Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Better decision

First single - Blackout
Second single - Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
NCAA song - Lights of Home
Final single - The Little Things That Give You Away

Agreed with this, even if I don't love Love is Bigger yet... but this would've made sense if they wanted it to be the song, which given the 1000 remixes of it and giving it a pretty big spot in the setlist, seems like they do.

It was pretty good live in St. Louis, though. Hoping it'll connect with me more when the Northeast concerts come and go.

Better decision

First single - Blackout

How about this:

First single - Blackout & Red Flag Day

I don't know what the heck is the deal with U2 and singles since NLOTH. NLOTH, SOI, & SOE have all had questionable singles.

The Beck remix is REALLY good.

I’m back for one post only but I felt compelled to say that the end of the Beck remix is how I wish the album version ended. That would be the perfect version!

Now go fuck yourselves everyone.

The Beck remix is REALLY good.

I’m back for one post only but I felt compelled to say that the end of the Beck remix is how I wish the album version ended. That would be the perfect version!

Now go fuck yourselves everyone.

Beck remix of LIBTAIIW is way better again than the rest of the garbage mixes.

One of Beck's remix calling cards must be to randomly swap verses around.

Re: that last post, I'm not exactly sure how the remix process works. Like do they give the person all the master tapes (files), with all the recorded tracks that they can raise or lower, as well as alternate takes? It's possible that another take of the song had Bono singing the verses in this order, and it's the one Beck liked more. Would seem odd just to change it without any precedent.

Anyway, this reminds me a little of Sprawl II by Arcade Fire in its dance vibe. Which is not a bad thing.

Kind of lame that the "If" in "If the moonlight caught you..." is clipped, you can't even hear it, and that's probably a result of the general speed-up.

Nice that he gives the end refrain more repeats, unlike (once again!) the unfortunate decision with the album version to cut it short.

As for the suggestion that this should have been the "key" single/second single or whatever, I won't argue with that. If The Blackout is first and is saying "we can still Rock but in a danceable, modern way", then LIB could have been the giant pop follow-up.

But I still think it should be the second track. You can't bury a catchy pop confection like this at the end of the album.

But what I don't get is why the hell they didn't release this first if they thought this was THE song. Why go through the ridiculousness of Best Thing, Get Out and American Soul?

That's easy to answer. Because late last year they thought Best Thing would be it. And then Get Out and American Soul. I think it is just kind of a desperate move to find one song which really is THE song and they try one after the other.

I like this song a lot better without the Christian-rock piano, which I can't stand in the album version. Sounds pretty great live at the shows, where there's still the piano but it feels way more buried in the mix.

I won't argue that promoting GOOYOW and American Soul was a huge misstep, but take no issue with Best Thing being first single (first time U2's made the right call in this regard since 2004 ;P). Granted, it didn't exactly light up the charts or generate a dizzying buzz about the record, but it's safe to say nothing on the album would've (of course, there's always the debate regarding which demographic the band should be targeting, but even with that approach I fail to see any other song significantly eclipsing whatever meager impact Best Thing had on the populace).

But whatevs, we can all agree to disagree as to what song U2 should've pushed first, but it's kinda amazing we're all pretty much in accord with one another that GOOYOW and American Soul shouldn't have even been in the running amongst the album's potpourri of potential singles.
That SNL performance... oof.

It's a pretty damn good song.

But what I don't get is why the hell they didn't release this first if they thought this was THE song. Why go through the ridiculousness of Best Thing, Get Out and American Soul?

Their choice are baffling.

Maybe they didn't realize how good it was until they started rehearsing it live.

Now that I've gone to a few shows, my 2 favorite SOE songs of the night are Love Is Bigger and GOOYOW. I doubt I would have guessed that 4 months ago.

Maybe they didn't realize how good it was until they started rehearsing it live.

Now that I've gone to a few shows, my 2 favorite SOE songs of the night are Love Is Bigger and GOOYOW. I doubt I would have guessed that 4 months ago.

Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way was the closer for the BBC gig. They knew it was the big song right from the start.

Just listened to the Beck remix and i liked it enough to download it. Not big on his echo effect but it is very well done and by far the best one I have heard for Love is Bigger.

cheat codes remix wtf :yuck:

and he complained music was too "girlie" :lol:

what were they THINKING?!

how did that shite get thru a democratic vote of 4? omgggggggggggggggggg

Last edited:
Is the "cheat codes" version the one that has someone not named Bono singing words that aren't from the song itself?

Because WTF NO.

I enjoy bits and pieces of the 3 remixes, but overall, yeah, the original is clearly the superlative version [emoji14] Still, I can see myself returning to these mixes every now and then (i'd say they're about on par with Best Thing's Sci-Fi Soul mix... maybe... it's kinda been awhile since I've listened to that one, but i remember it leaving a favorable impression teehee)

oh i loved the Sci Fi soul mix!

i just did NOT appreciate the cheat codes girlie boy band thing (still traumatised)

So I just listened to some of these remixes.

