LP 13 Future Tour Ideas n Thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm yes, this. I count myself lucky to have been near the rail when they did a short version of this in Kansas City of all places. It was very well done and I"m not sure it showed up very often, if ever again.

It'd be fun if they played a cover song too -- though I know that would bum out some folks -- "we got a weak version of Won't Get Fooled Again instead of SBS, WTF?" -- then like 19 pages of posts about the merits of the trade off.

Can you count snippets of various songs during alot of live u2 tracks as cover versions?

Can you count snippets of various songs during alot of live u2 tracks as cover versions?

I'd vote no, but I don't know the official or unofficial rules for what counts as a "song" on an official U2 Tour website dedicated to setlists and such.

To me, a cover song is the whole song.

The "Staring at the sun" version from the Clinton concert some years ago was quite interesting plus they pulled out A Man and a Woman for the first and last and only time. It's interesting that these rare moments seem to happen in an acoustic setting and/or with Bono and Edge only most of the time. Makes you wonder if stuff like that is even possible with the whole band performing.

I'd like to see U2Brother go up on stage on this next tour. Mirrorball helmet and all.

Oh and:

1) The return of Gone.

2) More snippets of Discotheque.

3) Less Sunday Bloody Sunday. How about Surrender instead? Bring back some of that mullet-swag, B Man.

4) Desire with electric guitar and MORE harmonica/cowbell.

5) Slide solo on Mysterious Ways, please. Why would they ever go without it?

6) Electric Co. and/or An Cat Dub/Into the Heart instead of Out of Control/I Will Follow.

7) I like Elevation. They can keep it in rotation. Make it rough. I want Edge tearing strings out of the guitar.

8) No Acrobat. It wouldn't fit anymore. It's a depressing song. Fantastic. But a boner killer.

9) Don't play that version of Mercy. Because because because you can't.

10) Listen, we know MOFO is one of the best intros next to the revamped Even Better Than the Real Thing and Zoo Station. But it needs to be modernized. A little cleaner on Edge's guitar. Same DRUMS AND BASS please. Dat groove and beat.

11) Until the End of the World is the best live. But if it's played too often, Bono stops singing it and starts speaking it.

12) Get on Your Boots. But it's lost its appeal. It came. It conquered us. We are so tired of its awkwardness by now.

13) Moment of Surrender is not appealing live. It's a stoic song you listen in solitude. Not with tens of thousands of people who are waiting for 40.

Catorce) If you need a slow song, let's hear White as Snow. Or cover Hurt. Actually, just cover Hurt.

15) Why the fuck have we not heard Dirty Day since '93? It's simple. It's great. It's the antithesis of Beautiful Day.

16) Vertigo. Vertigo. Vertigo. I'm at a place called Vertigo. Yeah, keep it in rotation. It's really good.

17) City of Blinding Lights. IT's tiiii--IIIII----iii----IIII-me to go. I could personally use Red Hill Mining Town...in a lower key. Never gonna happen! I know!

18) With or Without You. It's a song they are too comfortable with. It needs an injection of energy. Or drop it.

Bring back Please. It's a top 5 live song imo. Not the acoustic, elevation version. Bring back the guitar, SBS drums, and Bono's war cry. Best song on PopMart and a thousand times better than ill go crazy on 360. I'll be pissed if they bring back I'll go crazy and not please.

Bring back Please. It's a top 5 live song imo. Not the acoustic, elevation version. Bring back the guitar, SBS drums, and Bono's war cry. Best song on PopMart by a mile and a thousand times better than ill go crazy on 360. I'll be pissed if they bring back I'll go crazy and not please.

Yeah, but those are two totally different songs. Why would bringing back one impact the other?

I agree with many of Moser's points, but...
6) instead of Out of Control/I Will Follow.

7) They can keep it in rotation.

8) No Acrobat. It wouldn't fit anymore. It's a depressing song. Fantastic. But a boner killer.

Catorce) If you need a slow song, let's hear White as Snow. Or cover Hurt. Actually, just cover Hurt.

17) City of Blinding Lights. IT's tiiii--IIIII----iii----IIII-me to go.
Elevation needs a long rest, just like Pride. Then, it can go into rotation.
I can imagine one hell of a lightshow/video piece to accompany Acrobat. They should give it a shot.
I love COBL, and I don't think they will be dropping it. Would be a shame if they did.
I Will Follow and Out of Control were rotated with other songs on the last tour, and I think they'll remain that way.

I'd like to see U2Brother go up on stage on this next tour. Mirrorball helmet and all.

Oh and:

1) The return of Gone.

2) More snippets of Discotheque.

3) Less Sunday Bloody Sunday. How about Surrender instead? Bring back some of that mullet-swag, B Man.

4) Desire with electric guitar and MORE harmonica/cowbell.

5) Slide solo on Mysterious Ways, please. Why would they ever go without it?

6) Electric Co. and/or An Cat Dub/Into the Heart instead of Out of Control/I Will Follow.

7) I like Elevation. They can keep it in rotation. Make it rough. I want Edge tearing strings out of the guitar.

9) Don't play that version of Mercy. Because because because you can't.

10) Listen, we know MOFO is one of the best intros next to the revamped Even Better Than the Real Thing and Zoo Station. But it needs to be modernized. A little cleaner on Edge's guitar. Same DRUMS AND BASS please. Dat groove and beat.

11) Until the End of the World is the best live. But if it's played too often, Bono stops singing it and starts speaking it.

12) Get on Your Boots. But it's lost its appeal. It came. It conquered us. We are so tired of its awkwardness by now.

