LP15 - We're due for a break from the norm - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 01:36 PM   #81
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:45 AM
Mikal speaks for me.

whether he likes it or not.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:50 PM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
My take, and it really remains the same since the album came out, is that it's all about mindset.

I'm generally a glass half full kind of guy, and really, post NLOTH, I'm just so fucking grateful that my all time favorite band is still making music. On the flip side, I know that they'll never reach the heights of '84 - '97, which IMO is their peak. They haven't been there for a while, and that's fine. They're old.

SOI and SOE both have tracks that would poke its way into my top 25, and that's impressive considering their back catalog. "Little Things" is easily top 20. For a band pushing 60, bravo to them.

I understand why some are more critical. That's fine. I just choose to enjoy their music in its current shape and form because the alternative (band breaking up, members dying, etc) is much worse.
Throw in that crowd applause gif here.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:38 PM   #83
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgreg View Post
Throw in that crowd applause gif here.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
My take, and it really remains the same since the album came out, is that it's all about mindset.

I'm generally a glass half full kind of guy, and really, post NLOTH, I'm just so fucking grateful that my all time favorite band is still making music. On the flip side, I know that they'll never reach the heights of '84 - '97, which IMO is their peak. They haven't been there for a while, and that's fine. They're old.

SOI and SOE both have tracks that would poke its way into my top 25, and that's impressive considering their back catalog. "Little Things" is easily top 20. For a band pushing 60, bravo to them.

I understand why some are more critical. That's fine. I just choose to enjoy their music in its current shape and form because the alternative (band breaking up, members dying, etc) is much worse.

This. If you told me since post Vertigo Tour we would have gotten 3 new albums and 4 big tours (some being revolutionary) I would take that happily.

To have

NLOTH
MOS
EBW
Troubles
Reach Me
RFD
Little Things
Love is Bigger

out of all this is pretty solid for a band in their 60's. Scale wise what U2 is still doing (new music, tour) will never happen again for a rock band. Most of today's rock bands won't make it to their 40's.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:10 PM   #85
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

I am generally more inline with this line of thought... but if we can't discuss their faults, man, this place would turn into @u2... and nobody needs that noise.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:30 PM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
I'll take it.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
I am generally more inline with this line of thought... but if we can't discuss their faults, man, this place would turn into @u2... and nobody needs that noise.

Respect bro.

It helps that I haven’t soured on SOI/SOE at all. I think it’s a really strong era in general. I have major issues with NLOTH though.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:29 PM   #88
Babyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by The John Tree View Post
I've been missing the last few months, so help me out here:

Do we all hate SoE all of a sudden? Because I remember the reactions post-release were pretty overwhelmingly positive, and I still really like it.

Also - Bono's eroding voice? He sounds to be in much better (full) voice on this tour than in quite a while. The only thing that seems to have slipped is his falsetto, which is noticeably absent.
Agreed regarding Bono"s voice. His vocals on SOI and SOE and there respective tours sound pretty excellent to me?

Does anyone remember the weakness, raspiness and consistency issues on Popmart and the Elevation tour. All things considered and falsetto aside his voice now is miles better than it was 15 - 20 years ago.

And I still like SOE a lot and listen pretty much daily
Old 07-11-2018, 10:58 PM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Agreed regarding Bono"s voice. His vocals on SOI and SOE and there respective tours sound pretty excellent to me?

Does anyone remember the weakness, raspiness and consistency issues on Popmart and the Elevation tour. All things considered and falsetto aside his voice now is miles better than it was 15 - 20 years ago.

And I still like SOE a lot and listen pretty much daily
Agreed, I think Bono's voice has improved since the Elevation era. He did sound weaker back then.

I also still listen to SOE a lot and haven't gotten tired of it. Lately I don't have the patience for GOOYOW and AS, so I've been skipping them. The rest is solid gold.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:02 PM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonna Run 2 U View Post
It sounds like the band are trying to pass a creative kidney stone.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:04 AM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel D. View Post
Agreed, I think Bono's voice has improved since the Elevation era. He did sound weaker back then.

