Magnificent video is out, what do you think about it ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you think of the Magnificent Video

• Total voters
There was one moment where I did have a bit of a smile on my face. I was talking to DOL13 while I was watching it, and I said: "FOR FUCKS SAKE, we got it, the sheets are uncovering the city can something else please happen?" And as soon as I said that, there was a sudden jump to "bono's ass...ok".

Hm, I either missed that or didn't even make it to that point. I did see the city though.

Is it worth watching again for that? :hmm:

Saw the little shot of Bono's ass now, haha! :lol:

Seriously, I truly wonder what Alex Courtes said before shooting that. "Okay, Bono, you'll be walking a few steps forward along the street while we're doing a close-up of your ass! It'll look magnificent!" :crack:

I voted ok

I think anything but a simple video ruins this song-for me this is a song that you should listen to and visualize for yourself and not think of the video every time you hear the song. So for me it's perfectly fine.

Yes the Bono butt shot was randomly out of place

Saw the little shot of Bono's ass now, haha! :lol:

Seriously, I truly wonder what Alex Courtes said before shooting that. "Okay, Bono, you'll be walking a few steps forward along the street while we're doing a close-up of your ass! It'll look magnificent!" :crack:

For some reason the thought of "magnificent ass" cracked me up.

Hate it. Mainly cause since I've heard the song I've had a much cooler video in my head, and the video seems really uninspired... especially the parts with the band playing.

Maybe I'm over interpreting, but I kind of see this as a message to the Middle East. Islamic fundamentalists have really "shrouded" a lot of Muslim countries in overly strict laws and oppression of women, and "only love" can throw off these shrouds. To me, the young people dancing in the video symbolize a new generation who are throwing off the old ways of thinking. Similar to the Beatles "All you need is love" message.

Again, I'm probably reading too much into it...
Or maybe it's a message to some people who imagine that any arabic guy is a potential terrorist or a religious moron who still lives in the middle-ages.

My two gripes with the video:

1) They shouldn't have shown the band at all. It takes you away from the awe-inspiring visuals elsewhere in the video. This song is like a supercharged hymn, a song of holiness, and the images of the shaul or whatever wrapped around the Moroccan village is totally mindblowing and leaves you breathless, and then you cut to Bono wearing his goggles, and it just ruins whatever spell the video had u in. At least they could've done something more original with the band, not just them in a studio rehearsal space going thru the motions.

2) They shortened the Edge's solo...which for me is the best part of the song. Damn A.D.D. generation.

Video is boring, would be watchable i guess had they not butchered the song in the editing room. The beginning and solo are the most interesting parts to their best song in 18 years. Thank god for the album version.

I'm still trying to understand the part with Bono's ass.:hmm::hmm: What is this all about ?:lol:

It could be worse; he could have had his hand down his pants.

Maybe that's in the extended version? :hmm:

It's not the video I'd imagined in my head...the one featuring pine trees and flying over local mountaintops, but it's still really beautiful. Amazing location in that room...an actual smile from Larry.

On the negative side, those sheets do make it look a bit like a fabric softener commercial...plus Edge's missing guitar. That really is the 'unghh!' part of the song, the part that keeps you hanging on.

Overall, great, but it could've been even greater.

Justed watched it...not bad, not bad at all!

Saw what they were going for.

BTW: Whose random ass was that?

Edit: Oh, u guys already discussed it. Sorry.

I wish I was around for the release of Mysterious Ways...now that is a kick ass video with a cool, Middle Eastern vibe I can dig.

Back
Top Bottom