Lillywhite talks next project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While I do prefer No Net to ATYCLB and The Bomb, there are actually no songs I skip on either of the latter. But I can't stomach several moments on Crazy Tonight, so that gets the boot 9 times out of 10. Stand Up Comedy leaves me shaking my head, but I don't quite dislike it enough to skip.

I love every song on AB, Zooropa, Pop, and JT, and never skip anything on those.

I don't skip songs on pretty much any of their albums besides Pop (Miami) and ATYCLB (Wild Honey) and of course All Because of You that I just mentioned.

I still believe that Edge is mainly responsible for their lack of direction. He can't decide whether to "rawk" or to "chime" or to just simply be "sublime". Bono can't play a chord on anything (tho he does one-finger piano)...but he (for the most part) does his best with what's handed to him. When the Edge don't deliver...the Bono does suffer. Make that a bumper sticker.

I don't think they can have a "third masterpiece" unless the guitar player doesn't come up with something new.

I don't think they can have a "third masterpiece" unless the guitar player doesn't come up with something new.

There is a reason their best work is done in collaboration with Eno and Lanois.
You need more than 1.5 songwriters in any rock band.

It would be nice if, for once, you held the creative deadweight in the band (the rhythm section) as accountable as you hold Edge.

It's sort of like U.S. politics. The party of bad ideas vs the party of no ideas.
It's easy for the people not putting their creative nuts on the line to gripe about what's being offered by the people actually having enough guts (or talent) to do so. That's not excusing away bad ideas, that's saying the more ideas PERIOD and the more your odds go up.

U2 are handcuffed in that respect.
Zeppelin and the Beatles had 3 songwriters in their bands.
Pink Floyd as well. All members of Pearl Jam have written...the list goes on. Edge shouldn't get a free pass! I'm not saying that. I'm just saying, if you're going to blame Edge incessantly FOR YEARS, you might examine the situation with the Larry faction. :)

U2 has one musician and a singer who barely knows a few chords on the guitar and as far as coming up with musical ideas, that's about it.

And ON TOP OF THIS, it is the milquetoast attraction of Larry's taste that keeps U2 from really doing more adventurous things, musically. They have to all agree on some direction. And yes, Larry has surely saved U2 from themselves a time or five.

I don't blame Edge for using his signature delay.
I'm a U2 fan and U2 IS Bono's voice and Edge's delay.
His sound on Unknown Caller IS redundant. But not purely because of the tone of that guitar...but more so, IMO, because of what he is playing (the notes). Nobody complains when he plays something interesting with the exact same sound. People complain when you feel like you've heard it before. If the problem was the tone of that delay + reverb (etc.) then you'd be complaining about almost all of it.

I think Unknown Caller is a bad example to bring up to prove that point, if they've heard that before it wasn't from Edge but from the hymn "My Savior's Love" which Edge's solo is adapted from. Because, you know, he does that on every song.

and a singer who barely knows a few chords on the guitar and as far as coming up with musical ideas, that's about it.

According to several interviews this isn't exactly true. Bono may not be the best guitar player when it comes to playing and singing, but he's good enough that he's brought many ideas musically to the table.

But I agree with you about Adam and Larry.

Very good point that Edge shouldn't take total responsibility for the progress of the band.
I agree that what is played is more important than the effects that go with it. And it's true that Edge is most defined by that delay sound.

However, i think he is also very much defined (and... well, made awesome) by his exploration of sounds, and departure from that delay. That, for me, is why it would be nice to see him continue using new effects, and not relying on just the most classic.

According to several interviews this isn't exactly true. Bono may not be the best guitar player when it comes to playing and singing, but he's good enough that he's brought many ideas musically to the table.

Yeah, i've also heard about how much Bono has brought to the table, idea wise - not just lyrics, but melodies and whole song structures. It really surprised me, considering he apparently isn't that great on guitar.

the only thing i really know of for Adam is Miracle Drug. Bono said Adam came up with the chords and the sequence. He has probably done more.

Yeah, i've also heard about how much Bono has brought to the table, idea wise - not just lyrics, but melodies and whole song structures. It really surprised me, considering he apparently isn't that great on guitar.

Understanding theory, being creative and being a composer don't require virtuosic performance technique.

There is a reason their best work is done in collaboration with Eno and Lanois.
You need more than 1.5 songwriters in any rock band.

It would be nice if, for once, you held the creative deadweight in the band (the rhythm section) as accountable as you hold Edge.

It's sort of like U.S. politics. The party of bad ideas vs the party of no ideas.
It's easy for the people not putting their creative nuts on the line to gripe about what's being offered by the people actually having enough guts (or talent) to do so. That's not excusing away bad ideas, that's saying the more ideas PERIOD and the more your odds go up.

U2 are handcuffed in that respect.
Zeppelin and the Beatles had 3 songwriters in their bands.
Pink Floyd as well. All members of Pearl Jam have written...the list goes on. Edge shouldn't get a free pass! I'm not saying that. I'm just saying, if you're going to blame Edge incessantly FOR YEARS, you might examine the situation with the Larry faction. :)

U2 has one musician and a singer who barely knows a few chords on the guitar and as far as coming up with musical ideas, that's about it.

And ON TOP OF THIS, it is the milquetoast attraction of Larry's taste that keeps U2 from really doing more adventurous things, musically. They have to all agree on some direction. And yes, Larry has surely saved U2 from themselves a time or five.

I don't blame Edge for using his signature delay.
I'm a U2 fan and U2 IS Bono's voice and Edge's delay.
His sound on Unknown Caller IS redundant. But not purely because of the tone of that guitar...but more so, IMO, because of what he is playing (the notes). Nobody complains when he plays something interesting with the exact same sound. People complain when you feel like you've heard it before. If the problem was the tone of that delay + reverb (etc.) then you'd be complaining about almost all of it.

Those bands all had great songwriters.

U2 tends to plough through material until something clicks. All 4 contribute ideas (though I will agree Bono and Edge moreso than Larry and Adam, which is why they should, in accordance, share more of the blame for the material they write). The producer just speeds it up and keeps it a little more organised. Eno does provide ideas and loops/synth sounds, but it's still up to the band to write a song out of it.

And if we're blaming 1/4 of the band, and 1/4 of the vote FOR YEARS - and the drummer, of all members - then yes, by all means, let's hold the guitar player - and half of the songwriting team - accountable for repetitive tones and style of playing. Certainly the other half, the lyricist, got his fair share of the blame. The drummer approved of, and loved, the sessions in Morocco. As late as 2002, he said he loves Zooropa. And as far as I'm concerned the rhythm section was right in 2003 to delay Bomb.

I think the rhythm section is great on Magnificent, and I think Larry improved on NLOTH. Definitely Bono has improved. I pay less attention to bass players, but I've read Adam also has raised his game on NLOTH. (enjoyed MOS and Crazy on his part) I'm not seeing the need to blame him, as he never claimed to be a great songwriter or a virtuoso drummer. I don't think he or Adam ever had the lion's share in writing.

The landscapes and portrayal of America on JT didn't only work because of Bono's lyrics...Edge's guitar helped a lot. Similarly, it is his guitar that gives a little extra added value to the lyrics on AB. Or the aggressive playing that contributes to War lyrics.

I think he contributes a lot less (in terms of new guitar sounds) in this current era...and it shows. Consequently, everyone else has little exciting to work with in the first place. And this is a guitar player that used to change his sound on a regular basis. Not a guitar player who would stick with any given sound through all of his career.

Going back to Lillywhite, for some reason I had never heard the alternative takes of SYCMIOYO and ABOY...after hearing now, Lillywhite really saved them. The recordings sound so tired and wimpy. I've always like Native Son, but also, it sounds small...cheap. Who knows, maybe they were just never properly mastered, but Lillywhite did get them to rerecord stuff.

In a way, it would be interesting to hear a Lillywhite only album right now. Top to bottom, no other producers.

Two cents: Part of the reason U2 have stayed together so long is that they don't have the same level of creative songwriting juices flowing in all four members. One of the big reasons in the Beatles' demise, of course, was that they had 2.8 strong songwriters, with the 1, 1, and 0.8 all too strong-headed by the end. Each member of U2 plays his role, and while one or two have more prominent roles than the others, the success or failure of a song rests with the band as a whole. They were all there during the writing of JT and AB---they know what a masterpiece sounds like, and any of the four is equally able to point out when something sounds like crap.

the only thing i really know of for Adam is Miracle Drug. Bono said Adam came up with the chords and the sequence. He has probably done more.

Article/interview please? Adam is my favorite, and Miracle Drug is my favorite off HTDAAB! I like when the rest of the band praise his musicality

Two cents: Part of the reason U2 have stayed together so long is that they don't have the same level of creative songwriting juices flowing in all four members. One of the big reasons in the Beatles' demise, of course, was that they had 2.8 strong songwriters, with the 1, 1, and 0.8 all too strong-headed by the end. Each member of U2 plays his role, and while one or two have more prominent roles than the others, the success or failure of a song rests with the band as a whole. They were all there during the writing of JT and AB---they know what a masterpiece sounds like, and any of the four is equally able to point out when something sounds like crap.
I like this post :up:

Shoulda just let Ringo write everything

Article/interview please? Adam is my favorite, and Miracle Drug is my favorite off HTDAAB! I like when the rest of the band praise his musicality

it was in one of the additions of book put out by Niall Stokes. Miracle Drug was a song that came out of Lillywhite telling the guys they needed more songs.

cool, thanks! I found that page on google books. Hmm, I should check out this into the heart: the story behind every song" book.

Back
Top Bottom