Lucifer's Hands - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would this be one of their oldest re-hash songs? Stingray started life in 1984... Releasing 30 years later...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Would this be one of their oldest re-hash songs? Stingray started life in 1984... Releasing 30 years later...

It goes that far back? I had no idea... where would I find that?

It goes that far back? I had no idea... where would I find that?

There's no audio of it. Can't remember where the reference is, but I'm sure it was mentioned around the time of the remaster, and listing to leftovers from the UF sessions is what prompted them to finish 'Disappearing Act' (originally White City) and dig out Stingray for the tour.

This is torture can't find it

Google the words 'songs of innocence deluxe' and the first result is the torrent. Or, google u2uruguay twitter and it is like the third most recent post - it says 'songs of innocence:' and has a link. Click on that link.

This song has a ruggedness to it. Larry's drums have been awesome throughout. Huge step up from nloth in that department.

Definitely getting the Achtung Baby B side vibe y'all mentioned.
Never really absorbed Stinkray that much - didn't initially realize that's where it came from. So no disappointment for me there.

Cool guitar tones/part. And I really like where Bono sits in the mix.

For me, SOI sits well enough on its own, which makes this a really nice addition.
Great B side.

Woah.. yes I can change the world
Woah.. yes I can change the world
The fool? breaking breaking bread is made out of stone
The rich man wont eat he is eating alone
That's easy
I can't change the world in me

I'm going to assume the Rejoice lyrical similarities here are coincidental, but it still struck me really strongly.

Alright, got my first listen in for this. Love that Stingray is back, such a dirty riff. Unfortunately lost some of that amazing energy it had live but I love the chorus. The bridge feels a bit "lost" here but it works.

Awesome B-side.

Bono's Mom (Iris-Tomorrow)
Song about a location (Cali-Jerusalem)
Is That All?-Lucifer Hands lyrics
Song with a name (Iris-Gloria)
Songs about burning (Volcano-Fire)
Mentions trees (Cedarwood-October)
Both albums released in October
It's basically official. Songs Of Innocence is an October rewrite.

There's no audio of it. Can't remember where the reference is, but I'm sure it was mentioned around the time of the remaster, and listing to leftovers from the UF sessions is what prompted them to finish 'Disappearing Act' (originally White City) and dig out Stingray for the tour.

I remember this too. It's pretty neat.

Also, on first listen, I like this song better than most of Songs of Innocence.

My relationships with U2 songs always change when I start learning them on guitar and this is no different. Got through most of the main riffs today and it's been stuck in my head.

Song is held up by the Stingray riff but I really like what they did with the chorus, it's very punchy.

God, this song never takes off. Total bore. No surprise they left it off the album. The better tracks from SOI feel like Joshua Tree cuts compared to this nonsense.

I totally loved this song from the first listen and still do. I like it so much more than Chrystal Ballroom, which seems a bit unfinished and messy to me. Lucifer's Hands has a great groove. It's great to have that kind of rawness back.

B-side material for sure... Not that exciting as a song, but I like the sound of it. I'm mostly sad they got rid of the (keyboard? I dunno) parts that underlined the riff in the live version...

Not bad I guess, but not that great either.

This is terrible. Nobody needed a completed Stingray. Actually, nobody needed the original.

Apart from the people in here who said they like it?

I mean, pretty much every song ever written has someone that enjoys it. Not exactly witnessing overwhelming adoration for this one though.

I neither like or dislike this song. I'm completely in the middle on it.

I can't wait to hear the non-fans yelling about how U2 ripped off Sheryl Crow's "A Change Will Do You Good" with this song.

That said, I really like this, and I wish they could have kept this on Songs of Innocence.

Back
Top Bottom