Letterman - Magnificent Performance (3/3/09)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds better than the album version, imo. I'm glad Edge replaced some of the annoying eighties-synth-effects by guitar parts.
(Just like he plays the cello-part in the live version of Breathe, I'm not big a fan of backing tracks... but that's an old discussion )

Not bad.
Worse than the BBC rooftop performance, and not a patch on the album version.

Bono's voice was pretty rough and off-key in many places.

Great performance. BUT...although that's a really HARD song to sing (and wonder how it will happen night in/out) he is obviously struggling with it...he's off pitch several times and has to go into falsetto to mask it. Still some huge pipes though...

Yep, it's clear Bono is struggling. I wonder how he wants to pull it off regularly when on tour. But I think that a. He is a little out of practise and has to get used to singing frequently again and b. It's the stress right now, they still have to get used to it again.

I think most of the new songs are difficult for him to sing.

Does anyone have any guesses as to Bono's reply to Dave when he said, "You guys should do this for a living"?

Bono quipped something back immediately, but it is pretty inaudible. Reading lips, I thought Bono's last word was "dream" - maybe something like "We're living a dream" or something similar??

Magnificent totally kicked ass live! Same with Breathe the night before. Would kill to hear MOS live tonight!!!! B'man's voice was a little rough in a few places but hey, it was still MAGNIFICENT!!! These songs are really growing on me.

Yeah, Bono was a little ragged last night, but it didn't really seem to matter, for me the performance was pure adrenaline from start to finish.

I do think Bono is a more inconsistent singer these days though, I thought he sounded superb on the BBC rooftop performance, but that he struggled through the Jonathan Ross appearance. On Monday, I thought he did brilliantly with Breathe, but was a little off again last night for Magnificent.

I think the tour will probably follow a similiar theme, not that I mind, as long as we still get some quality shows.

Yep, it's clear Bono is struggling. I wonder how he wants to pull it off regularly when on tour. But I think that a. He is a little out of practise and has to get used to singing frequently again and b. It's the stress right now, they still have to get used to it again.

I think most of the new songs are difficult for him to sing.

yeah, i did notice this. a couple things to consider though:

- they were outside in very cold weather for a good period yesterday afternoon.

- they've been doing a lot of interviews lately. i know personally, having done a lot of speeches at work, that talking can sometimes wear your voice out as much as singing.

- from what i've heard, the Ed Sullivan Theater is generally very dry and cold.

I said this in the other thread...this song is AMAZING, I love it.

When they take it to tour, though, I hope they play the full (or even an extended) intro, and also, I think it needs to speed up by 10 BPM or so...make it even more danceable..

:up: :up:

- they were outside in very cold weather for a good period yesterday afternoon.

Considering they will be playing stadiums in what could be dodgy conditions, that could be a problem.

Of course, Bono always sounds best quite a bit into the tour.

:wave:

Audio...

U2_Magnificent_03-03-2009_Letterman_Show.*mp3, http://www.send space.com/file/e5mo6z (8mb)

Flash video...

U2_Sketch_02-03-2009_Letterman.flv http://www.send space.com/file/g4ovhw (17mb, encoded from HD video)

U2_Magnificent_03-03-2009_Letterman.flv http://www.send space.com/file/dl955x (43mb, encoded from HD video)

HD video...

Sketch #1

http://www.u2torrents.com/torrents-details.php?id=4521

Magnificent performance

http://www.u2torrents.com/torrents-details.php?id=4522 Sample screencap (1920x1080)

Once again, thank you!! :bow:

You don't happen to have an mp3 of Breathe from the day before (one without Dave talking at the start and end)?
I took the audio off the youtube link but I don't know how to cut it :reject:

what I found interesting was how Bono's voice really surged in the last 45 secs on the performance. Like, stopped being kinda iffy and started belting that shit. Maybe he just needs to get down to business a little quicker.

I think he always lacks confidence when it's new and he barely has the lyrics down let alone how to sing them.

"A voice shot through with self doubt" I think Springsteen said best.

I cant belive he is pretty much remembering all the lyrics :ohmy:,

and personally thought he sounded quite good, rough in some places but overall pretty great imo.

I don't like the falsetto bits right before Edge's solo. Bono did that on BBC and on Letterman. If I were Bono's best friend, here's what I'd say: If you can't hit that one single note every live performance, who cares Bono? Get over it. Don't try. It makes the studio version that much better. You modified some high notes for COBL, and it worked beautifully. It's like you can't let it go. Let it go, and move out of the way so Edge take the stage for a second and have a true solo. Your attempts to hit that one note take away from Edge's solo. Let it go.:huh:

Another 5 star performance in my book. I bet most the people watching are blown away by the new material. Again, it would be awesome if they just play new stuff.

Another 5 star performance in my book. I bet most the people watching are blown away by the new material. Again, it would be awesome if they just play new stuff.

i agree. i don't know how much they're rehearsing, but imagine if they busted out Moment Of Surrender or Unknown Caller tonight. :drool:

I though it was a good preformance--and they are only going to get better. I mean how many times have they played these new songs? Probably not as much as we would think, and once they start to play them more and 'find the way' around the song--I think they'll just get better and better. This song def. has "opener" written all over it!

Including me! It was a blast - loads of U2 fans in there - the applause must have been loud because I couldn't hear a word Dave was saying to the camera at the very end.

really? yes applause was loud at the end yes because i couldn't hear what he was saying either, but I didn't feel like there were loads of HUGE U2 fans in there. I felt most of the people were like "yeah, hey, cool U2 i know them they're pretty good." I did meet quite a few of huge U2 nuts in the line though, so they were there, i just don't know if it were loads.

also like I said last night, the world wide pants people are as lame as it gets

Does anyone know if Artie Lang said anything about U2 on Stern this morning? Artie is a pretty big music fan but mostly just talks about classic rock bands.

I think its possible U2 play MOS or UC with the downtime they have in NY. I'm sure they have the time to rehearse.

the last weeks has been busy for Bono, alot of interviews, singing outdoor.. That isnt good for the voice... Also that he is a bit nervous because that havent learned playing/singing the songs 100%. He seems to have a few problems on the low singing, but he is great on the high notes.

I think his voice will be more stable a few weeks in the tour, the only thing that worries me is that the whole tour seems to be outdoor wich isnt the best for him due to allergies, heavier air... Just remember 2nd leg Vertigo wich was outdoors and he didnt sing on that leg like he did on 1st and 3rd.

really? yes applause was loud at the end yes because i couldn't hear what he was saying either, but I didn't feel like there were loads of HUGE U2 fans in there. I felt most of the people were like "yeah, hey, cool U2 i know them they're pretty good." I did meet quite a few of huge U2 nuts in the line though, so they were there, i just don't know if it were loads.

also like I said last night, the world wide pants people are as lame as it gets

hey, congrats on getting in! that's awesome! :)

Back
Top Bottom