MARK MY WORDS: Album out BY Super Bowl, FIRST SINGLE at the LEAST

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I read the title of this thread and immediately went "Duh":doh: of course we'll get a single by at least January. I don't doubt this at all. And as far as the Superbowl...U2 conquered that once before and as a way to introduce new and potentially innovative music, I think it would be a mistake.

Wasn't All Because of You launched or steamed on ESPN?
Was that a Superbowl?
*off to do some google research*

Edited to say - Just for the record: ESPN premiered the video for
U2's single, 'All Because of You', premiered on 01-04-05.

Lol @ Gridiron, "football" where they barely use their feet, and wear layer upon layer of armour when the physicality of the game is lnot much tougher than Aussie "football" and thugby.

A February release would suit me though, I have a sneaking suspicion that the album won't be out until April-May '09, or if U2opt for a post-modern sudden Radiohead/Bloc Partay style release, November '08.

:lol: You clearly haven't watched much American football.

Don't be ignorant. How many games of AFL have you seen to compare these? We get coverage of American Football here, so intedomine may very well be familiar with it. I know I've watched a few games in my time. I think his observations are valid.

Outside of the World Cup, name one match that gets global attention?
Any Premier League match involving Chelsea, Man United, Arsenal or Liverpool
Any match involving the likes of Milan, Inter, Barcelona, Real Madrid etc.
Any match during the UEFA Champions League
UEFA Cup Final
FA Cup Final
Any match during the European Cup

I could go on, but as a general statement the whole world is watching association football, all the time.

Don't be ignorant. How many games of AFL have you seen to compare these? We get coverage of American Football here, so intedomine may very well be familiar with it. I know I've watched a few games in my time. I think his observations are valid.

I think they're valid, but also irrelevant. Seriously, who gives a shit if the athletes are in pain when they're playing the game or not? All I care about is being entertained, and American football sufficiently entertains me. To claim that it's not a sport is laughably elitist (which our good friend Axver has done numerous times in the past), and to basically claim it's for pussies is equally absurd. I find American baseball dull. I find car racing dull. Hell, most sports, for me, are uninteresting to watch. Do I take time to degrade them (and, by extension, those who watch them) every time they're brought up in a conversation? No. Otherwise, I would've been banned from Put Em Under Pressure a long time ago.

Seriously, who gives a shit if the athletes are in pain when they're playing the game or not? All I care about is being entertained, and American football sufficiently entertains me.

This is my problem in general with American sports. Nowhere in the world do sports and entertainment mix, only in the US! It's like a freaking broadway show! Music, fanfare, half time shows, cheerleaders etc. I like to watch sports for the game, not to be entertained.

This is my problem in general with American sports. Nowhere in the world do sports and entertainment mix, only in the US! It's like a freaking broadway show! Music, fanfare, half time shows, cheerleaders etc. I like to watch sports for the game, not to be entertained.

What else would you want a game that you have no part in to do besides entertain you? :scratch:

What else would you want a game that you have no part in to do besides entertain you? :scratch:

I like to watch sports for the game, not to be entertained.

Basically when I watch Soccer or Tennis or even Cricket, I'm following the game. I don't expect nor want the first 30 seconds of some song playing as a player enters the field! No need for pointless half time shows or stupid cheerleaders. I can get such entertainment elsewhere, not while I'm trying to follow a game seriously.

Basically when I watch Soccer or Tennis or even Cricket, I'm following the game. I don't expect nor want the first 30 seconds of some song playing as a player enters the field! No need for pointless half time shows or stupid cheerleaders. I can get such entertainment elsewhere, not while I'm trying to follow a game seriously.

Give me a break.

Go sit in the stands at a football match in England or Brazil or Mexico or countless other places......they're playing drums, singing tons of songs, not at all sober........are they seriously following the game?

Also, have you attended a baseball game? There are no cheerleaders. There is no halftime.

You didn't answer my question. Why are you watching the game, if not to be entertained? You're not involved in it. You're sitting in your house, staring at your television screen, and feeling some sort of emotion one way or another towards what you're watching. Are you not being entertained?

