are a way to sell albums, release it in America the day of the February 2009 Superbowl, and to the rest of the world the day of the June-July 2010 World Cup. Sounds good to me. That will, of course, maximize sales. :|

Some people here are way too overzealous about their hatred for American Football. Obviously they have no idea about the kind of coordination it takes for these players to learn every play, every route; to try to protect the quarterback when you have a 250lb lineman trying to get at him; to catch a 30 yard pass with a defender trying to rip it from your grasp at every opportunity. You can hate the sport, but don't deny that it is indeed a sport. It's not a circus show and it certainly isn't easy.

Sorry for the off-topic comment.

Some people here are way too overzealous about their hatred for American Football. Obviously they have no idea about the kind of coordination it takes for these players to learn every play, every route; to try to protect the quarterback when you have a 250lb lineman trying to get at him; to catch a 30 yard pass with a defender trying to rip it from your grasp at every opportunity. You can hate the sport, but don't deny that it is indeed a sport. It's not a circus show and it certainly isn't easy.

Sorry for the off-topic comment.

Well said! Plus, pro wrestling is NOT a circus. It's sports entertainment and I'm pretty sure none of you would last a second in a wrestling ring. :mad:

U2 have been involved with the NFL (Remember when U2 performed The Saints Are Marching during an NFL game broadcasted live from New Orleans?) and the Super Bowl (Remember, they performed during halftime, which btw, is a big fuckin' deal in the US?) before, so this doesn't seem so far-fetched.

I fucking LOVE golf. And I'm damn good at it. Didn't get out to play as much as I should have this summer, though.

And there are cheerleaders in golf. Kinda. The girls that ride around in the carts selling beer. They're always really hot.

I love football, and I would love to sit next to any member of U2 at a football game and explain exactly what is happening.

The biggest television event of the year, basically a National Holiday and you think U2 will let The Boss have all the GLORY?

Something will be cooking with U2 by then....at least the first single will be out for one of the SUPER BOWL COMMERCIALS!

Nobody in the rest of the world really gives a fuck about the SUPERBOWL.

Have U2 really become so US-centric?

I suppose they probably have.

You could have a point here.

ok, zoots, you have some of the most idiotic opinions on this subject

This is out of line, Rob, and you know it. Simply because you don't agree with someone doesn't give you a free pass to insult them. People have different opinions than you. I suggest you learn to deal with it in a more tactful way.

As for the rest of this thread and posters - if you want to argue the merits of football and sports in general, we've got a forum for that. This thread is about the album and it's release. If we can't get back on topic... well you know the rest. :)

Last edited:
Diemen, all due respect, props for being a fabulous new mod, but I have to say, as I got at earlier in this thread...this thread is not about the album and its release. It is a wildly speculative and unfounded theory someone pulled from god knows where. So are several other threads in this forum. Yet their subjects make no indication that they are theories. WTAHNN is really useful for getting news about the album if you can pick out the legit news from the random "I had a dream" threads, but at the moment you can't. Furthermore, while it is fun adn good to discuss random theories and conjectures about the album, the volume of separate threads devoted to individual theories is ridiculous and in my opinion unnecessary and redundant. It seems to me people start new threads about their personal theories so they can get in an I told you so later (see: "MARK MY WORDS"). That shouldn't be enough of a reason to clutter up the forum with a separate thread.

This isn't an attack on the OP specifically, just on this practice that has built up a lot of frustration in myself and others over time, so apologies for singling out this thread to rant in. But could the Mods maybe do something about the clutter of threads devoid of real information or even focused/unique/purposeful discussion? If people want to speculate wildly, can we have just one thread for sharing and criticizing unfounded theories?

WOW! I sure created a MONSTER of a thread. My intent was to discuss U2, but somehow it turned into "soccer is better than football" or vice versa.
Personally, I love football and I love U2 and I would love to hear a new song, heck a snippet during the Super Bowl at some point. That's all

And knowing U2, I think they'll sneak something in because they don't wanna miss the big party!

if the first single has released by then it wouldn't surprise me at all
would make good sense even

even though american football does suck
etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom