Lights of Home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scorpionac

War Child
Thoughts on this song? I really like the confessional lyrics and the groove of the music, feels like Pop era to me. And the coda lifted from Iris is growing on me.

I like both mixes, so I thought I'd make a hybrid of the two. The first two verses and chorus are the St. Peter's String version, then switch to the album version until the coda, which is back to St. Peter's String. If you're interested, you can listen here: http://picosong.com/wFkwM

It sounds really modern and timely, yet something that could be of any era. And like you, I love both versions and would love to hear a mix. I will say that if you listen to the string version, it adds a real heaviness and urgency to it and you realize that Bono has some ferocity in his vocals. I didn't notice it in the regular version but it really comes across there. And I think it's the prefect 2nd song on the album.

An early standout. Some Led Zeppelin, some classic U2, and some Pink Floyd all mashed into one epic tune. Really loving it.

I love this song quite a bit. The album version all the way for me. The Edge’s solo is pretty sweet. 70s rock with a modern pop touch. Perfect. Heyyyyy Nowww!!!

It isn't a sample - Edge is playing the riff. But it is the same riff. And they are credited. And they perform on the song.

This is the definition of a non-issue.

Some artists use abstractions for inspiration - for this song, Edge heard a riff that inspired a song, and then kept it. No biggie. Not even a smallie.

Best song of the album for me. It may be too early to tell, but I will boldly claim it belongs to the pantheon of greatest U2 songs. Like sucker.punch said, it could be of any era, although it gives me strong Joshua Tree outtakes vibes (Wave of Sorrow anyone?). The verses, chorus, Edge's solo, unexpected outro - everything is fantastic. Hard to decide, but I think I like the String version more, which also flows great from Love Is All We Have Left, try it out.

The only downside of Lights of Home? It sits next to The Best Thing. I'm not a big critic of best thing, I actually like it and think it's just an ok song, but boy - it's a gap between these two. It's almost like putting Where The Streets Have No Name, Bad or some other U2 classic next to a generic Bon Jovi song. I will probably have to change the tracklist, because this order really ruins the magic for me.

One of my favourites. The last verse of 13 is the best singular moment of the album, but the almost choral-like "free yourself to be yourself"-ending of this song is a close second. It's ecstatic.

Interesting timing at the beginning and cool verses/chorus. To me it’s very very similar to Cedarwood Road, which is prob my favorite track off SOI. Not a yooge fan of the “free yourself” ending but it’s a’ight.

Back
Top Bottom