Linear (DISCUSSION ONLY)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i got the deluxe today for my birthday, thankfully, because i would have been a bit disappointed if i spent money on it myself :(
not that it's bad, i just don't think it's worth $60 or whatever :shrug:

anyway, the film didn't shed too much on the songs for me, just gave me some great travel shots :love:
i was an exchange student in paris last spring, and i lived near porte d'orleans, and when that exit sign was shown in the film, i almost started crying :sad::heart: plus UC with the shots of paris at night? :heart: beautiful :heart:

however, through the whole film, i felt like there was some really deep meaning that i was missing, and it really distracted me, but it is visually beautiful
just didn't add much to the album for me :shrug:

I really, really, really, really, really hope....that the ladies on tour don't show up wearing moustashes....

..............this would be a bad thing. :ohmy:

i dunno, im beginning to warm to the film, especially the women with moustaches in GOYB, there's something oddly seductive about it,,,, at first, i was like WTF ? now's like hang on,,,,,there's something there ....

Everyone needs love.

Even trannies! The movie has shown me this much.

I just watched Linear today. I had to keep reminding myself that it's less of a movie and more of a visual accessory to the music. That helped me tolerate it more.

Having the guy just sit there and eat a salad didn't seem right for "Being Born." The song is more epic than that! :huh:

But I have a feeling that there is some kind of very subtle humor at play in some parts of this movie. The executive producers are listed as the band members, and anyone who knows anything about U2 knows that they are goofballs at heart. For example: the weirdness of the salad scene. Maybe they just said, "Let's just have him sit there and eat a salad!" Who knows? I actually laughed at that scene because it was so ridiculous. Now I wonder if that's the whole point!

I was confused about the women with mustaches at first, but I think I get the joke now: they are called the "Senor-itas." "Senor" refers to a man in Spanish, and "ita" is a feminine suffix. Only Bono could come up with that kind of totally-lame-yet-funny type of joke. :lol: :rolleyes:

Also, the motorcycle's license plate said "N LOTH."

My concluding thought after the film ended: "Europeans are so weird!" :wink:

But I have a feeling that there is some kind of very subtle humor at play in some parts of this movie. The executive producers are listed as the band members, and anyone who knows anything about U2 knows that they are goofballs at heart. For example: the weirdness of the salad scene. Maybe they just said, "Let's just have him sit there and eat a salad!" Who knows? I actually laughed at that scene because it was so ridiculous. Now I wonder if that's the whole point!

I was confused about the women with mustaches at first, but I think I get the joke now: they are called the "Senor-itas." "Senor" refers to a man in Spanish, and "ita" is a feminine suffix. Only Bono could come up with that kind of totally-lame-yet-funny type of joke. :lol: :rolleyes:

Also, the motorcycle's license plate said "N LOTH."

My concluding thought after the film ended: "Europeans are so weird!" :wink:

:lol: yeah, i think they might have just put weird things in just to torture us and make us overanalyze, when there's actually nothing there!! :D

:lol: yeah, i think they might have just put weird things in just to torture us and make us overanalyze, when there's actually nothing there!! :D

Yeah, like in Linear, Edge is playing a telecaster on Magnificent, but in all the live versions so far, he's played a Gretsch. Makes you think they're just fucking with us. :D

:ohmy:
:doh:
:lmao:

i actually adore it. gave me a new, cleaner reading of the album. and visually, it's pretty cool.

the only part that doesn't 100% sync for me is fez-bb. but, the whole salad thing is such an interesting stylistic choice that I think (since he filmed it for an earlier version of the album) that I would love to hear how that song used to sound.

I am just watching it now for the first time, had to interrupt halfway through to make a phonecall and do the laundry, but so far I am really liking it, I didn't expect much after the many comments I've read here, but so far it's better than I thought. I totally love the poetic atomosphere about it, the slowness, the beautiful landscape shots, and I think the music fits very well. The only thing I'm confused about right now is F-BB, because they used the only song that clearly refers to the bike journey to show the guy eating :huh:
What's that all about?

Well, to add something: I found the White as snow episode really beautiful, also MOS, and GOYB made me laugh out loud, but I didn't find it terrible. I also think I like Winter more now. :)

The film is appropriate in that it does not try to overshadow the actual music. Simply put together yet powerful nevertheless...

Not only is SUC my least favorite song on the album...but the video is pretty much unwatchable as well...who would remotely be amused by a highway strip being reflected off a motorcycle for four minutes?

There's some other ones...Breathe starts out interesting and then the burning of the motorcycle becomes a bit tedious...good fit for the song though. Also, I really dislike the intro with Unknown Caller...it just gives me a headache and I don't think the images are all that fascinating.

I love the FEZ clip. Think of the urgency of the song occurring within the guy's mind as he's easting that salad...there's a universe going on in our head at any given time. You can be sitting at a desk reading and suddenly nearly want to kill yourself while you could be bungee jumping off landmark bridges and not skip a heartbeat. It's the internal that directs our lives and how we really enjoy them.

Magnificent is great and would work fine as a promotional video. People that like the song would watch it on YouTube anyway while VH1 plays videos late at night/early morning, so I doubt too many will change the channel just because there isn't much going on, it's a cool clip.

Regardless of whether or not the GOYB video is a poorly formed joke or has some deeper inherent meaning, I absolutely applaud Corbijn for going full-on with the sensual route, choosing the most erotic and evocative shots imaginable without wincing once from embarrassment. Even cooler that the band went along with it.

Take away the mustaches, and this GOYB promo would've been a magnet on television with lots of U2 non-fans tuning in for the beautiful women. :love:

Well, to add something: I found the White as snow episode really beautiful

you just liked it cus dude took his shirt off :wink:

Not only is SUC my least favorite song on the album...but the video is pretty much unwatchable as well...who would remotely be amused by a highway strip being reflected off a motorcycle for four minutes?

really? I actually thought that was the most interesting use of the traveling themes, the reflection was cool I thought...

i dunno, im beginning to warm to the film, especially the women with moustaches in GOYB, there's something oddly seductive about it,,,, at first, i was like WTF ? now's like hang on,,,,,there's something there ....

The one time I've watched Linear I was sitting in my office with my headphones on unaware that my wife was stood behind me during GOYB. She looked pretty shocked when she asked me what the hell I was watching - thought I'd developed some twisted perversion. I don't think she sees U2 in quite the same light now. :D

The one time I've watched Linear I was sitting in my office with my headphones on unaware that my wife was stood behind me during GOYB. She looked pretty shocked when she asked me what the hell I was watching - thought I'd developed some twisted perversion. I don't think she sees U2 in quite the same light now. :D

haha!

No sir, didn't like it. :down:

Glad I didn't splurge for the DVD like I was thinking of doing.

I'm sure the only reason Larry approved was because it has motorcycles in it. As he said about Passengers, this film is very "art for art's sake" and not very creative art IMO.

I guess I'm most disappointed that Bono's lyrics provide a lot of imagery that I was expecting to see brought to the screen.

Sorry, but I don't think of eating salad when I hear "Being Born". :huh:

Back
Top Bottom