Magnificent video is out, what do you think about it ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you think of the Magnificent Video

• Total voters
I agree with whoever said a few pages back that they liked the Sommerville video better. Now that was simplicity, but still shittin' cool.

I also agree though that the song itself is so big it really doesn't need an overly-crowded video, so I see where the boys were going with this. I loved the white sheets, but the band shots didn't strike a mood. They should have at least done something with the lighting.

I've heard of Streets.......but what's with the sheets?

Surely you've heard the 'where the sheets have no name' live version?

I liked the shots of the girl dancing....but the boy dancing was weird.

You got a problem with boys dancing??! :wink:

In all seriousness, U2 should just film their concerts and release videos based on the best live performances. That would be so much better!

Surely you've heard the 'where the sheets have no name' live version?

I thought it was "where the shreets have no name" :hmm:

You got a problem with boys dancing??! :wink:

In all seriousness, U2 should just film their concerts and release videos based on the best live performances. That would be so much better!

Exaclty. Sommerville baby. :up:

It's not bad but certainly not MAGNIFICIENT.

Where'd our Bono that couldn't stop looking at the camera go?? Is he brushing up on his acting skills now??

Will the sheets make their way into their concert performance? :hmm:

Boring video, worst if compared with the exciting video of Boots. The same dullness of the Bomb videos... it's a shame since the song is so good.

Interesting thoughts.

Or the unveiling of the old again, to expose ones' history, one's beginnings. which bono had mentioned. Africa being a place of beginnings.

Maybe I'm over interpreting, but I kind of see this as a message to the Middle East. Islamic fundamentalists have really "shrouded" a lot of Muslim countries in overly strict laws and oppression of women, and "only love" can throw off these shrouds. To me, the young people dancing in the video symbolize a new generation who are throwing off the old ways of thinking. Similar to the Beatles "All you need is love" message.

Again, I'm probably reading too much into it...

How do you figure that ? I would argue video's are just as important now than ever. People might not huddle round MTV any more but thats not the only place you can catch music video's.

Maybe your right. Maybe I'm just getting old. I hardly ever see videos on TV anymore, but I don't look for them. They still seem to be a force in the Hip-hop world. If I see something on Youtube, maybe I'll watch it once or twice like GOYB. I just don't see it as a major deal anymore. It seems like Itunes replaced a lot of that.

Maybe your right. Maybe I'm just getting old. I hardly ever see videos on TV anymore, but I don't look for them. They still seem to be a force in the Hip-hop world. If I see something on Youtube, maybe I'll watch it once or twice like GOYB. I just don't see it as a major deal anymore. It seems like Itunes replaced a lot of that.

But millions of people watch videos on youtube every day, that's huge promotion no matter what way you look at it. Saints was huge on youtube when it was released

It's not bad but certainly not MAGNIFICIENT.

Where'd our Bono that couldn't stop looking at the camera go?? Is he brushing up on his acting skills now??

Will the sheets make their way into their concert performance? :hmm:

Well actually I like it better that Bono is not looking into the camera. I like the parts best where he has his eyes closed. It's all about the passion. For the music and also for the city of Fez. I like how they go around admiring the city. It's a nice video, not spectacular, but it fits the song. The song can't have a video that is a visual overkill like the GOYB one.

It has a good (only good, not great) photography work/treatment... but nothing more. Besides that, it is not an very interesting video, like many performed by U2 during the 90s or even some of this decade.
As someone said, the band parts are nice only because the place is beautiful but, otherwise, the footage looks like a rehearsal or a making-of quality.
I like the video, but I was hoping for something miles much better for the best song from NLOTH and for the song that is supposed to make the boost for the album (that Boots didn't). I liked it, but I'm not impressed (w/ a bit of decepcion too).

Maybe I'm over interpreting, but I kind of see this as a message to the Middle East. Islamic fundamentalists have really "shrouded" a lot of Muslim countries in overly strict laws and oppression of women, and "only love" can throw off these shrouds. To me, the young people dancing in the video symbolize a new generation who are throwing off the old ways of thinking. Similar to the Beatles "All you need is love" message.

Again, I'm probably reading too much into it...

I don't think you're reading too much into it. I've been thinking along these lines all morning. Just haven't got the chance to respond.

Since I was only expecting it to rock my world, not change it. :wink:
I'm happy with it. :up:

I don't like the solo getting chopped in half for radio. I think it will be a solid hit on the radio. It has crossover potential and will likely end up on Adult Contemporary for a long time to come.

Is Bono perfecting the Liam Gallagher slouch here.

Like a lot of videos I see over here on Vh1, the band and the "theme" are disconnected. At least they haven't gone for that boring Ameri-rawk cliche of a video with a car crash or the emergency services running aorund saving some chick, or the rotten Nickelback ones of recent months... or those annoying blingy closeups of people farting around with ipods, phones, texting or whatever... the sheets look like CGI, my guess is for the most they are...

Hmmm an idea, seeing as Fez looks too much like Mos Eisley, a parting shot of the Millenium Falcon taking off for Alderran would've been a fun ending, ah well someone can do a mashup!!

Well that was...........dull.

Exactly my thoughts. I couldn't even get myself to finish it. :yawn:

It's just way too slow for me, and the whole Mysterious Ways thing... too alike.

And I don't like them chopping half of the song away.

Ah well, yet another performance video for the stash.

It's just way too slow for me, and the whole Mysterious Ways thing... too alike.

This is what I'm saying though, the song is just too slow in general to be done at that speed live. Think of how fuckin full out it would be done to the Fred Faulke remix speed! THAT would be cool, and the directors would have to come up with something realllly brilliant to match! :up:

Exactly my thoughts. I couldn't even get myself to finish it. :yawn:

And I don't like them chopping half of the song away.

Ah well, yet another performance video for the stash.

There was one moment where I did have a bit of a smile on my face. I was talking to DOL13 while I was watching it, and I said: "FOR FUCKS SAKE, we got it, the sheets are uncovering the city can something else please happen?" And as soon as I said that, there was a sudden jump to "bono's ass...ok".

This is what I'm saying though, the song is just too slow in general to be done at that speed live. Think of how fuckin full out it would be done to the Fred Faulke remix speed! THAT would be cool, and the directors would have to come up with something realllly brilliant to match! :up:

Well the song itself is not the problem to me. I usually watch a music video with sound to judge it, then watch it again without sound. This video is completely unbearable without sound.

I hope they're not going to cut the intro and solo live. :angry:

Back
Top Bottom