Magnificent & Unknown Caller in "Raw" form

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wonder if the Magnificent (Moroccan Version) will end up on iTunes one day as part of a "The MORE Complete U2" package. I remember getting the Miracle Drug and SYCMIOYO original mixes and quite liking them.

I don't suppose the Magnificent we heard in the video was ever properly recorded, but there's bound to be an alternate mix of it sitting around somewhere...perhaps on Eno's U2 vault on his laptop!! :drool:

Original Mixes of MD & Sometimes? Care 2 elaborate?

Original Mixes of MD & Sometimes? Care 2 elaborate?

I think they mean Yahweh not MD. Sometimes/Yahweh/All because of you/vertigo were all offered in a raw/alternate version on the Complete U2 package from iTunes. They were interesting but the Album cuts were the right choices in all instances.

'Cheesy' is such an unimaginative, lazy word to use to criticise music. Care to express what you don't like about the chorus in more original, descriptive terms?

I have to say, I agree with Roy.

I love the intro and verses to this song. The lyrics to the verses are thought-provoking and interesting (...ie. the exact oposite to Magnificent). However, the 'chorus' parts are just plain ridiculous. They are just a ramble of commands which mean NOTHING, and with it, sound STUPID and just don't fit with the song at all. I mean come on, "password, you enter here. You know your name so punch it in"?

They could have been saying 'The backspace... Is... On... The second row. The space bar... is.... The long key' And it would make no difference what so ever to the flow or the meaning of the song.

In my opinion, the production in this song lets it down severely. It does nothing to make me feel the emotions that the character should be experiencing: despair, confusion and fear. When I listen to the song, I don't feel sorry for him, I don't pity him, I don't understand his plight. And that's what turns this song into something that plays in the background rather than something I listen to.

The 'voices', and in particular the content of what they are chanting, lack any form of emotion, and as a result just are NOISE.

A very interesting opportunity ruined in my opinion.

I think they mean Yahweh not MD. Sometimes/Yahweh/All because of you/vertigo were all offered in a raw/alternate version on the Complete U2 package from iTunes. They were interesting but the Album cuts were the right choices in all instances.

Yup, my bad. Sometimes the individual tracks on HTDAAB seem to blur together...:hmm:

I have to say, I agree with Roy.

I love the intro and verses to this song. The lyrics to the verses are thought-provoking and interesting (...ie. the exact oposite to Magnificent). However, the 'chorus' parts are just plain ridiculous. They are just a ramble of commands which mean NOTHING, and with it, sound STUPID and just don't fit with the song at all. I mean come on, "password, you enter here. You know your name so punch it in"?

They could have been saying 'The backspace... Is... On... The second row. The space bar... is.... The long key' And it would make no difference what so ever to the flow or the meaning of the song.

In my opinion, the production in this song lets it down severely. It does nothing to make me feel the emotions that the character should be experiencing: despair, confusion and fear. When I listen to the song, I don't feel sorry for him, I don't pity him, I don't understand his plight. And that's what turns this song into something that plays in the background rather than something I listen to.

The 'voices', and in particular the content of what they are chanting, lack any form of emotion, and as a result just are NOISE.

A very interesting opportunity ruined in my opinion.

I so disagree with you on this. I think you're making the mistake of getting so hung up on the "computer lingo" aspect of the lyrics that you might be missing the fact that there is a whole other layer in there. I'm amazed at how bloody clever Bono has been to weave an intensely emotional sentiment within language which also gives context to this emotion, the despair of being lost in a world of technological progress. Do you really think that Bono would put out lyrics in such a musically stunning song which mean "NOTHING"? I mean the one example you single out as being "STUPID" is for me really fantastic - Here's how I interpret what is being said to the character in the song by "god" or whatever...

Password - You - Enter here - Right now

What do you need to get over this moment of despair? What is the password, the magical thing which will make everything better and let you move on? Answer, nothing - only you. Only to be and to get by, to realize your worth and get on with things immediately instead of letting these depressing (suicidal?) thoughts get the better of you...

You know your name so punch it in

Just a re-statement of the above. All you need is yourself, there's no external factors that are going to save you. Knowing ones self leads to inner strength so "punch it in" ie. believe in yourself and move on.

The rest of the chorus can be similarly interpreted. Unknown Caller is simply a much cleverer, less obvious version of Stuck In a Moment in my opinion and it's by far my favourite song on the album. It does strike me that maybe you have to know the feeling of being pretty low to properly "get" the song so I suppose I can understand why some people just arent feeling it or are having trouble penetrating beyond the surface of the lyric.

I so disagree with you on this. I think you're making the mistake of getting so hung up on the "computer lingo" aspect of the lyrics that you might be missing the fact that there is a whole other layer in there. I'm amazed at how bloody clever Bono has been to weave an intensely emotional sentiment within language which also gives context to this emotion, the despair of being lost in a world of technological progress. Do you really think that Bono would put out lyrics in such a musically stunning song which mean "NOTHING"? I mean the one example you single out as being "STUPID" is for me really fantastic - Here's how I interpret what is being said to the character in the song by "god" or whatever...

Password - You - Enter here - Right now

What do you need to get over this moment of despair? What is the password, the magical thing which will make everything better and let you move on? Answer, nothing - only you. Only to be and to get by, to realize your worth and get on with things immediately instead of letting these depressing (suicidal?) thoughts get the better of you...

Just a re-statement of the above. All you need is yourself, there's no external factors that are going to save you. Knowing ones self leads to inner strength so "punch it in" ie. believe in yourself and move on.

The rest of the chorus can be similarly interpreted. Unknown Caller is simply a much cleverer, less obvious version of Stuck In a Moment in my opinion and it's by far my favourite song on the album. It does strike me that maybe you have to know the feeling of being pretty low to properly "get" the song so I suppose I can understand why some people just arent feeling it or are having trouble penetrating beyond the surface of the lyric.

I do like your interpretation, and i understand how you can think that bono has been extremely clever with the lyrics - but i really don't think he has. You'll find that the cleverness has not come from him - but from YOU.

For example imagine if 'my' version of that line had been used in the song:

"The backspace is on the second row" You might have interpreted it as meaning that you always get a second chance to correct the mistakes in your life. "The spacebar is the longest key" - An example of where the most importance is given to something which infact has the least substance.

Now, that doesn't make me genius, or clever. It just means that I threw a couple of random phrases together - about a computer keyboard, and crossed my fingers that the listener came up with a good interpretation.

You also say that maybe it is easier to connect with this song if you've experienced a similar situation yourself. You may be right, but that's the exact problem I have with it. For me, a very important aspect of art is to allow you to feel or see things that you wouldn't necessarily get to, and (for me) he fails on this occasion.

Don't get me wrong - i actually quite like it for what it is (and as bad as i think the chants are, I still prefer them to the just plain naffness of the verses of magnificent) I just feel they could have done it so much better.

"The backspace is on the second row" You might have interpreted it as meaning that you always get a second chance to correct the mistakes in your life. "The spacebar is the longest key" - An example of where the most importance is given to something which infact has the least substance.

Now, that doesn't make me genius, or clever. It just means that I threw a couple of random phrases together - about a computer keyboard, and crossed my fingers that the listener came up with a good interpretation

Interesting comeback but I think you are making a bit of a stretch here! I guess we'll have to agree to disagree... :hmm:

'Cheesy' is such an unimaginative, lazy word to use to criticise music. Care to express what you don't like about the chorus in more original, descriptive terms?

The song seems to be trying to be epic and highly spiritual, but phrases like "Force quit, move to trash" and "Restart and reboot yourself" remind me of a call to Microsoft customer assistance. It's like the melted butter on toast lyric from Winter. What if they sang about upgrading their RAM in Magnificent?

The song seems to be trying to be epic and highly spiritual, but phrases like "Force quit, move to trash" and "Restart and reboot yourself" remind me of a call to Microsoft customer assistance. It's like the melted butter on toast lyric from Winter. What if they sang about upgrading their RAM in Magnificent?

that would make it a true concept album. :drool: :wink:

I do like your interpretation, and i understand how you can think that bono has been extremely clever with the lyrics - but i really don't think he has. You'll find that the cleverness has not come from him - but from YOU.

