Magnificent video is out, what do you think about it ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you think of the Magnificent Video

• Total voters
Liberation in the Middle East? I can dig it. The band performance is a bit bland, aesthetically speaking, but nothing close to cringe-worthy (thanks Bono!) :wink: The city footage is beautiful, especially when the sheets go flyin'. Good mix of the song too (except the time edits) you can really hear Eno's magic in the second verse. I love the oscillating effect in the background of the song; reminds me of Lemon

Seriously we waited this long for this? The video isn't bad but seriously with all the delays and everything I expected more, this should of come out weeks ago

I love the simplicity of it. The boys playing in Fez, the surroundings... It's a floating feeling.. but i am simple like that. it doesn't take much to make me smile when seeing and listening to them.
I agree about not enough Edge shots. but too much B? NEVER.
:reject:

Not bad, but I expected much more. More effects, more variation and more reactions from the people seeing the sheets disappearing. It seemed like no one cared except for those in the little shop. I was expecting a little more "spacy" video, at least for the intro of the song and the pre-solo and solo parts. It gets monotonous and boring, but I still voted "It's okay" since that's what it is. Just expected a little more.

To end this comment in a cheesy, but clever way: Only love can leave such a mark, this video cannot. :sad:

Any opinion on the significance of the sheets ?
Two theories:

1. Could signify pilgrimage? When Muslims go on their pilgrimage (Hajj) all they wear are white sheets.

2. An unveiling of the old. Magnificent harkens back to their early work and perhaps it signifies that whats old is new again.

Two theories:

1. Could signify pilgrimage? When Muslims go on their pilgrimage (Hajj) all they wear are white sheets.

2. An unveiling of the old. Magnificent harkens back to their early work and perhaps it signifies that whats old is new again.

Interesting thoughts.

Or the unveiling of the old again, to expose ones' history, one's beginnings. which bono had mentioned. Africa being a place of beginnings.

I like the location and 'feel' of the video. The boys look good and it makes you want to get on a plane and visit Fez.

What I don't like is the over use of CG sheets flying over the city. They look fake and if this director can't see this he needs his eyes examined. They should have kept it simple and used the 'real' ones they had and only used them once to come off the buildings, and then moved on from that point. Maybe they could have kept them on the buildings and just shown them come off at the end of the video. The phrase 'less is more' applies here me thinks.

i don't think they should've started with the dancing right away... i think the dancing images should've waited til the white sheets started going wild... there's a lovely bit at about 2.30 min where the dancing guy in the red hoodie is just watching the sheets unfurling... so i think the dancing should've come in after really, visually speaking

i like it... it's simple and beautiful... and i like the Christo references too...

plus it's nice to see they got away from the Boots cliche of using models and dolly birds!

btw what's with the close-up of Bono's ass?? is it because it's magnificent? :D

I wasn't really crazy about it. I love the song though. It's probably my favorite off the album. I don't know...I pictured them performing the song on a mountaintop or something. Something with a Joshua Tree vibe. It just looks like the are rehearsing the song in the video. I imagined them performing in a open space. The song is epic. The video is not IMO. Luckily videos really mean less & less these days. I'm just glad "Magnificent" is finally getting a big push. It should have been the first single.

Well, there's nothing offensive about it, but it's rather unremarkable. Soundly edges out most HTDAAB music videos, and it was pleasant to watch, but I feel it was a bit of a missed opportunity. And it had a budget of $100, max. I mean, that sheet was pretty big, after all.

I glad they did a decent video after the visual overkill that was Boots. And I really like the Boots video. I think the video is simple and fits Magnificent very well.

It's good but I was more expecting the sheet thing when Edge's solo kicks in. Different way of looking at it, I guess. I know this isn't popular opinion but I don't like the radio edit. I hope they have a full length version at some point. Also...a video for the Fred Faulke remix :up:

I agree both about the sheets coming off during the solo.... that's what I was xpecting... and I also agree bout the single edit.

Luckily videos really mean less & less these days.

How do you figure that ? I would argue video's are just as important now than ever. People might not huddle round MTV any more but thats not the only place you can catch music video's.

From @U2
U2.com will have the video online, possibly for paid members only, new email now says 6:00 am PT Wednesday morning. Meanwhile, if you login to the members' site, there's a "Magnificent" music video right on the home page, but it looks almost like a "making of" video. No idea if it's the actual promo video or not.

I found it a bit underwhelming, but I think it's because I find the single edit so frustrating. The flow of the song is completely disrupted by the editing, and my favorite part is the second half of the guitar solo as it crescendos with Bono singing in the background. How could they cut that out? Ugh. Anyway, it's a decent video, but the edit of the song kind of ruins it for me.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Back
Top Bottom