Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I liked it, but thought it would be a little more “powerful”. Is it a video that’s going to get the attention of the general public and be praised by the masses? Doubt it.

I liked it, but thought it would be a little more “powerful”. Is it a video that’s going to get the attention of the general public and be praised by the masses? Doubt it.

Can agree with this. I would have preferred a more narrow-scoped video, focusing on the narrative of a particular person/couple/group of friends. But love the video for what it is - a celebration of love and identity, particularly in relation to the idea of joy as an act of defiance.

The video is here!

I like the video a lot. I like the song a lot. But again, i feel like the video doesn't match the songs meaning so much. Just like the NY video for Best Thing.

They are releasing this song at the perfect moment for what its about. Coming of age, young people, becoming men and women, and heading out into the real world (ala Graduation season). Spring, growth, renewal, etc...

This could have been paired with an emotional scene of a hit TV show, about one of the above themes, or just love overcoming adversity in some way, and I think it would make a splash.

I see the point of the initial release is not as important to the bands success any more since not as many people are paying attention. But I personally know a lot of casual U2 fans/listeners that were pretty turned off by the SNL performance, and weren't wowed by the Grammy gig. And that's all they had to see to not give the album a chance.

Hope they find a way to get this song really out there to the public. it deserves it.

Lazy video just like all U2 videos in the last years.

Lazy? Sorry, that's ignorant. The amount of time and energy that must have gone into the Best Thing lyric video, Both American Soul videos, is IMMENSE.
I don't agree with lazy.

Disconnected is my issue with the videos this time around. They are also getting farmed out to artist/producers/filmakers, etc... to do. So while they are kinda unique and artistic and interesting. I just don't "feel" them so much.

That said, i will give them credit because I will take this over seeing them doing a performance video any day of the week. They need to stay away from being in the videos in my opinion.

I like the video a lot. I like the song a lot. But again, i feel like the video doesn't match the songs meaning so much. Just like the NY video for Best Thing.

They are releasing this song at the perfect moment for what its about. Coming of age, young people, becoming men and women, and heading out into the real world (ala Graduation season). Spring, growth, renewal, etc...

This could have been paired with an emotional scene of a hit TV show, about one of the above themes, or just love overcoming adversity in some way, and I think it would make a splash.

I see the point of the initial release is not as important to the bands success any more since not as many people are paying attention. But I personally know a lot of casual U2 fans/listeners that were pretty turned off by the SNL performance, and weren't wowed by the Grammy gig. And that's all they had to see to not give the album a chance.

Hope they find a way to get this song really out there to the public. it deserves it.

Couldn’t disagree more. Unlike many of their previous singles, the video couldn’t match the song more perfectly. A powerful message.

I would say it’s their best video in quite some time.

seems kind of girly.

KIDDING

it's lovely. a little small for the song, but also genuinely moving. it also feels like a bit of a rush job, but that's fine. it's very Irish, too.

seems kind of girly.

KIDDING

it's lovely. a little small for the song, but also genuinely moving. it also feels like a bit of a rush job, but that's fine. it's very Irish, too.
This is pretty much my thoughts.

Could have been tighter, but fits the overall theme of the song.

Yes, OMG, it's not about Bono's sons like the actual song. But the same things he's portraying to them fit these kids as well, so it works.

I didn't exactly think "this would be a good spot for a kid to twerk" when I invisioned the "when you think you're done you've just begun..." part of the song.

Alas...

The overall theme works, but I agree with those who said it could have been a little tighter.

Well we had that "world is done/world is dumb" switcheroo from Bono recently, are we sure the lyrics here aren't actually "when you think you've buns, you've just begun"?

seems kind of girly.

KIDDING

:love:

I agree that the idea is better than the execution, and with Eamon above who suggested a narrower scope may have had more impact.

Also, there was only one person of color that I remember seeing, and I'm pretty sure they showed him again later with his hair styled differently maybe to make it look like it was another person? Maybe this was all shot in one town that was predominately white, but if the point of the video is about inclusion, it would have been nicer to see a wider variety of skin color in it.

Could have been tighter

Surely this type of comment belongs on Lance's Mom's Yelp page, not here.

Well we had that "world is done/world is dumb" switcheroo from Bono recently, are we sure the lyrics here aren't actually "when you think you've buns, you've just begun"?

:love:

I agree that the idea is better than the execution, and with Eamon above who suggested a narrower scope may have had more impact.

Also, there was only one person of color that I remember seeing, and I'm pretty sure they showed him again later with his hair styled differently maybe to make it look like it was another person? Maybe this was all shot in one town that was predominately white, but if the point of the video is about inclusion, it would have been nicer to see a wider variety of skin color in it.

Surely this type of comment belongs on Lance's Mom's Yelp page, not here.
[emoji813]

I read a review somewhere of SOE that said it was the sound of a band trying to give too many fucks. U2 always gave too many fucks, but that review seemed to think it was forced, contrived fuck-giving at that moment.

I've also read comments here where there's a desire to go back to the 'we don't need the pop kids' era of U2's experimentalism where they appeared not to give a fuck - yet really, the band was in full fuck-giving mode in reinventing themselves to stay relevant at the time, and it was just the alternative, grunge-iest things to say that you didn't give a flying F.

So this video, on a first couple of views, looks like U2 really doesn't give a fuck. In a good way.

It's not on narrative, but it's genuine in keeping to the theme of the song. Maybe it's not Bono's son going off on his own musical journey with his own band, but it's genuine in that it's a definite statement encouraging kids to live their own truth and feel great in their own skin. It could be his son, too. Who knows. It doesn't matter.

Are the people in the video meant to stir up controversy? Are they meant to garner the attention of the younger generation? Piss off the right, please the left?Is it trying too hard? Is it meant to be charming, disturbing, or is the point that if we find it boring, maybe that's a good thing?

It's a video that's paired with a song whose lyrics are encouraging the viewer to take any reaction they have and understand that love is bigger than that. It is what it is and displays it without any narrative or frame of reference other than the music. It might stir up the pot, it may not. It may help the song along, it may not. But this is what they wanted to do, so there it is.

It shows a bunch of happy people... and who gives a fuck?

That was utter garbage.

Great song killed by the hands of U2 with a D grade video clip.

They've relayed their message far better than this many times before.

Are the people in the video meant to stir up controversy? Are they meant to garner the attention of the younger generation? Piss off the right, please the left?Is it trying too hard? Is it meant to be charming, disturbing, or is the point that if we find it boring, maybe that's a good thing?

Yes.

I haven't even watched it yet.

Last edited:
It's a nice video. Then again, I've actually watched it so maybe I'm overqualified to comment.

I feel like I read somewhere that they hate shooting videos, and since they are pretty much all out of the induce-teen-horniness category, why not outsource their videos when they can and give other artists an avenue by which others can see their work (ie, the awesome EBW movie)? I’m sure they’re far too busy with the tour to worry about videos that aren’t terribly important anymore.

I wish it were grander too, but I fully understand and appreciate what they’ve done here.

I hope it gains some traction — I feel like this is the grand U2 people want, no one does uplift-tinged-with-loss like U2.

I’m determined to remain spoiler free this time, but I can easily envision the shows ending with this as a massive singalong.

Last edited:
How is this meant to stir up controversy, or jump on a "bandwagon"? Like U2 has never been involved in social justice and the like?

Seriously, what the actual fuck.

How is this meant to stir up controversy, or jump on a "bandwagon"? Like U2 has never been involved in social justice and the like?

Seriously, what the actual fuck.
Seriously.

This is a band who spat in the eye of a paramilitary group in their own country in the early 80s... yet showing LGBQT kids is somehow controversial.

Showing a bunch of kids being themselves is only controversial if you're a hateful prick.

Exactly. The people who fell in love with the band in the 80s suddenly want them to be apolitical because they're on the OTHER SIDE OF THE BARRICADE NOW.

Back
Top Bottom