Magnificent is this albums epic track... but a couple of small changes wouldve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tripoli

Acrobat
made it one of the best tracks theyve done so far.

1. Bono shouldnt open his mouth until the first verse starts at 1:16, let the suspense of the intro build and let the music breathe. Cut the 2 Magnificents and the uh oh that shows up before the first verse, give me a chance to anticipate it.

2. Take out the melody that starts at 29-45 that isnt a guitar. wi wi woom woom wiwi wiwi woom woom. It takes away from the song and from U2. That rapid fire drum intro is all it needed. The background swirls and etc are cool though. Also could do without the wi wi wim after the first magnificent and whenever it shows up later. take that instrument/keyboard out of the mix altogether.

3. Edges solo couldve been longer on the second pattern and gone up a couple octaves at the end of it. Wouldve been great coupled with that dirty distorted bass tone that stops after the first 30 seconds of the intro. But maybe this time the basstone is one long sustained note instead of the shorter ones with the four second gap in the intro. Also, a rapid fire drum part wouldve fit nicely at the end of that solo with Bono finally then singing those oh's over it and blasting into the final chorus @ 4:27

4. Save the oooh oouhoh that comes before the first chorus and second chorus and just sing only love. Let Larry shine without singing over those rapid fire bursts, that drum is plenty on its own. Less is more here.
Then bring it out right at the end of the(extended)solo before the final chorus. Its a powerful vocal melody but it loses its punch because its too prevalent. Bono used to be great at this, saving the fun for the end. used to have so much more taste.

#4 and #3 are kind of related

Please take a second to grasp what im saying and imagine how my changes would affect the song while listening to it. you might understand what im talking about and agree with the added suspense and anticipation it wouldve created. Im not going to argue with people who hastily say well you should write your own music then, this is about what im hearing in this song not my own songs. Have a little fun and imagination before you just brush it off.

The drumming and bass is great in this song. Definitely the best song on this album. Couldve been amazingly epic. I look forward to the live arrangement.

Disclaimer:
All thoughts and expressions here in this thread are my own opinions.

U2 should hire me for the next album :wink:

This song could have been pride in the name of love part 2 but I think they salvaged it by letting the song grow on its own. If you notice every track is let loose. No obvious endings, just a nice smooth intro with a nice smooth ending.

Yeah, MAYBE the point about the vocals before the verse has legs, but the electronics in the intro are GOLD. It's what saves it from being an 80's outtake

This song could have been pride in the name of love part 2 but I think they salvaged it by letting the song grow on its own. If you notice every track is let loose. No obvious endings, just a nice smooth intro with a nice smooth ending.

thats funny, Pride was what I had in mind. not just because of how it sounds but because it wouldve done for nloth what pride did for UF

Yeah, MAYBE the point about the vocals before the verse has legs, but the electronics in the intro are GOLD. It's what saves it from being an 80's outtake
the elctronics are fine and would keep it from being 80's but thats also funny because the classic 80's no nonsense vibe is what i had in mind. As i said, leave the ambient synths but remove that main one thats up front in the mix, it sounds like something that would be in coldplays album, not U2's. The edge part thats buried in the mix should be up front more and by itself.

The electronics and keyboard are indeed what makes the track more than an 80's redux.

There's a sort of anticipation built up after the first verse and chorus, when the keyboards come in in the background I get this glorious feeling that it's all come together.

The song is perfect as it is.
I can't say that about any U2 song from the last 10 years.

I hate it when people decide they know how to substitute snippets of songs. If you can't build it from the ground up, don't try and knock the finished product down. I can say I don't like songs but I NEVER say how I could make it "better" in parts. A song is more than the sum of its parts.

the elctronics are fine and would keep it from being 80's but thats also funny because the classic 80's no nonsense vibe is what i had in mind. As i said, leave the ambient synths but remove that main one thats up front in the mix, it sounds like something that would be in coldplays album, not U2's. The edge part thats buried in the mix should be up front more and by itself.

The shimmering synth sound? You think that’s Coldplay? Please don’t tell me you are talking about that shimmering synth sound, and please, please, please don’t tell me you think that reminds you of Coldplay. Go check out this band called U2. They released an album in 1993 called Zooropa. Give a track called ‘Lemon’ a blast. Oh! There it is.

There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism, and I think the OP is right on the money with Magnificent. Epic, but could have been the band's best I think with some changes.

Moment of Surrender is the epic song.
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight is the catchiest song.
Cedars of Lebanon is the political song.
Fez – Being Born is the weirdo song.
Stand Up Comedy is the pretentious song.
Get On Your Boots is the filler song.
No Line on the Horizon is the replaceable song.
Breathe is the grower song.
Magnificent is most ''U2 sounding'' song.
Unknown Caller is the anthem song.
White as Snow is the underrated song.

I think the intro is perfect for Magnificent, maybe Bono could of not said anything but the electronics are just awesome

well im not really concerned with the synth as much as bono's choices

and im sticking to my guns about the solo

:up:

One change I would make is bringing the bongo-sounding percussion up in the mix. It's one of my favorite elements of the track and should be louder!:madwife::sexywink:

Magnificent is perfect, one of U2's best songs.

I wish we could just enjoy the fact that they've made such a great tune without starting to pick it apart, analyse it and finally find something that doesn't fit.

I see the album as a whole, it has a great flow, I don't want to go around nitpicking songs.

Seriously, you're spoiling it for yourself.

Magnificent is one of the most passionate tunes I've heard in a long time. It will be a U2 classic.

Why is Fez the weirdo song? That is one of the best on the album in my opinion - it's got an early U2 vibe about it that I can't quite put my finger on - simply magnificent if you pardon the pun:wink:

You're like the guy who says, "One" is the big single from AB--but I have a few small changes--yeah sure. Whatever.
MOS and UC are better anyway. Neeeeeeeext.

Last edited:
i love all the songs but Magnificent is my favorite. to me, it's the reincarnation of Where The Streets Have No Name. :cute:

I COMPLETELY disagree that Magnificent is this album's epic track. Moment of Surrender is the epic track. Magnificent is the track that everyone loves now but will come back down to reality after the initial buzz goes away.

Maybe Edge's guitar could have been brought to the forefront a bit more in the verses, but it still sounds fine to me.

I think Bono's vocal could have been more powerful in the chorus. Someone else on this site, in another thread, mentioned how he seems to restrain himself a bit, doesn't go full pelt. He threatens to but then just doesn't quite deliver the full force of his voice, but I think this could be intentional, playing on people's expectations that this would just be a typical U2 song with soaring vocals.

In some ways in reminds me of When I Look At The World from ATYCLB, which could have been a really good song but I thought Bono's vocals were lacking in that song, no vibrancy, power or force to it, a bit lacklustre. I wouldn't say Magnificent is anywhere near that, but that's the only minor thing I find a bit disappointing and it's still the best song on the album.

Why is Fez the weirdo song? That is one of the best on the album in my opinion - it's got an early U2 vibe about it that I can't quite put my finger on - simply magnificent if you pardon the pun:wink:
I meant 'weird' as in the one most casual fans would probably complain about.

Magnificent has already got up there with my favourite U2 songs, I don't want any change at the moment, I find it perfect as it is. I prefer enjoying the music without any critical hat ( you know De Bono's terminology) for a while.
I understand what you say, but I think that would make the song sound like UF era and a bit old fashion, but that's me.

Back
Top Bottom