Let's get the lyrics the lead single for the *upcoming album* going!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably the Lead Single is called Save the African Population or We're back on the Road again baby. Both sound nice.

I want to take your soul higher and higher
You gave me an unforgettable fire

These lyric jokes are almost as lame and tired as those in the Rush Hour 3 trailer.

...almost.

No mention yet of some of Bono's lyrical fallbacks:

- Tortured skies, possibly ripped by bullets
- References to hard drugs / addiction concealed in pretty phrases (eg Bad, Running To Stand Still)
- Tearing down all sorts of walls
- Random stuff thrown in to fit the rhyme scheme (eg "my own voice" / "intellectual tortoise" from All Because Of You, or Elevation's entire lyric)
- Trying to fit an album title in somewhere if possible, however tenuously. (It doesn't even have to be the current album either - such as "rattle and hum" from JT's Bullet The Blue Sky, "under a blood red sky", or Fast Cars, which nearly manages the full HTDAAB title).
- Indeterminate themes that are applicable to all sorts of situations (Streets is said to refer to Nicaragua, Africa, and / or N Ireland)
- Obsessing about dangerous, unattainable women (most of the Achtung Baby songs)
- Doubts and ambiguity about whether U2 like America or not.
- Generally, phrases that sound good / 'poetic' as long as you don't analyse them too closely - what does "I can't live with or without you" actually mean, other than a presumably explaining why a relationship is doomed to fail?

All of this is of course meant light-heartedly. At his best, Bono is an excellent, compassionate, lyricist. When he's pushed for time, he resorts to cliches, or 'borrowing' from the Bible (eg "40").

The_Edge89 said:
Chorus From Untitled Demo Currently Being Worked On: (16th April 2007)

"Elvis on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel
No stopping at the stations
On the way to the cross"

http://www.u2newzooland.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2830

What's this I wonder...It doesn't give a source or anything.

Um, let's remember some U2 news sites actually reported Stop(the Poverty) as a real song, which was just a poor attempted of a joke by a member here.

Last edited:
Morgoth321 said:
No mention yet of some of Bono's lyrical fallbacks:

- Tortured skies, possibly ripped by bullets
- References to hard drugs / addiction concealed in pretty phrases (eg Bad, Running To Stand Still)
- Tearing down all sorts of walls
- Random stuff thrown in to fit the rhyme scheme (eg "my own voice" / "intellectual tortoise" from All Because Of You, or Elevation's entire lyric)
- Trying to fit an album title in somewhere if possible, however tenuously. (It doesn't even have to be the current album either - such as "rattle and hum" from JT's Bullet The Blue Sky, "under a blood red sky", or Fast Cars, which nearly manages the full HTDAAB title).
- Indeterminate themes that are applicable to all sorts of situations (Streets is said to refer to Nicaragua, Africa, and / or N Ireland)
- Obsessing about dangerous, unattainable women (most of the Achtung Baby songs)
- Doubts and ambiguity about whether U2 like America or not.
- Generally, phrases that sound good / 'poetic' as long as you don't analyse them too closely - what does "I can't live with or without you" actually mean, other than a presumably explaining why a relationship is doomed to fail?

All of this is of course meant light-heartedly. At his best, Bono is an excellent, compassionate, lyricist. When he's pushed for time, he resorts to cliches, or 'borrowing' from the Bible (eg "40").

Bono's borrowing from the bible has nothing to do with being pushed for time, Bible references appear in almost all of U2's songs, that's what makes Bono special as a songwriter, the lyrics are almost always open to interpretation and have at least double meanings, like a spiritual and a more profane dimension.

I think that in your post you are being quite cynical about a lot of things that most fans love about U2's songs, the things that make Bono's songwriting special.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Um, let's remember some U2 news sites actually reported Stop(the Poverty) as a real song, which was just a poor attempted of a joke by a member here.

On the contrary it was a hilarious joke. But only because it got picked up by the u2 news wires.

last unicorn said:

Bono's borrowing from the bible has nothing to do with being pushed for time, Bible references appear in almost all of U2's songs, that's what makes Bono special as a songwriter, the lyrics are almost always open to interpretation and have at least double meanings, like a spiritual and a more profane dimension.

I think that in your post you are being quite cynical about a lot of things that most fans love about U2's songs, the things that make Bono's songwriting special.

This is meant to be a humorous thread, and I did also state that I consider Bono to be an excellent and compassionate lyricist. The specific example of "40" was given because the band threw the song together at the end of the recording sessions for 'War', with the lyrics for that song largely based around a biblical psalm. The tone of my post was meant to be in keeping with the general theme of this thread. I probably should've just said "Edge is on fire" or "why don't they do a song called 'It's a musical journey'?".

Lets Boogy
Lets Boogy
Lets do it all night long

its groovy
its groovy
untill the night grows old

Come on baby let me show you
show you you how its done

time too boogy all night long.

Well according to PLEBA one of the songs consists of the line "do you have my number" repeated several times.
I know the lyrics to that whole song:

Do you have my number
the number to my soul
the number that brings me to my knees
When the night is dark as coal

Do you have my number
It will set you free
And we can be together
If you say that you need me

Do you have my number
So you can take me higher (into..the..sky..[falsetto background])
Penelope baby
I'm caught up in your mire
you light my heart on fire (like..the..edge [falsetto background])
I will endure your ire
Can we have a cease fire?
For you I'd climb a spiar
I would crawl through briars
For you I will aspire
I want to cross our wires
To be your frequent flier
To bed we should retire
It's you that I desire
It's you that I admire
It's you that I require
I promise I won't misfire
ah ah aaaaah
ah aaaaaaah
ah
ah
For my number you must enquire
ah ah aaaaah
ah aaaaaaah
Do you have my number?

The ending is really magical and bad like, with the rhymes just building on eachother, it's so moving.

You heard it here first. However, there was one line that to be cut before production began. Betcha can't guess which.

The second verse makes it so obvious that the whole song is a religious reference, BTW.

Last edited:
"..I want to suck on your musical titties,
sick o' you making me kneel like no kitties,
i be re-arrangin' your national debt-ass thong,
while deep kissing on my ole african bong..."

U2 'I Be Down With That Sh*t'

Modern Rock chart No.1
Mainstream Rock chart No. 3

Back
Top Bottom