Are you kidding? The interpretation Mr BTH gave is the one I have also, it's not too much of a stretch. There isn't much else the words could mean. ie, if you know nothing but what your name is, who you are, you're good to go.

But lines: Force quit and move to trash
and Restart and reboot yourself

are lame, I'll admit. The first one I think was an attempt to be amusing and the second one is redundant. I guess 'forgive' instead of 'reboot' was too religious?

Are you kidding? The interpretation Mr BTH gave is the one I have also, it's not too much of a stretch. There isn't much else the words could mean. ie, if you know nothing but what your name is, who you are, you're good to go.

But lines: Force quit and move to trash
and Restart and reboot yourself

are lame, I'll admit. The first one I think was an attempt to be amusing and the second one is redundant. I guess 'forgive' instead of 'reboot' was too religious?

Im with you on this....I wish they could have been a little more direct with the lines.

I so disagree with you on this. I think you're making the mistake of getting so hung up on the "computer lingo" aspect of the lyrics that you might be missing the fact that there is a whole other layer in there. I'm amazed at how bloody clever Bono has been to weave an intensely emotional sentiment within language which also gives context to this emotion, the despair of being lost in a world of technological progress. Do you really think that Bono would put out lyrics in such a musically stunning song which mean "NOTHING"?

I'm not sure I've ever posted in this forum, but I just had to step in and totally agree with Mr BTH's assessment of this song.

Just like most of Bono's lyrics, this wasn't written to be cool or as "a message to the young people" ;) Bono, for everything he is, and everything he is not, is a great communicator. He always has a message to share and he's going to use the best metaphors and descriptors he knows to do that.

This song spoke to me immediately, and in full disclosure, I've been in love with it since the beach tapes. But it's not just addressing those with addiction problems. People can be lost in any number of ways; I know, because I've been one of them.

You can lose yourself easily -- and what you think constitutes your life -- through job loss, loss of a spouse/lover, loss of financial/professional status, changed relationship to your family, and your faith, among other things.

If this song had come out with such direct faith-based words as those in the video clip, I might have been turned off. But I spend most of my day (and evening, sadly) at a computer. That's what I relate to. I could take those simple commands and relate them to steps I need to take in my own life to regain "who I am" and realize that I'm not really lost. I've just been overcomplicating the simple activities I personally need to do to make my life meaningful to me.

Maybe I could've saved a year's worth of therapy had this song come out 12 months earlier. :wink:

Aside: I also think Beautiful Day with its message of "you've lost everything but never felt better" would be a natural followup in a setlist. :up:

Last edited:

Now, that doesn't make me genius, or clever. It just means that I threw a couple of random phrases together -

I dunno.. your choice of keys didn't seem as random as you think. You went with 'backspace' an 'spacebar' for some reason, rather than 'tab' or 'scroll lock', which might have been more of a challenge. :) Subconsciously, you already had a lot of meaning attached to them, which you later gathered as a decent translation. Still, I think there's a lot more meaning to UC's techno-lyrics than just what the reader imparts.

UC 'too-clever' lyrics, at least the techno-speak ones, are actually few and far between, and I always wondered why people singled them out so much. They're definitely a new way of talking about the world, and I can see them being a little jarring to folks who haven't yet become overly-familiar with the slang. I can also see some of us who are immersed in that world kinda shaking our heads at Bono's attempt to fuse formerly non-musical imagery with U2's music.

But hey, there was Kraftwerk, all those years ago, setting the stage for this type of fusion of music and machinery:

Pocket Calculator

If you accept the premise of the song as being the story of a lost soul wandering around in a suicidal haze, and suddenly his phone - in this case an iPhone I suppose - starts sending him motivational messages (and I admit, this is a stretch), then the computer-speak makes perfect sense.

Force quit and move to trash
Restart and re-boot yourself
Password, you, enter here, right now

There you go , only four lines.

And interestingly enough, when you clip them out to form their own verse, they're surprisingly coherent.

Force quit, move to trash: Abandonment and surrender, the theme of the album. Your life's project, your current path, the document you have open, maybe the suicide not that you've already half-penned - you can throw it all away if it's not working for you, if it's brought you to this point in your life. Don't even exit gracefully, just get out and junk the program that has you stuck.

Or, from the Mac Tips site:

Force Quit is used when you cannot quit a program using the
regular quit. You can Force Quit by pressing Command-Option
-Q-Esc.

Note: This isn't very good for the program that you force quit
on, but it is the best choice if you can't quit any other way

This gives us the answer posed by SIAMYCGOO: Well, how do I get un-stuck?

Restart and re-boot yourself: Now that you've discarded the buggy program(ming) that had you mired down, stuck in a moment, you're free to start fresh. Not only can you refresh your mind and try again, you can reboot yourself.

'Booting' a system has always been a reference to 'bootstrapping', which is a metaphor for a self-sustaining process that proceeds without external help.
'Pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps."

In computer terms, bootstrapping is the process by which a very simple program, embedded into the hardware of the computer, becomes active and initiates a chain of other program calls that eventually lead to the entire operating system being active and turned over to user control.

The idea here is that we, as humans, have a hard-wired core that pushes us to survive. You can throw away everything, turn off the power, and even then, you know at your core that you can still keep going and build yourself back up to the person you know you are, or can become. Maybe you just got off track the first time around because of some bad programming.

Password, you, enter here, right now: So when the system is purged of its malware, of whatever malicious programming that had it stuck, it is rebooted and turned over to it's rightful owner.

You.

But you're greeted with a login screen. It's not just anyone's life, it's yours and only you can log in.

I like the idea other posters have expressed, where they hear this line as: Password: you.

This goes back to the bootstrapping idea, where you're the only one responsible for getting your life back on track, and for getting yourself back into that life once you're presented with the opportunity. You're not just entering the password, you *are* the code that activates your life.

There was nothing wrong with you, it was just the crap that you quit and trashed and are now ready to proceed without. It's a clean slate, something that we think can only happen once, when we are born, but this song is saying that you can get a second crack at life.

Password: you.
You enter here, right now.

You know your name so punch it in:

In a complete tangent, I'm reminded here of an old episode of Family Ties, where Alex (played by Michael J. Fox) is going through a horrible personal crisis after the death of his friend, Greg. He's so distraught, he ends up in a psychiatrist's office, trying to find the meaning in his life that seems to have vanished along with his friend's life. He breaks down, questioning and revisiting his whole history, grasping for meaning and finding nothing.

Until finally, the doctor gets him to the point where he asks if Alex believes in any power greater than himself. Surprisingly, for a guy who only believes in money and facts and concrete things, Alex discovered he does have some faith, deep down at his core.

The episode ends like so:

ALEX: Uh, Greg's dead, and I'm alive. And I can't change
that. But I can keep his memory alive. I can take
his sense of humor, and his energy, and his warmth,
and I can make them my own. I can be the best Alex
Keaton I can be, and I can use the gifts that I've
been given. And I can take time to appreciate the
beauty in this life. And I can, I can be gentle. And
I can be forgiving and thoughtful. And I can make a
lot of money. Because, well I'm sure God wants me to,
because if He didn't, He wouldn't have made me so
smart. I wanna, I wanna, I wanna talk a little bit
more, ah, do we still have time?

PSYCHIATRIST: Yeah, sure, sit down.
ALEX: Alright. I got so much in my head now, I don't know where to start.
PSYCHIATRIST: Start from the beginning.
ALEX: ...My name is Alex Keaton.

..from "My Name is Alex"

You know your name, you know who you are, you *are* who you are, and that's the perfect place to start. The only place to start again.

I look at Unknown Caller as the sequel to Stuck in a Moment. I see it as Bono not only imagining talking Michael Hutchence down, but also putting himself in Michael's place, and wondering what it would take to bring himself back from the brink. Because Bono's now the main character, he's looking for a solution, not just saying , "You are such a fool".

Because this is Bono, a die-hard Mac-user, he uses his iPhone, or whatever device he's using, as a metaphor for a link to something greater than himself. It was lost, that link, but in his most desperate moment, it becomes active again.

The use of the phone, or computer, is smart because not everyone has the same connection to God that Bono does. For some, it's a general faith in something greater than themselves. For some it's faith in others, their family and friends, which our portable electronics now allow us to keep close nomatter where we are. For some it's using the 'net to connect to the world. For others, that phone is just a link to a support line, manned by faceless but compassionate strangers.

When we lose that connection, we can be lost, left on our own, unless we know we have that kernel of self to keep us going.

Nomatter the metaphor, that piece of technology doesn't solve your problems, it just directs you how to solve them yourself. God helps those who help themselves. We've got to stand up straight, carry our own weight. And so on.

That's why the metaphor works, and will probably work even better in a few years, when we're so familiar with this jargon that it sounds natural in a song.

Last edited:
I dunno.. your choice of keys didn't seem as random as you think. You went with 'backspace' an 'spacebar' for some reason, rather than 'tab' or 'scroll lock', which might have been more of a challenge. :) Subconsciously, you already had a lot of meaning attached to them, which you later gathered as a decent translation. Still, I think there's a lot more meaning to UC's techno-lyrics than just what the reader imparts.

UC 'too-clever' lyrics, at least the techno-speak ones, are actually few and far between, and I always wondered why people singled them out so much. They're definitely a new way of talking about the world, and I can see them being a little jarring to folks who haven't yet become overly-familiar with the slang. I can also see some of us who are immersed in that world kinda shaking our heads at Bono's attempt to fuse formerly non-musical imagery with U2's music.

But hey, there was Kraftwerk, all those years ago, setting the stage for this type of fusion of music and machinery:

Pocket Calculator

If you accept the premise of the song as being the story of a lost soul wandering around in a suicidal haze, and suddenly his phone - in this case an iPhone I suppose - starts sending him motivational messages (and I admit, this is a stretch), then the computer-speak makes perfect sense.

Force quit and move to trash
Restart and re-boot yourself
Password, you, enter here, right now

There you go , only four lines.

And interestingly enough, when you clip them out to form their own verse, they're surprisingly coherent.

Force quit, move to trash: Abandonment and surrender, the theme of the album. Your life's project, your current path, the document you have open, maybe the suicide not that you've already half-penned - you can throw it all away if it's not working for you, if it's brought you to this point in your life. Don't even exit gracefully, just get out and junk the program that has you stuck.

Or, from the Mac Tips site:

Force Quit is used when you cannot quit a program using the
regular quit. You can Force Quit by pressing Command-Option
-Q-Esc.

Note: This isn't very good for the program that you force quit
on, but it is the best choice if you can't quit any other way

This gives us the answer posed by SIAMYCGOO: Well, how do I get un-stuck?

Restart and re-boot yourself: Now that you've discarded the buggy program(ming) that had you mired down, stuck in a moment, you're free to start fresh. Not only can you refresh your mind and try again, you can reboot yourself.

'Booting' a system has always been a reference to 'bootstrapping', which is a metaphor for a self-sustaining process that proceeds without external help.
'Pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps."

In computer terms, bootstrapping is the process by which a very simple program, embedded into the hardware of the computer, becomes active and initiates a chain of other program calls that eventually lead to the entire operating system being active and turned over to user control.

The idea here is that we, as humans, have a hard-wired core that pushes us to survive. You can throw away everything, turn off the power, and even then, you know at your core that you can still keep going and build yourself back up to the person you know you are, or can become. Maybe you just got off track the first time around because of some bad programming.

Password, you, enter here, right now: So when the system is purged of its malware, of whatever malicious programming that had it stuck, it is rebooted and turned over to it's rightful owner.

You.

But you're greeted with a login screen. It's not just anyone's life, it's yours and only you can log in.

I like the idea other posters have expressed, where they hear this line as: Password: you.

This goes back to the bootstrapping idea, where you're the only one responsible for getting your life back on track, and for getting yourself back into that life once you're presented with the opportunity. You're not just entering the password, you *are* the code that activates your life.

