Magnificent's extended guitar solo...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hasin73

Refugee
.... which was heard at the clips of making of NLOTH on the 3cities clip, for what reason it was cut? This would make a great track the GREATEST
ever song.

Can anybody explain it please?

i think they will play Magnificent like the album version on the concerts...with a lot of guitar work of The Edge!

It sounds like a improvisation solo... not much more....

And it would make it the greatest song ever?????? :hmm:

That sounds like they were just jamming...definitely not a real finished solo. What I'm wondering about is why they cut out Larry's awesome drumming in that father eno drum video clip?! I guess thats what Eno meant about changing it up a bit and adding a "swish" to the song by replacing Larrys steady snare oriented beat to adding the dance like hi hat. Maybe they saw too many similarities with A Sort Of Homecoming and Streets?

It sounds like a improvisation solo... not much more....

And it would make it the greatest song ever?????? :hmm:

They couldn't have been just improvising, the same solo is featured on the "Fez" clip from iTunes. Not all iTunes stores have it, though, I think it's only the Irish and American ones, am I wrong?

it took me a while to understand why Edge plays the solo he does, but i finally "got" it and it's only more proof that this dude really is a genius :up:

I kinda fail to see why the version would be a better solo than what is on the album. I love it when Edge plays slide guitar solos!

I don't understand why they took it out...

DO IT LIVE!
ff95a5265fb63e809f01f6104c4d526d.jpg

That specific solo doesn't have to be it. But Magnificent's solo is REALLY fucking weak.

This album is pretty unimpressive for Edge.

I kinda fail to see why the version would be a better solo than what is on the album. I love it when Edge plays slide guitar solos!

I think the chosen album solo is much more interesting partly because the guitar is using a different sound than the main guitar melody.

I'd say this is true, but only because The Edge isn't differentiating his sound enough. I'm so tired of the millennial guitar setting -- the one begun with ATYCLB and in which he "rewrote" (butchered) "Pop" songs. Bring back the wah-wah. I haven't heard Cedars in full or "Fez-Being Born" yet; saving them. However, so far, there's nothing nearly as innovative or interesting or complex as "The Fly" or "Acrobat" or "Love is Blindness" guitar wise. Even Pop was more adventurous. I'm not saying I hate it, but I think The Edge really let down the album. Also, "Breathe" could have used a louder bass guitar setting; I'm already bored by it.

I'd say this is true, but only because The Edge isn't differentiating his sound enough. I'm so tired of the millennial guitar setting -- the one begun with ATYCLB and in which he "rewrote" (butchered) "Pop" songs. Bring back the wah-wah. I haven't heard Cedars in full or "Fez-Being Born" yet; saving them. However, so far, there's nothing nearly as innovative or interesting or complex as "The Fly" or "Acrobat" or "Love is Blindness" guitar wise. Even Pop was more adventurous. I'm not saying I hate it, but I think The Edge really let down the album. Also, "Breathe" could have used a louder bass guitar setting; I'm already bored by it.

WTF? You still haven't heard Fez or Cedars?? what the heck are you saving them for?? holy dam!!! Well I'de suggest you hear Fez if you want to hear experimental. That track is the most experimental track on the album and is easily on the top 3 best of the album IMHO

the album has been officially released for over a month, and we've had it since what, February 17th or so thanks to Universal Australia? and you haven't listened to two songs yet? so you haven't even listened to the album front to back like its intended to be? uh...

This is just really strange...what are you doing?! It's almost frustrating to read your comments regarding the new album...just fucking listen to it for fuck's sake.

I don't get it. This solo goes nowhere and destroys any build-up. It's too chimey and not slidey enough - Edge could write it in his sleep. All in my opinion, of course.

That specific solo doesn't have to be it. But Magnificent's solo is REALLY fucking weak.

very true......is it just me or does his guitar sound buried into the mix. not exploding as it should be. that solo is by far the better one. however...maybe it didnt fit into the structure of the song. would be killer outtake though. maybe an alternate version.

With all of this talk about solos, I can't help but think we have a lot of fans that are new to U2...

Please elaborate your comment. Because i am a fan of U2 from 1988 and i love guitar solos by Edge the most than anything in the whole music world.
What's wrong if that solo was included in the final part of the song?

Please elaborate your comment. Because i am a fan of U2 from 1988 and i love guitar solos by Edge the most than anything in the whole music world.
What's wrong if that solo was included in the final part of the song?

I think what he means is that if you are a big lover of guitar solos, U2 might not be your band. Because Edge isn't a solo player, he barely plays guitar solos, and if he does, they're minimal. I'm NOT saying this is a bad thing, it suits U2's music. But it's just like that, if you like big solos, you shouldn't try to find them in U2.

Back
Top Bottom