The Beck one is fine, though unnecessary.

Everybody involved in the Cheat Codes remix should be punched in the face. Like... is this just a Bono guest appearance in some completely unrelated shithouse tune for commercial pop radio? Because that seems to be the effect they've gone for here. Fucking hideous.

The processed "oh oh oh" bit being kept in the acoustic version is one of the most hilariously stupidest decisions that could have been made.

Parts of the Funk Hunters remix sound like somebody randomly started playing with effects on a computer from the nineties.

I can't keep going with these. I love how, no matter the context, Bono sounds like he is over-emoting something shocking when he does the "oooh love is bigger" bit.

So I just listened to some of these remixes.

The Beck one is fine, though unnecessary.

Everybody involved in the Cheat Codes remix should be punched in the face. Like... is this just a Bono guest appearance in some completely unrelated shithouse tune for commercial pop radio? Because that seems to be the effect they've gone for here. Fucking hideous.

Yep, “Cheat Codes” version feels like something a random person made at home while drunk and posted to YouTube but forgot that they did. I mean....it has a real “Get Shwifty” vibe to it and that’s embarrassing.

sounds like beck was trying to make the drums in the verses dramatic with the surprising placement but it comes across as half assed. actually the whole mix sounds half assed, kinda like his lights of home mix. they're both lame.

the cheat codes mix :lol:

they should be ashamed of themselves. are they so insulated by money and yesmen that nobody will tell them when they have an atrocious idea? I didn't think U2 could sink below the Best Thing but they've done it!

they should be ashamed of themselves. are they so insulated by money and yesmen that nobody will tell them when they have an atrocious idea? I didn't think U2 could sink below the Best Thing but they've done it!

While I have always disagreed with you on GOOYOW and TBT (to an extent) and I actually like the Beck remixes......you’re right

How does no one say:

1-Black Out RSD mix is atrocious
2-GOOYOW remixes are terrible
2-Love is Bigger mixes are terrible
3-Acoustic TBT is so fucking un-U2 live and boring
4- lip syncing a U2 song at a live U2 show is fucking ridiculous
5- if you are going to play the (superior) Strings version of LOH...pay 3 violinists to join you on stage vs playing pre-recorded strings at a live show
6- take off those Fucking glasses!!!!!
7- the homeless Bono look is not cool....fucking shave or grow it out but don’t leave it like it is
8- youre the best live band around, why are you pre-recording GOOYOW in front of the Statue of Liberty a mile away from any fans??????
9- lose the fucking bull horn.
10- no really, lose the bull horn
11- 3 Songs you need a bull horn for during the show?
12- get rid of the snap chat filter of the devil

It’s easy...ready....”you know Bono, riding in a boat with Kygo sounds really cool but I just think lip syncing the dance version of Best Thing while wearing that hat and those glasses is not the way to go. I mean, Adam will look really bored and that’s not fair to him”.

While I have always disagreed with you on GOOYOW and TBT (to an extent) and I actually like the Beck remixes......you’re right

How does no one say:

1-Black Out RSD mix is atrocious
2-GOOYOW remixes are terrible
2-Love is Bigger mixes are terrible
3-Acoustic TBT is so fucking un-U2 live and boring
4- lip syncing a U2 song at a live U2 show is fucking ridiculous
5- if you are going to play the (superior) Strings version of LOH...pay 3 violinists to join you on stage vs playing pre-recorded strings at a live show
6- take off those Fucking glasses!!!!!
7- the homeless Bono look is not cool....fucking shave or grow it out but don’t leave it like it is
8- youre the best live band around, why are you pre-recording GOOYOW in front of the Statue of Liberty a mile away from any fans??????
9- lose the fucking bull horn.
10- no really, lose the bull horn
11- 3 Songs you need a bull horn for during the show?
12- get rid of the snap chat filter of the devil

It’s easy...ready....”you know Bono, riding in a boat with Kygo sounds really cool but I just think lip syncing the dance version of Best Thing while wearing that hat and those glasses is not the way to go. I mean, Adam will look really bored and that’s not fair to him”.

Truly all of this. Plus, just stop with the acoustic covers of your electric songs. You have one of the greatest electric guitar players of all time in your band. Mostly seen this way because of all the electronic gadgetry that he has mastery of. Yet, let's watch him fumble around on an acoustic guitar and weaken this song terribly...

Good Acoustic = Slow Dancin' cause it was meant to be.

Bad acoustic = Vertigo on Ellen :doh: and pretty much every other full band song you do and play acoustically. STOP

Back
Top Bottom