I also still listen to SOE a lot and haven't gotten tired of it. Lately I don't have the patience for GOOYOW and AS, so I've been skipping them. The rest is solid gold.
I feel the same about GOOYOW & AS. Enjoyed AS live but have a hard time listening to the studio. I just laugh to myself about GOOYOW. I do enjoy the chorus (the part that sounds like Beautiful Day) though.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:29 AM   #92
Blue Crack Distributor

Bono's voice sounds better because they're purposefully writing and performing songs that cater to his voice in it's current state.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #93
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopop View Post

out of all this is pretty solid for a band in their 60's.
They are only in their 50's.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #94
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:45 PM
I like SOE miles better than SOI. I'll put SOE on quite a bit when I'm chilling/cooking, or whatever calls for some tunes.

It's a good album that could have been great. Get Out is just trash, aside from Edge's backing vocals. Guitar is boring, solo is meh, and Larry's drumming isn't even needed.

My issues with U2 in this era are:

Bono's literal song writing. It just doesn't have the same umph, even if he was singing about nothing back in the 80's/90s, his voice and lyrics just felt like the final brush of a painting. The band created that landscape and he topped it off.

Bono's voice being so loud in the mix. We get it, Bono can sing like a bird. Doesn't mean he has to drown out his guitar player.

Speaking of guitar, Edge really hasn't produced anything great with this SOI/SOE. He was starting to lose it a bit with NLOTH, but there were some interesting textures in there. There is nothing Edgey about his playing anymore. Being the lead and rhythm guitarist meant he had to come up with some interesting sounds, especially since he isn't the most technical player around. I used to look forward to his contributions to a new U2 song/album the most. Now it's more a feeling of how many songs are going to have the Walk On / SFS playing?

My hope going forward is that Edge and Bono get rid of their Spiderman Show Tune style of music, get rid of this idea that now Edge has to sample other guitarists because you know hip hop does that sort of thing.....

and most of all, become a band again. This is the Bono and Edge band, with Larry and Adam as part time musicians. I remember an interview with Adam and they asked him about that bass part in The Blackout, and he said Edge came up with it.....I realize that Edge has probably come up with a lot of parts over the years.....but can we get Adam to at least try and make the coolest bass lines again?

Next album, U2 set aside a year in the studio to just play. Record it. Get Danny back, maybe even Brian as long as Wil.i.am or Tedder don't show up, and see what happens.

No more god damn HITS!!! Just make U2 music and I honestly believe they'll probably get that relevance they so want again.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #95
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonna Run 2 U View Post
To each their own and I know around here this will be an unpopular opinion but I still find Moment Of Surrender as one of the most unlistenable songs the band has ever done. It sounds like the band are trying to pass a creative kidney stone.
Agreed. I really just have never understood the love for this song from the band, many hardcores, critics, and Eno himself. I don't even find it unlistenable, just the reverence accorded it I find ludicrous. But again, to each their own. ( "Full disclosure": I stayed in the Riad El Yacout a few years go, too.)
Old 07-13-2018, 03:25 PM   #96
Blue Crack Distributor

Ryan Tedder should be banned from the nation of ireland
Old 07-13-2018, 05:34 PM   #97
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
At least we wouldn't have the awful trash that is Get Out, and I'd be willing to lose The Blackout over it.
Let's not go to far!
Old 07-13-2018, 05:45 PM   #98
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

LP15 - We're due for a break from the norm

Am I the only one who thinks the album version of Blackout blows?

That version they released ahead of the album seemed faster, more urgent and passionate. The album version feels like the band Train trying to play “Master of Puppets” or something.

Keep in mind, I like the song. It slays live, or at least it would if you could see the band. And that version from last August kicked ass. I was disappointed with what was On SOE.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:48 PM   #99
Blue Crack Distributor

Yea, I think so.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:52 AM   #100
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:45 AM
I do prefer the crashing sound of the drums after the verse lines in the original live version; on the studio take the focus is more on the bass.

There's definitely a loss of energy on the album, but it still creates a great groove.

Closed Thread