Linear (DISCUSSION ONLY)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nirniva

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Well, according to some posters in the other Linear thread, the movie has leaked! Since that thread has sort of become a request thread, I thought a discussion thread might be useful.
Mods: Lock/merge/move if needed. :wave:

i dont get it....

is it a doco of the band making the album, or is it an actual film with characters/storyline etc?

Yeah this thread is fine but can you please post the info of the DVD. A lot of people dont know what it is.

Is there any sound effects/dialogue in the film, or is the only sound the music?

its a 50 minute video, done by long time u2 photographer anton corbijn. it loosely follows the idea that runs through a few of the songs on NLOTH of a french policeman riding his motorcycle from paris to southern tip of spain.

the film, is a silent movie put to the music of NLOTH. the tracklisting is different, and there is one song ("Winter") that is not on NLOTH, and i'll go crazy is not in the film. the clip for magnificent shows u2 in studio performing, its the only time the band is in the movie.

imo, its really boring typical anton art video. about 30 minutes of the video is the main character riding on a motorcycle. if you really love anton's videos, you will probably like it. its all in black and white, and its pretty slow moving.

its a 50 minute video, done by long time u2 photographer anton corbijn. it loosely follows the idea that runs through a few of the songs on NLOTH of a french policeman riding his motorcycle from paris to southern tip of spain.

the film, is a silent movie put to the music of NLOTH. the tracklisting is different, and there is one song ("Winter") that is not on NLOTH, and i'll go crazy is not in the film. the clip for magnificent shows u2 in studio performing, its the only time the band is in the movie.

imo, its really boring typical anton art video. about 30 minutes of the video is the main character riding on a motorcycle. if you really love anton's videos, you will probably like it. its all in black and white, and its pretty slow moving.

that's weird. my copy isn't in black & white.

otherwise, i like it for what it is. it's basically a visual for the album. i'll probably watch it time to time.

Picking this fucker up in about an hour and watching it over lunch on a massive screen in the boardroom at work. Loudly. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :up:

imo, its really boring typical anton art video.

It's very typical Anton.

If you like his movie and video work, you'll like this, if not you'll hate this...

Anton, isn't the greatest movie maker, he's a brilliant photographer but his movies are often shot with a photographer's mindset, large expansive shots which last for a long time, which is probably what will bore most people.

He gets a little too literal sometimes(which is true of almost all his work) especially during Boots, he touches upon a theme with numbers(which I haven't really figured out) but doesn't seem to expand on it, and some of the transitions are pretty akward...

Nice try, but overall I think U2 put a little bit too much trust in him...

Is it surround sound? (DTS/Dolby etc.) or stereo? That is the key thing for me.
Yes this is the thing I'm most interested in.
DTS/Dolby surround sound would give the album a whole new dimension sound-wise.

If you worry about the quality of the sound, get the DVD version, and NOT the one where you download it.

My boxset is already on the way...

If the soundtrack is 5.1 surround then it is a whole different ball game I think. However, I can just feel it is gonna be 2.0 stereo. U2 don't seem the type to master the songs in 5.1 :down:

Anton, isn't the greatest movie maker, he's a brilliant photographer but his movies are often shot with a photographer's mindset, large expansive shots which last for a long time, which is probably what will bore most people.

:down:

Its his photographer's mindset that makes his films so beautiful. If you find them boring, thats for you to decide, but to say he isnt a great film maker is ridiculous

The audio track is a 2ch 192 kbps AAC stream, which is decent, better than 320 kbps MP3 anyway.

I don't think the DVD version is surround sound either, remember reading something about it being 2ch.

:down:

Its his photographer's mindset that makes his films so beautiful. If you find them boring, thats for you to decide, but to say he isnt a great film maker is ridiculous

Yes, it's my opinion. I never said I found it boring, visually he's pretty amazing, but beautiful visuals don't always make for beautiful films. :shrug:

The audio track is a 2ch 192 kbps AAC stream, which is decent, better than 320 kbps MP3 anyway.

I don't think the DVD version is surround sound either, remember reading something about it being 2ch.

Is it possible to send to the community this soundtrack ? :heart:

Yes, it's my opinion. I never said I found it boring, visually he's pretty amazing, but beautiful visuals don't always make for beautiful films. :shrug:

Sorry if i came across as snippy, i after rereading what i wrote, I sounded like a bit of a bastard :tsk: I've just always been a visual person, so I really appreciate Anton's style in stills and in film. He was the reason I became a photographer myself, so i mightve gotten a little defensive :hug:

Is it possible to send to the community this soundtrack ? :heart:

As I have said before:

If someone is willing to upload it to / or seed a torrent so that it can be shared among the community.
(the film is 806 MB).
I will be willing to send them a link.

I am not emailing individual requests out any more, they just won't stop otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom