Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eamon696

The Fly
My god this song is a masterpiece. It is filled with such energy, passion, and love. I could definitely see this song in movies, trailers, and it could be a successful single if they chose to release it. I would love to see this as their closer live!

Thoughts on LIBTAIIW?

I think this is a song that could have benefited with some signature Edge guitar chime (think heartland) that’s missing from the album. It doesn’t sound like a U2 song which one can argue is a good thing but to me it sounds like a generic feel good song that really anyone could make.

Great song, really liking it. Especially the drum part, but the rest of the arrangement as well. Love the energy in it. Fits the album very well.

Do agree with Gonna Run 2 U, it could use some signature Edge chimes. But that's something we haven't been getting for a while now.

I think this is a song that could have benefited with some signature Edge guitar chime (think heartland) that’s missing from the album. It doesn’t sound like a U2 song which one can argue is a good thing but to me it sounds like a generic feel good song that really anyone could make.

The production is a bit generic, I can agree with that, but the melodies, the lyrics and vocals are IMO strong enough and have enough of an identity for it to escape the generic feel. It also helps that the placement of the song in the context of the album is so good, and that U2 to be frank hasn't done clear-cut anthems like this one often in recent times. Last one I can think of that's obviously anthemic is City of Blinding Lights.

Love this track. Deep production, powerful melody and structure. Doesn't really sound like usual anthemic U2 in any sense, and that's part of what's interesting about the impression it still manages to make. I know some have knocked it a bit for being too on the nose or cheesy, but I don't fully agree with that. Lyrics are as surprisingly good as the music. This is one of the songs I've wondered most about what the evolution of it must have been, not because of any issues with it, but because of how good it ended up sounding. :edge:

the bridge is excellent, but of the songs we haven't heard yet prior to this weekend, this one is clicking with me the least.

I've only listened to the album a handful of times to try to avoid overdosing. I'll be giving it a couple more spins later, and will get around to posting my own album review later too.

Love this track. Deep production, powerful melody and structure. Doesn't really sound like usual anthemic U2 in any sense, and that's part of what's interesting about the impression it still manages to make. I know some have knocked it a bit for being too on the nose or cheesy, but I don't fully agree with that. Lyrics are as surprisingly good as the music. This is one of the songs I've wondered most about what the evolution of it must have been, not because of any issues with it, but because of how good it ended up sounding. :edge:

The "too on the nose" critique is something I don't quite get when it comes to this song. The entire point of the song is to strip away all artifice and convey emotional honesty is the clearest terms possible to his children. I'm not sure how that can be construed as "cheesy" unless people are uncomfortable with that sort of thing.

It’s the first U2 song since Kite to bring me to tears on the first listen. I get that it’s over the top but in the context of what comes before it and especially afterwards, it’s amazing in my opinion.

This is the one song that hasn't really hit me yet. I don't know what it is about it. It's definitely a big song, something they're good at. I think it just stands out a little differently than anything else on the record and so it needs time to grow.

Live setting may help too.

They will end the upcoming shows with this one.

I think LIBTAIIW is their attempt at a summation, like “in the end, the love you take = love you make.”

This is a more profound thought.

Bono likes to say that when they’re in the studio, they wait for God to walk into the room. With this song, he not only walked into the room, he stayed a while.

Simply epic.

The first time I heard this, I cheered, clapped, and cried all alone like a weirdo. It is so good!

It’s the first U2 song since Kite to bring me to tears on the first listen. I get that it’s over the top but in the context of what comes before it and especially afterwards, it’s amazing in my opinion.

I'm always a blubbering idiot when I hear Kite, so ...oh my goodness, I can't wait to hear this song.

This is quite possibly my pick of the new songs right now. It caught me more than any other on the first listen . The melody is lovely and like others have said, I can see this ending the shows on E&I.

Last edited:
Who would’ve ever thought that long ass title would actually make a great chorus? This one is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

For the live concerts, I'm picturing a combo of Love Is Bigger with a big singalong moment at the end, then a quiet transition of Love Is All We Have Left as Streets starts. Goosebumps!

This is the one song that hasn't really hit me yet. I don't know what it is about it. It's definitely a big song, something they're good at. I think it just stands out a little differently than anything else on the record and so it needs time to grow.

Live setting may help too.

Same for me. Not in my top 6 or 7 of the album (yet?)

I think the song gets better and better as it goes along. The verses are ok; I think it's when we come to the chorus that the song really picks up. The last "Ooohhh" in the second chorus is so desperate and powerful, and the bridge is beautiful:

If the moonlight caught you crying on Killiney Bay
Oh sing your song
Let your song be sung
If you listen you can hear the silence say
When you think you're done
You've just begun

I love the album. Really, very impressed on so many levels. This song though? It doesn't do anything for me. On so many levels. I find it painfully bad. I hope that changes over time. I'm glad so many people love it. To each their own.

I love the album. Really, very impressed on so many levels. This song though? It doesn't do anything for me. On so many levels. I find it painfully bad. I hope that changes over time. I'm glad so many people love it. To each their own.

How can you 'love' an album that contains a track that is 'painfully bad'? Hyperbole much?

over-analyze and nitpick people's opinion much? What, is this journalism class and I've gone too "hyperbole" on you? I was merely (and respectfully) giving my opinion on a track. Didn't realize an editor would be reviewing my use of words. Groan. And one wonders why I have but only 5 (now 6) posts to date.
FYI, don't take people's opinions on art personally. It'll go a long way towards not reacting so sensitively.

The guys on the U Talkin’ U2 to Me? podcast seemed to think this was the album’s biggest song. Can’t say I disagree.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom