Linear (DISCUSSION ONLY)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe this has been covered already, but how do the songs appear on the DVD? are they in the same order as the album? and are they the same versions?

There were rumors that the songs that were to appear on the DVD were earlier versions from what we got on the album.

Just curious, thanks.

Maybe this has been covered already, but how do the songs appear on the DVD? are they in the same order as the album? and are they the same versions?

There were rumors that the songs that were to appear on the DVD were earlier versions from what we got on the album.

Just curious, thanks.

They're the same versions but in a different order, with Winter in place of IGCIIDGCT.

Wow... this movie is surprisingly boring. I adore Anton, all his videos.. and Control. But this is almost unwatchable. I mean, 3/4 of the song Breathe, we look at the burning motorcycle... and most of the movie is just the character's trip to Cadiz. No Anton-style camera work...I'm really sad now.. :sad:

I haven't seen it, but for those who are saying Linear is boring, keep in mind that IT'S NOT A MOVIE! It is motion cover art that you're supposed to be able to look at while listening to the music.

I haven't seen it, but for those who are saying Linear is boring, keep in mind that IT'S NOT A MOVIE! It is motion cover art that you're supposed to be able to look at while listening to the music.

Yeah.. but still. It has no mood... It's like watching Bela Tarr's Satantango (7:25h long movie). :|
It doesn't add anything to the music..

Yeah.. but still. It has no mood... It's like watching Bela Tarr's Satantango (7:25h long movie). :|
It doesn't add anything to the music..

i'd have to disagree. i haven't watched all of it yet, but even the opening adds a bunch to Unknown Caller.

i'd have to disagree. i haven't watched all of it yet, but even the opening adds a bunch to Unknown Caller.

The opening scene with UC is probably the best (though they could have used some more aerial/superfast shots through Paris like in the Stay vidclip. The MoS segment also works well. the others are quite humdrum.

There's no real ending unfortunately, which is what I was hoping for with something as mindlowing as Cedars as a closer....just him rowing, don't know if he ever finds the first love he was looking for....though I suppose our ignorance and the mystery is what Bono and Corbijn intended.

White As Snow scene :drool:

Magnificent scene :drool:

its interesting different reactions to it. i thought unknown caller was one of the worst. i did nothing for me.
mos is the only one out of the whole thing, that i got anything out of (and it was still pretty boring).

i guess what i really don't like, is a have very distinct images in my mind while listening to it. i don't want some stripper with a mustache or a burning motorcycle popping in my head when listening to the album.

wow--I am really shocked--even if this movie is amazing, it does not justify the $60+ price tag for the deluxe set--I am a little surprised. With that price tag, I was hoping for something really cool--The HTDAAB DVD is better, and that wasn't anything special.

let me tell you all right now, i thought it would be unwatchable, and it is in fact UNWATCHABLE!

just watched it. bouht the box set yesterday... the movie is pretty terrible. I dont mind arthouse films, but this is atrocious!

UC was entirely made up of shots of the paris streets from out of the side window of a car (supposed to be a bike), then breathe is 5 minutes of a bike burning, with a couple of camera angle changes, then winter is entirely the guy riding on a highway.

Wo this was bad!

Traditionally any project that piggybacks on U2 is terrible, i predict the spiderman musical will flop badly in this fashion. sorry bono and edge, but your reach only extends so far

just watched it. bouht the box set yesterday... the movie is pretty terrible. I dont mind arthouse films, but this is atrocious!

UC was entirely made up of shots of the paris streets from out of the side window of a car (supposed to be a bike), then breathe is 5 minutes of a bike burning, with a couple of camera angle changes, then winter is entirely the guy riding on a highway.

Wo this was bad!

The worst part was the Boots section - shudders-
And the Being Born segment was in a cafe? wha? Shouldn't it be the guy burning rubber on a coastal highway?

MoS had an okay segment though.

Anton Corbijn might be a great photographer, but he isn't much of a director

The clip around UC was linear. There are horizontal lines running across the whole clip.

Anton Corbijn might be a great photographer, but he isn't much of a director

Man, it kills me a little inside when you guys say that :( Anton has directed some of the best music videos around and is very well respected for his film work

It seems odd that they followed through releasing a film even though the whole concept of the album changed. Talk about putting the cart before the horse...

Well then he wasn't trying very hard when he made this was he?

:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:. You can always go watch a Steven Seagal movie or a movie made by Uwe Boll. With your tast they must be right up your alley:love::love:.

we'll never know, he made the movie in the summer of 2008 for a version of NLOTH the band gave him in May 2008, remember that

What does that have to do with having quite boring sequences in a film? It would just change the order of the songs between the film and the album, and any other small differences as a result of production changes.

:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:. You can always go watch a Steven Seagal movie or a movie made by Uwe Boll. With your tast they must be right up your alley:love::love:.

control was good. the guy has done a ton of crap as well. you can start pulling the 'you just don't understand good film' all you want, but anton has made one feature film, some good music video, and a ton of terrible ones. to act like he is some genius director is a little ridiculous.

the guy has made his career and reputation, for the most part, as a photographer. maybe he will continue to make films, and someday he will be known as a wonderful director. its simply not the case right now.

control was good. the guy has done a ton of crap as well. you can start pulling the 'you just don't understand good film' all you want, but anton has made one feature film, some good music video, and a ton of terrible ones. to act like he is some genius director is a little ridiculous.

the guy has made his career and reputation, for the most part, as a photographer. maybe he will continue to make films, and someday he will be known as a wonderful director. its simply not the case right now.

Also being a great photographer, doesn't automatically make you a great director. It is quite a different art. (and directing is harder)

so I'm getting the impression that I shouldn't buy the box set then?

Having graduated with an art degree I've seen my share of terrible artsy movies. I certainly don't need to see another one.

knowing what some of his music videos are like I gave this one a miss- judging by the reviews I'm pleased that I made that decision!

Back
Top Bottom