There was nothing wrong with you, it was just the crap that you quit and trashed and are now ready to proceed without. It's a clean slate, something that we think can only happen once, when we are born, but this song is saying that you can get a second crack at life.

Password: you.
You enter here, right now.

You know your name so punch it in:

In a complete tangent, I'm reminded here of an old episode of Family Ties, where Alex (played by Michael J. Fox) is going through a horrible personal crisis after the death of his friend, Greg. He's so distraught, he ends up in a psychiatrist's office, trying to find the meaning in his life that seems to have vanished along with his friend's life. He breaks down, questioning and revisiting his whole history, grasping for meaning and finding nothing.

Until finally, the doctor gets him to the point where he asks if Alex believes in any power greater than himself. Surprisingly, for a guy who only believes in money and facts and concrete things, Alex discovered he does have some faith, deep down at his core.

The episode ends like so:

ALEX: Uh, Greg's dead, and I'm alive. And I can't change
that. But I can keep his memory alive. I can take
his sense of humor, and his energy, and his warmth,
and I can make them my own. I can be the best Alex
Keaton I can be, and I can use the gifts that I've
been given. And I can take time to appreciate the
beauty in this life. And I can, I can be gentle. And
I can be forgiving and thoughtful. And I can make a
lot of money. Because, well I'm sure God wants me to,
because if He didn't, He wouldn't have made me so
smart. I wanna, I wanna, I wanna talk a little bit
more, ah, do we still have time?

PSYCHIATRIST: Yeah, sure, sit down.
ALEX: Alright. I got so much in my head now, I don't know where to start.
PSYCHIATRIST: Start from the beginning.
ALEX: ...My name is Alex Keaton.

..from "My Name is Alex"

You know your name, you know who you are, you *are* who you are, and that's the perfect place to start. The only place to start again.

I look at Unknown Caller as the sequel to Stuck in a Moment. I see it as Bono not only imagining talking Michael Hutchence down, but also putting himself in Michael's place, and wondering what it would take to bring himself back from the brink. Because Bono's now the main character, he's looking for a solution, not just saying , "You are such a fool".

Because this is Bono, a die-hard Mac-user, he uses his iPhone, or whatever device he's using, as a metaphor for a link to something greater than himself. It was lost, that link, but in his most desperate moment, it becomes active again.

The use of the phone, or computer, is smart because not everyone has the same connection to God that Bono does. For some, it's a general faith in something greater than themselves. For some it's faith in others, their family and friends, which our portable electronics now allow us to keep close nomatter where we are. For some it's using the 'net to connect to the world. For others, that phone is just a link to a support line, manned by faceless but compassionate strangers.

When we lose that connection, we can be lost, left on our own, unless we know we have that kernel of self to keep us going.

Nomatter the metaphor, that piece of technology doesn't solve your problems, it just directs you how to solve them yourself. God helps those who help themselves. We've got to stand up straight, carry our own weight. And so on.

That's why the metaphor works, and will probably work even better in a few years, when we're so familiar with this jargon that it sounds natural in a song.

Great :up:

I'm only just hearing this now... why the hell did they leave the Moroccan musicians out of the finished version of Magnificent? If nothing else, it would have given the song some badly needed character, rather than just, for me, ending up as frankly another throwaway 00's song. The final result just makes it seem like they were too precious with the product.

I'm only just hearing this now... why the hell did they leave the Moroccan musicians out of the finished version of Magnificent? If nothing else, it would have given the song some badly needed character, rather than just, for me, ending up as frankly another throwaway 00's song. The final result just makes it seem like they were too precious with the product.

I agree with 'tis post

Those "Unkown Caller" lyrics were really great, although I like what I heard in the finished product.

UC is one u2's finest moments. this record is one of their finest moments....and no, i didn't say that about HTDAAB after it came out :drool:

great post btw Montrosse

I've never seen this vid! It's excellent. I agree with earlier posts. The Moroccan musicians on "Magnificent" were very interesting indeed. The early lyrics on UC also
were cool!
My only speculation as to why Bono changed them to a tech theme is maybe
he didn't want to be seen as overtly preaching about God as being the caller.

Back
Top Bottom