13) Moment of Surrender is not appealing live. It's a stoic song you listen in solitude. Not with tens of thousands of people who are waiting for 40.

15) Why the fuck have we not heard Dirty Day since '93? It's simple. It's great. It's the antithesis of Beautiful Day.

16) Vertigo. Vertigo. Vertigo. I'm at a place called Vertigo. Yeah, keep it in rotation. It's really good.

17) City of Blinding Lights. IT's tiiii--IIIII----iii----IIII-me to go. I could personally use Red Hill Mining Town...in a lower key. Never gonna happen! I know!

18) With or Without You. It's a song they are too comfortable with. It needs an injection of energy. Or drop it.

yes to all this.

That might be why you don't like it, you're listening to it wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I've always heard it as political. It's an okay song. I actually like it much better on the album. But that's the great thing about U2 songs, we all may here it differently and get it a different meaning from it.

I've always heard it as political. It's an okay song. I actually like it much better on the album. But that's the great thing about U2 songs, we all may here it differently and get it a different meaning from it.

I think it's more of a song about getting away from it all, not really rising up against something or taking a side.

Why the fuck have we not heard Dirty Day since '93? It's simple. It's great. It's the antithesis of Beautiful Day.

I completely agree with this. Top 5 U2 song lyrically imo. It rocked on ZooTV. Daddy's Gonna Pay...would be sick too.

Predictions:

They'll play the whole album from start to finish except for one song because it would make the set too ballad heavy. The album will be a concept record with a defined arc and implied story.

It will be followed a rotating section of deep cuts and hits, with the emphasis on deep cuts and the hits won't be the ones we're used to, aside from Streets.

WOWY will be retired; One, SBS, Beautiful Day, Vertigo, and Pride will be played rarely. Walk On and Stuck will be banished. Nothing from NLOTH will be played aside from Fez.

The stage will be more modest than 360 but more conceptual and tied to the music. It won't be a retreat to the Elevation and Vertigo designs.

There is nothing even remotely political about Crazy Tonight unless it's a veiled reference to a nighttime coup or something. And I'm pretty sure it's not. It's probably inspired by a solo midnight run for a couple of buckets of KFC.

There is nothing even remotely political about Crazy Tonight unless it's a veiled reference to a nighttime coup or something. And I'm pretty sure it's not. It's probably inspired by a solo midnight run for a couple of buckets of KFC.

:applaud:

Some thoughts, setlist wise

- SBS, Pride, ISHFWILF, WOWY and One need a rest. Don't drop them completely, but rotate them a little. I can't stand the band's lazy WOWY performances, but I understand they aren't going to ever completely ditch that song, it's too important in their history, and arguably their biggest hit.

- I think Bullet will return. Hopefully they do a kickass version of it, not that lame shit they did on the Vertigo Tour. They'll probably do a Bono and Edge acoustic version, EVERY-SINGLE-NIGHT!

- I understand why they play "I will follow", it's their most well known song from the early days, it's easy to play live for all members, easy for the crowd to sing along with and jump along to… but there are about 10 other songs from Boy I wish they'd play instead. I get so sick of IWF being played at nearly every show I've seen.

- Expect 7-8 new songs, dropping to about 5-6 by the end of the tour. Additionally, there will be a song from the new album everybody loves, seems like a great song for a concert, and the band won't even attempt to play.

- There will probably be a valiant effort at the beginning of the tour to play more deep cuts, especially if we're looking at lots of multiple night stands in arenas. As the tour wears on, and moves into stadiums, look for rarities like "Red Hill Mining Town" to be replaced with more familiar songs like WOWY.

The only songs that shouldn't be subject to setlist rotation are Streets, Beautiful Day and Vertigo.

- I understand why they play "I will follow", it's their most well known song from the early days, it's easy to play live for all members, easy for the crowd to sing along with and jump along to… but there are about 10 other songs from Boy I wish they'd play instead. I get so sick of IWF being played at nearly every show I've seen.

Weirdly enough, the Minneapolis show in 2011 was the first time I'd ever seen it live. It wasn't exactly a staple on that tour either.

They also played Out of Control at the Chicago show I was at too, so that was two Boy cuts during that summer on my end.

I can't see them abandoning the runway idea - bono loves getting around the crowd too much. I'd like to see them pick a core of maybe 6-7 staples and 6-7 from the new album, and rotate the rest. I know they won't, as they need weeks rehearsing a song before they play it. I love the idea of new album start to finish, but this will depend entirely on it outdoing all expectations commercially. If the theme of the album is indeed their roots, we may see the revival of some early songs like another time, another place, stories for boys, a day without me etc.

I can't see them abandoning the runway idea - bono loves getting around the crowd too much. I'd like to see them pick a core of maybe 6-7 staples and 6-7 from the new album, and rotate the rest. I know they won't, as they need weeks rehearsing a song before they play it. I love the idea of new album start to finish, but this will depend entirely on it outdoing all expectations commercially. If the theme of the album is indeed their roots, we may see the revival of some early songs like another time, another place, stories for boys, a day without me etc.
I can't see them on an end stage anymore, or abandoning the runway/ellipse concept.

Predictions:

They'll play the whole album from start to finish except for one song because it would make the set too ballad heavy. The album will be a concept record with a defined arc and implied story.

It will be followed a rotating section of deep cuts and hits, with the emphasis on deep cuts and the hits won't be the ones we're used to, aside from Streets.

WOWY will be retired; One, SBS, Beautiful Day, Vertigo, and Pride will be played rarely. Walk On and Stuck will be banished. Nothing from NLOTH will be played aside from Fez.

is this a prediction, or your fantasy? :)

Back
Top Bottom