Lucifer's Hands - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really like the song and that its origins started with Stingray.... I enjoy that LWTSH was a the parent of a few songs on AB, it's kind of a neat way to write in my opinion.

I enjoy that LWTSH was a the parent of a few songs on AB
It still amazes me that some people (not you btw) complain about Boots being Vertigo rewrite and yet don't mind that about 3 songs on 1 album share a nearly identical guitar part.

May I ask which ones?

Not sure exactly what is being referred to, but it is common knowledge that LWTSH spawned at least the fly, and ultraviolet. More tenuous is the link to wake up dead man. Also Acrobat and Love is Blindness have the same guitar / synth melody. Still think Edge is lazy now?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

i think it is more about structure of the song and song progression than similiarity of the guitar part. Because all those songs sound completly different.

I wouldn´t dare to even compare Lovetown or Achtung Baby Edge with his today creative inspiration. It is light years apart. Sure, he is now more sophisticated songwriter. But he hardly come up with something interesting regarding his guitar playing these days (or rather 15 years).

i think it is more about structure of the song and song progression than similiarity of the guitar part. Because all those songs sound completly different.

I wouldn´t dare to even compare Lovetown or Achtung Baby Edge with his today creative inspiration. It is light years apart. Sure, he is now more sophisticated songwriter. But he hardly come up with something interesting regarding his guitar playing these days (or rather 15 years).

Nothing interesting for 15 years? Do you read before you type? Or do you select negative phrases in the same way South Park theorised Family Guy is written (i.e. Manatees swimming in your head pick random idea balls and send them down the chute through your fingers and onto our screens)?

I think he did amazing solo on Unknown Caller on last record, Vertigo was cool, Original was decent. On ATYCLB pretty much nothing except maybe New York... I can´t think of anything more, can you?

I think he did amazing solo on Unknown Caller on last record, Vertigo was cool, Original was decent. On ATYCLB pretty much nothing except maybe New York... I can´t think of anything more, can you?

It's funny, I actually disagree with you on Unknown Caller. That is one of the most by the numbers moments from U2 I can point to. I think of things like the new tones Edge has been playing with on songs like NLOTH and Cedars of Lebanon as more 'innovative'. Same with SLABT. The cock rock of SUC does nothing for me, but if the benchmark is 'innovation' I'd make you a list of things that were either very new for U2 or very new for music:

Elevation (the intro/main riff)
Beautiful Day (the shimmer that disappeared in the live versions after the elevation tour)
The cleaner tones of songs like Kite, grace, when I look at the world - all new for U2.
Love and Peace was sonically wildly different.
Fast Cars - was that their first rock song that used an acoustic guitar heavily?
The Crystal Ballroom is a natural progression, and one where the solo fits perfectly. A song about Bono's parents going on dates in the 60s and 70s in a place like that has a 70s disco inspired solo. Shock me.

I think you mistake two things:

1. You mistake 'innovation' for 'solos'
2. You mistake 'good' for 'what you like'

The reasonable persons response to both of these things is not 'THIS IS THE WORST GUITAR SOLO EVAAH!!!!'

I like Elevation tremolo solo, the intro is also good
BD I only appreaciate the bit before middle8 starts, sounds fantastic
Kite and grace sounds pretty standard to me
When I look I hear mostly distorted guitars in the background with some acoustics
Love and Peace...nothing remarkable
Ballroom - I like the idea of the song and putting a solo at the end, but i really think it is incredibly plain

After giving this song several listens I just cannot get into it. A poor B-side at best. I can't believe after 5 years in the studio that this is one of the two bonus tracks they give us?!?! Maybe they are close to done? Hope not, but you gotta wonder?

On ATYCLB pretty much nothing except maybe New York... I can´t think of anything more, can you?

I find the overall guitar work on Walk On to be some of his best ever. The end of that song is gorgeous and it is even more prominent live.

Love and Peace...nothing remarkable

It's a very "heavy" sound that is similar to ABOY and Vertigo but I really enjoy this song and I think the guitar sound is awesome, especially the solo at the end!

After giving this song several listens I just cannot get into it. A poor B-side at best. I can't believe after 5 years in the studio that this is one of the two bonus tracks they give us?!?! Maybe they are close to done? Hope not, but you gotta wonder?

It has its issues but overall it is a very solid song, I wouldn´t mind if it replaced Miracle or Cedarwood on the record.

This would have been the best opener for they album ever, it is not often U2 make such a good bombastic intro in a song. When the guitars kicks in it create one of their best moments...

This would have been the best opener for they album ever, it is not often U2 make such a good bombastic intro in a song. When the guitars kicks in it create one of their best moments...

It was a good opener! It was just killed being followed by Beautiful Day. :wink:

This one has grown on me the most. The bridge is pretty bad, but the music is very cool. It reminds me of a rockier version of side one of Bowie's Low, particularly the mental chord change that survived from Stingray.

It's not five years in the studio....remember the huge tour, Bono's back problem, etc.?

It seems like they got down to business with recording the last year, and been tinkering for two years at most.

After a bunch of listens I really dig this song. I liked Stingray alot which would put me in the right frame if mind for this tune. I like the melody and the vibe that is going on in the background.

....Also somehow brings me back to AB... like The Fly or Zoo Station, not sure why.

I like how this song is not so intrusive and blends in to every other song that you hear during the day

Heres a question:
Can people study to music by U2 as just background music? I find that classical music that I cant sing along to, or get the tune of; to be the only music I can have on as background music. Also, it is too hard to work to silence

Question 2: what is the right mood to listen to music by U2? A lot of people say they listen to a certain song because "it suits their mood", a lot of the time people listen to music they are "in an ambivalent mood". Can U2's music be played when people are in an ambivalent mood?

....Also somehow brings me back to AB... like The Fly or Zoo Station, not sure why.

Agree. There is a slight bit of distortion/effect on the vocal and it has that AB spirit. The opening guitar work also has that urgent gritty vibe like AB. LH could also have worked on Zooropa.

I like how this song is not so intrusive and blends in to every other song that you hear during the day

Heres a question:
Can people study to music by U2 as just background music? I find that classical music that I cant sing along to, or get the tune of; to be the only music I can have on as background music. Also, it is too hard to work to silence

Question 2: what is the right mood to listen to music by U2? A lot of people say they listen to a certain song because "it suits their mood", a lot of the time people listen to music they are "in an ambivalent mood". Can U2's music be played when people are in an ambivalent mood?

It's hard to be ambivalent toward U2's music. Regardless of your mood, there is something in their songs that makes things better, even if it's a moody piece. They get it and that spirit shines through and you feel it.

It's hard to be ambivalent toward U2's music. Regardless of your mood, there is something in their songs that makes things better, even if it's a moody piece. They get it and that spirit shines through and you feel it.

I tried to study to pop music (ie songs with lyrics), and yeh, bad idea!
Play something that you dont know (eg a pretentious 20 minute piano / orchestral piece), and something that wont offend the ears

Back
Top Bottom