Letterman - Magnificent Performance (3/3/09)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And think about when they really get to play/practice the songs. I remember the early HTDAAB live performances being a bit rough.

Breath = better live

Magnificent = better live

can't wait to see UC and MOS live.... :drool:

Exactly - this is the sign of a great U2 album. HTDAAB left me slightly disappointed in this way. The songs were perfectly okay live, but not really transcendent, the way other albums' songs had been (Beautiful Day, Bad, Streets, WOWY, One, etc.)

I hope it's Crazy Tonight, a fun song that the public will like. Anyone else finding themselves shouting at the end of the chorus and the vocals before the bridge?

I hope it's Crazy Tonight, a fun song that the public will like. Anyone else finding themselves shouting at the end of the chorus and the vocals before the bridge?

It would make sense to do this song as I believe it is a potential single.

That leaves Thursday as the "wild card". I prefer "Stand Up Comedy" a lot, but knowing U2, I'm betting we'll heard "Moment of Surrender". They seem to like those bluesy type songs.

What I think is cool is the number of different songs that U2 fans would like to hear tonight and Thursday night!:drool:

My guess is Crazy Tonight (if the statement of its taping is true), NLOTH (duh... title track, and it rocks ala studio rehearsal), and Boots.

Unknown Caller is a no; not accessible on first listen.
MOS is a no; they haven't cut it down yet most likely, and it's too long for such a small timeslot.
Stand Up Comedy is a no; hasn't been played live anywhere yet, as far as I know, and it's riff rock ala Boots.
The rest need no explanation.

I could see Unknown Caller going over well, but there's no way they've nailed down the group chanting yet, which would necessitate at LEAST Larry, Edge, and Bono all singing together.

Here's what we seem to have so far:

Monday - Breathe

Tuesday - Magnificent

Wednesday - Crazy Tonight (pretty much confirmed according to some people who were there today)

Thursday - ???? (NLOTH is my guess)

Friday - GOYB (already confirmed by multiple official sources)

Pretty bad ass week if you ask me

My guess was Crazy Tonight for Wednesday.

Thursday, I'm hoping for a bit of a throwback medley...maybe Bad and Streets or Beautiful Day or One.

Friday, probably Sexy Boots...unfortunately.

ha thanks! it was quite the day yesterday. i went with my sister, we were stuck in traffic getting through Hartford for 40 minutes, usually takes literally 5-10 minutes, so we said ah shit, this sucks. missed the first train from Greenwich (CT), but got into grand central around 12:04, walked to Broadway, noticed the podium and the NYC Dept. of Transportation sign above 53rd ST. and said, no way, they're going to have a press conference for the U2 way?? We had read about it on Monday night. So we huddle up on the side there and they allow a certain number of people in front of the podium, and we got to be one of them. so we were like 5 feet away from them...granted, it was fucking cold standing outside for an hour and half! then we went to get our letterman tickets, then to eat lunch. they told us to be outside of Roseland (theatre across the street to line everybody up in) between 3 and 3:30. Notice some gates set up, Adam, Larry and Edge roll in in a black SUV, get out and go inside, didn't sign anything just waved. Next car comes, it's Bono, he gets out, signs a few things, walks past me asking for an autograph to somebody else but because I had a book (Bono in Conversation) he smirked when he saw it, came back and signed it, and crossed out "Bono" on the title page and replaced it with a huge autograph of him. Then we got to go Letterman which was okay :wink: when U2 came on we wanted to jump out of our seats, which we basically did, but then the world wide pants people came over and said you HAVE to sit!!!! so we were forced to sit...though the performance was fucking awesome and it was a great time. lame production people though, very lame. I heard a few of them muttering while we were all walking in "I don't want to deal with THESE people today..." okay, well, don't have U2 on your show for a week straight then, jackass.

that is all for my really long run on paragraph. Oh and we met Dallas Schoo after the show for a minute. He went to go buy chocolate for U2 apparently and my sister was like, We like the way the guitars sound!! haha. he said thanks and smiled and said its a great record isnt it? truly amazing and then gave her some candy, lol.

Wow . Sounds like an amazing day .:applaud:

I don't get why Letterman's people wouldn't let you stand . :huh:

that's where i stand too at the moment.

Surprisingly, I've come around on the lyrics and chorus....my problem is the mixing.

I wish they pushed Adam's bassline to the forefront and left Edge's chingy guitars to the back for a change. Its such a great bassline. The drums are great, but the bassline would be better served in the forefront. Imagine what would have happened to Magnificent if they pushed Adam into the background as opposed to featuring him more towards the front? That song would have lost all of its power.

I guess they wanted to go for the more "sugary" sound as opposed to something else.

Maybe they'll fix that in the live version. who knows?

Surprisingly, I've come around on the lyrics and chorus....my problem is the mixing.

I wish they pushed Adam's bassline to the forefront and left Edge's chingy guitars to the back for a change. Its such a great bassline. The drums are great, but the bassline would be better served in the forefront. Imagine what would have happened to Magnificent if they pushed Adam into the background as opposed to featuring him more towards the front? That song would have lost all of its power.

I guess they wanted to go for the more "sugary" sound as opposed to something else.

Maybe they'll fix that in the live version. who knows?

totally. with all that said, the 3:00 minute mark is pure gold. :drool:

I'm also banking on NLOTH. It's a really cool Bono vocal, pretty memorable with the whole "whoa-oh-oh-ohoh!"s. Plus it's the title track. Not to mention they have already taken a crack at it live before, so all they need to do is add a few backing layers of noise to recreate the album sound (the one stripped down version they did for that show didn't punch as hard as the real one) and they're good to go.

Back
Top Bottom