Furthermore, you HIGHLY (and I emphasize "highly") exaggerate the utilization of outside media during a game. Seriously, the halftime festivities are never shown on television during an American football game, and the cheerleaders are only seldom shown. If you don't enjoy the sport, go on and say so, but don't give me a bunch of BS reasons for it that are completely irrelevant to the game itself.

Soccer?

You're telling us there's no extra entertainment in soccer?

With a straight face?

Give me a break.

Go sit in the stands at a football match in England or Brazil or Mexico or countless other places......they're playing drums, singing tons of songs, not at all sober........are they seriously following the game?

It's different. They're not blasting popular music thru the PA system! I don't know, maybe it's just me. But I find it really silly the way they do it in the US... like it's a freaking amusement show. It's a game... I'm not here to be entertained! :huh: I'm here to follow the game, enjoy the weather outside if I'm lucky and just be out and about.

Also, have you attended a baseball game? There are no cheerleaders. There is no halftime.

Yes I have. Several. Mostly Yankees games. But anyway, while I agree there are no cheerleaders or half time shows, there's again the music that's playing every time a player enters and the chants and fanfares and what not. I just find the whole thing silly. :reject: :shrug:

It's different. They're not blasting popular music thru the PA system! I don't know, maybe it's just me. But I find it really silly the way they do it in the US... like it's a freaking amusement show. It's a game... I'm not here to be entertained! :huh: I'm here to follow the game, enjoy the weather outside if I'm lucky and just be out and about.

Yes I have. Several. Mostly Yankees games. But anyway, while I agree there are no cheerleaders or half time shows, there's again the music that's playing every time a player enters and the chants and fanfares and what not. I just find the whole thing silly. :reject: :shrug:

I'm glad that you agree that baseball has no cheerleaders or halftime shows, whew. :)

I still don't know why it's acceptable for fans to sing songs all game long at a football match, but 5 second snippets of songs as batters come to the plate offends. Eh.

By the way, what do you want at halftime? A Prayer circle? Politicla discourse? You know that it's halftime, yes? There's not a game going on.

cmcountryclubgj5.jpg

Zoots, stumbling upon the 21st century and not liking what he sees.

If you don't enjoy the sport, go on and say so, but don't give me a bunch of BS reasons for it that are completely irrelevant to the game itself.

I don't enjoy the sport. But that's not the reason I'm talking about the entertainment side of it.

Soccer?

You're telling us there's no extra entertainment in soccer?

With a straight face?

Not like in American sports.

Do you cheer for anyone?

Of course! I don't cheerlead if that's what you're asking. :laugh:

cmcountryclubgj5.jpg

Zoots, stumbling upon the 21st century and not liking what he sees.

Gimme a freaking break! This has nothing to do with old fashioned notions of sports or whatever! I just don't like all the silly extra stuff that goes on in American sports.

I realize I'm not gonna win this argument anyway, since all of you were probably born and raised here and love American sports. So I won't derail this thread anymore. :wave:

i get what Zoots is saying, but i feel like saying all you want out of sports is 'entertainment' is discounting all the emotional, physical and financial ties you have with your favourite sports team. it's more than just entertainment. at least for me.

i get what Zoots is saying, but i feel like saying all you want out of sports is 'entertainment' is discounting all the emotional, physical and financial ties you have with your favourite sports team. it's more than just entertainment. at least for me.

Actually, this is very true. Of course, that only applies to one game a week for me, but I can definitely understand what you're saying here. I wouldn't watch the sport at all if I didn't find it entertaining, but those few games that hit close to home go beyond that. Ironically, I find those the least entertaining of all; they tend to piss me off, in fact.

I go to sports games that have music, cheerleaders etc. It doesn't diminish my enjoyment of the team and the game because my ties are stronger than being impressed by music and dancers. Because it doesn't bother me, I don't care about it being used to attract extra people along if it means a bigger, louder crowd and more money going to the team.

It's not an American sport, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom