Lucifer's Hands - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good to hear Stingray make it somewhere although I miss the "ping" type noise which was part of the live version. I have to say that alongside the rest of the album it does very much sound like a b side in terms of quality but it's great that we are getting t a couple of original songs in addition to the album rather than just remixes.

Anybody noticed in the production notes for lucifers hands,"claps by Bono,The edge and Lucifer himself, Gavin Friday." I like how Gavin comes after Lucifer!

Sent from my HTC One using U2 Interference mobile app

997DVA_Al_Pacino_025.jpg

I like the song, definatley a B side though. It is easy to see why it was not on the album. I feel the same about Crystal Ballroom. It is a decent B side, but I do not get the massive adoration for it on here and I can hear why it was not put on the album. Maybe it will grow on me more. :shrug:

This song will make a nice filler track on my SOI playlist. Not bad at all! Bridge is a bit wobly, but it's a solid filler track, ie All because of you and many others.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Growing on me a little bit. Musically I would have preferred something closer to Stingray Guitar-- that sounded unique and futuristic. The more stripped down version here sounds much more generic. I'm also not a huge fan of the vocal effects placed on bono's voice.

Very clear why this ended up as a b-side.

Anybody noticed in the production notes for lucifers hands,"claps by Bono,The edge and Lucifer himself, Gavin Friday." I like how Gavin comes after Lucifer!

Sent from my HTC One using U2 Interference mobile app

Lucifer = Danger Mouse ?

You guys, that statement is clearly saying that Gavin Friday is Lucifer Himself.

Otherwise it would read "claps by Bono, The Edge, Lucifer Himself, and Gavin Friday."

You guys, that statement is clearly saying that Gavin Friday is Lucifer Himself.

Otherwise it would read "claps by Bono, The Edge, Lucifer Himself, and Gavin Friday."

I take it as Lucifer is Edges other personality , hence Edge AND lucifer as if to say they are one person. Clearly that is what this is......I'm sorry, I'm just fanning the flames of something that is pretty clear. I'll stop now :)

Guys this clearly means the return of MacPhisto. Furthermore, Bono has sold his soul to Satan, this album is full of hints that this is true.
Track by track breakdown
LH: Obvious one, Bono is taking upon the role of Lucifer
The Miracle: "the voices will return". He's summoning demons.
Every Breaking Wave: He's clearly foreshadowing a massive tsunami in the near future.
California: At the beginning it sounds like "Santa Barbara". It's actually a demonic chant.
Song For Someone: This song is his love song for Lucifer himself
Iris: "free yourself to be yourself". This is about human sacrifice and advocation of slavery.
Volcano: represents Hell
Raised By Wolves: Romulus and Remus were raised by wolves, they founded Rome. Rome persecuted Christians
Cedarwood Road: Cherry Blossom tree is a satanic symbol.
Sleep Like A Baby: Obviously is about him abusing women
TIWYCRMN: "soldier soldier we've signed our lives away". He's sold himself to the army of the anti Christ.
The Troubles: "somebody stepped inside your soul". Clearly about demonic possession and witchcraft.
Crystal Ballroom: "ghosts of love". He's a ghost worshiper.
Invisible: There is nothing bad about this song.
This is basically 100% true, don't doubt a single word of it.

Guys this clearly means the return of MacPhisto. Furthermore, Bono has sold his soul to Satan, this album is full of hints that this is true.
Track by track breakdown
LH: Obvious one, Bono is taking upon the role of Lucifer
The Miracle: "the voices will return". He's summoning demons.
Every Breaking Wave: He's clearly foreshadowing a massive tsunami in the near future.
California: At the beginning it sounds like "Santa Barbara". It's actually a demonic chant.
Song For Someone: This song is his love song for Lucifer himself
Iris: "free yourself to be yourself". This is about human sacrifice and advocation of slavery.
Volcano: represents Hell
Raised By Wolves: Romulus and Remus were raised by wolves, they founded Rome. Rome persecuted Christians
Cedarwood Road: Cherry Blossom tree is a satanic symbol.
Sleep Like A Baby: Obviously is about him abusing women
TIWYCRMN: "soldier soldier we've signed our lives away". He's sold himself to the army of the anti Christ.
The Troubles: "somebody stepped inside your soul". Clearly about demonic possession and witchcraft.
Crystal Ballroom: "ghosts of love". He's a ghost worshiper.
Invisible: There is nothing bad about this song.
This is basically 100% true, don't doubt a single word of it.

Perfect post.

Nice post above.

I do think something is happening with U2.

I mean first the pyramid with the Apple guy, wow really?

Then basically a declaration of Independence.

You're no longer in control of me

I am...

I mean he is saying "I AM" you aren't in control of me. WOW. I AM is the name of God in the bible.

So this album struck me for the first time as an anti-Christian album. I wonder what others think.

But that last line of the song I think says powerful things.

I am...

I mean he is saying "I AM" you aren't in control of me. WOW. I AM is the name of God in the bible.

So this album struck me for the first time as an anti-Christian album. I wonder what others think.

Well that and they had Lucifer himself clap on this record.

Oh, and he lent Bono a necklace for the Helter Skelter performance on R&H.

I am...

Threechords, have you looked at it this way

Yes I can change the world

Bono can change the world, any of us can do things that can make the world a better place.

The poor breaking bread that’s made out of stone
The rich man won’t eat, he’s eating, alone
That’s easy
But I can’t change the world
In me.

While Bono can do things to make the world better, he can't make himself better. He knows he is still a mess inside, his soul is not made better by his own will/by his own hand.

You no longer got a hold on me,
I’m out of Lucifer’s hands
You’re no longer in control of me,
I am

Now he's telling that person he felt controlled by, or maybe Lucifer, or maybe Bono is telling himself that he is out of Lucifer's hands. Lucifer no longer has a hold on Bono. Lucifer is no longer in control. I am is Bono stating/claiming the name of God/Jesus/Holy Spirit/The Great I Am. As in I am is now in control of Bono.

That's how I interpret this. I'd be sad if you thought this was an anti Christian album because of this song.

And where is this pyramid with the Apple guy? Did you mean Bono and Tim Cook at the iPhone 6 launch and the ET like finger touch?

Threechords, have you looked at it this way

Bono can change the world, any of us can do things that can make the world a better place.

The poor breaking bread that’s made out of stone
The rich man won’t eat, he’s eating, alone
That’s easy
But I can’t change the world
In me.

While Bono can do things to make the world better, he can't make himself better. He knows he is still a mess inside, his soul is not made better by his own will/by his own hand.

I’m out of Lucifer’s hands
You’re no longer in control of me,
I am

Now he's telling that person he felt controlled by, or maybe Lucifer, or maybe Bono is telling himself that he is out of Lucifer's hands. Lucifer no longer has a hold on Bono. Lucifer is no longer in control. I am is Bono stating/claiming the name of God/Jesus/Holy Spirit/The Great I Am. As in I am is now in control of Bono.

That's how I interpret this. I'd be sad if you thought this was an anti Christian album because of this song.

And where is this pyramid with the Apple guy? Did you mean Bono and Tim Cook at the iPhone 6 launch and the ET like finger touch?

Or, you know, Bono could be saying that he himself is in control? That's generally what 'I am' means in this context.

Re anti-Christian - U2 are fairly anti-religion in general. They are spiritual people, but also don't blindly ignore the inherent evil in all religious institutions, hence SLABT.

Or, you know, Bono could be saying that he himself is in control? That's generally what 'I am' means in this context.

Re anti-Christian - U2 are fairly anti-religion in general. They are spiritual people, but also don't blindly ignore the inherent evil in all religious institutions, hence SLABT.

Indeed Bono could be saying that, but since the poster went with the lyrics as U2's embracing of Lucifer, I attempted to make the case for the embracing of Christ.

And, let's just do another shout out for this song. It is the first track for a reason! It would be great if they play this live and maybe add a bit more! I like TCB, but I like like LH!

Indeed Bono could be saying that, but since the poster went with the lyrics as U2's embracing of Lucifer, I attempted to make the case for the embracing of Christ.

And, let's just do another shout out for this song. It is the first track for a reason! It would be great if they play this live and maybe add a bit more! I like TCB, but I like like LH!

I don't think it's either. I think it's more about emancipation from some sort of overt control that uses the concept of Lucifer's Hands to symbolise that control. I think we sometimes over-emphasise the religiosity of U2's work.

Back
Top Bottom