Larry speaks about new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2DMfan

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Thought it should have its own thread.

Mullen reveals new U2 album details - RT� Ten

Speaking about U2's first album since No Line on the Horizon four years ago, he said: "I'd say we will be finished by the summer - and hopefully we will have something released by September.

"Hopefully what we will be able to do is release September this year and shortly afterwards, release again. That's what we want to do.

"We are working with [producer] Brian Barton at the moment of Dangermouse, no will.i.am is not there, just Mister Mouse!

"We have been working for the last couple of years mostly in Ireland which has been great, we have been here for a long period of time. There's lots of music which is great."

Mullen also spoke about own personal projects, outside of being the drummer of one of the world's biggest bands: "I have spent 30 years sitting behind something...looking at men's arses!

"I've enjoyed it and it's been great but I looked at Bono and Edge in particular when he went to Broadway, I kind of felt you know I'm not punching high enough.

"I need to actually move out of this place and actually do other things, and have different conversations and sit at different tables, because everybody else was, except me."

Mullen also spoke to Fanning about how he embarked on an acting career. In 2011 he filmed the remake of Man on a Train alongside Donald Sutherland, which will be screened in the IFI tomorrow night, Friday, January 11.

He said: "I just took the ball and ran with it.

"I met Donald Sutherland the day before and at 6am the next morning and there we were doing it.

"Failure wasn't an option."

On working the legendary actor, Sutherland, he said: "You are standing there and this is the guy from Don't Look [Now], Klute and Mash. I just threw myself into it"

Mullen will also appear alongside Maria Doyle Kennedy in the new film A Thousand Times Good Night and he also has a wish list of directors he would like to work with: "When I see the Coen Brothers films, and I don't say this in an arrogant way, but I always think I know I could work with these guys, I know they'd get me, they do something that I really like.

"I'd love to work with Danny Boyle and I'd love to work with Quentin Tarantino but that's a pretty high aspiration but that's what I'd like to do."

Listen to the full interview with Larry Mullen on The Dave Fanning Show on RTÉ 2fm this Saturday, January from 10am until 12pm.

There are not enough of these :drool: to describe how great the 2nd half of 2013 and 2014 will be if we get album (s) and a tour! It's not like they've been sitting on the arses and I'm glad Larry has been exploring bc they know they don't want to oversaturate the market with U2, but at the same time, they ain't getting any younger either! Hopefully the breaks will allow a re-charge! :hyper:

I have to say this sounds pretty promising. If anyone saw U2 in 2011 you could see they were on top of their game. The 2 Anaheim shows I saw were some of the best U2 concerts I've been too. I'm hoping that energy carried over to some awesome tunes.

And the Danger Mouse rumors started around the Rose Bowl show so they have to have a ton of material somewhat ready to go. Hopeful wishing I know but at least we can get excited about something. :up:

They've been with DM for a good 3 years now - I'm really hoping that they are carrying on until September because a) the sales cycle will carry into Xmas and b) the second release is being prepared with DM as well.

It looks like they are following the Green Day release pattern - spread the best songs accross the two discs, release two singles per album, and albums 2-3 months apart.

That would mean new single some time in August, album a month later (with 2nd single to follow that a few weeks later), maybe a third just before Xmas and drop the next album in early Feb along with a new single from it. Then a new single to start a tour in May?

It looks like they are following the Green Day release pattern - spread the best songs accross the two discs, release two singles per album, and albums 2-3 months apart.
Let's hope the quality's a bit higher.

Larry said:
Hopefully what we will be able to do is release September this year and shortly afterwards, release again. That's what we want to do.

How often have we heard this sort of thing? I'll believe it when it happens.

Here's hoping the songs are nothing we've already heard. Let those songs we've already heard please be b-sides....

But this is Larry. This isn't Bono, or even Edge. It's Larry.

So what?

We used to consider anybody who wasn't Bono reliable, around 2003 or so. That's long since proven to be nonsense. All the band are good at hyperbole when they want to be.

EBW needs some sort of release though. Happy with it being a b-side or one track in part of a two album release over 6 months

Best case scenario: they release Every Breaking Wave, North Star, Return of the Sting Ray Guitar or whatever it was called, Glastonbury, and Mercy, and anything else I may have missed that they debuted on the last tour as b-sides, and don't waste album slots on things we're already familiar with.

Best case scenario: they release Every Breaking Wave, North Star, Return of the Sting Ray Guitar or whatever it was called, Glastonbury, and Mercy, and anything else I may have missed that they debuted on the last tour as b-sides, and don't waste album slots on things we're already familiar with.

Agreed. i am just not holding out hope for b sides if there will be two albums

Oh, I don't think there will be two albums. I guess that's the difference.

So we have Bono saying that they only have 6 songs ready, and that he's just hoping to get 10 good ones.

Then a week later Larry is promising MULTIPLE albums, the first of which to be released in EIGHT months.

WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING???

funny, he doesn't say they'll necessarily release an album in September.. just "something". and then "something" again shortly later..

maybe some EPs?

one -off single in September, followed by different album the following Spring?

:hmm:

So we have Bono saying that they only have 6 songs ready, and that he's just hoping to get 10 good ones.

Then a week later Larry is promising MULTIPLE albums, the first of which to be released in EIGHT months.

WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING???

Bono never actually explicitly said that. he said acting like they have 10 reasons to exist when they have 6.

May not necessarily been referring to songs. Or he could have been delibrately obtuse given that it seems DM or the band have pretty much gagged him of late.

2 x U2 members being interviewed re the new album recently though, it sounds like THEY are trying to start the hype machine.

I'm a cynical 30 year old man. I have a wife, a son, another baby due in July, mortgage, career, medical bills, a decreasing social life and minimal time for hobbies and interests. Though I have a happy life, I am very much a grown up, and that comes with a touch of jaded-ness.....

...But I'll be damned if part of me still doesn't get excited when I hear rumors of an upcoming U2 album. I became a U2 fan at the age of 13 in the summer of 1995. That wait until March of 1997 was BRUTAL! But I'll never forget how happy I was the first time I heard Discotheque on the radio, and I scrambled to find a blank tape to throw into my stereo so I could record it. And on that fateful day, I made my Mom drive me to the local record store (RIP) so I could buy POP. I still can tap into that level of excitement when I need to!!

funny, he doesn't say they'll necessarily release an album in September.. just "something". and then "something" again shortly later..

maybe some EPs?

one -off single in September, followed by different album the following Spring?

:hmm:

The Best Of 2000-05 followed by The Best Of 2006-10 :wink:

2 x U2 members being interviewed re the new album recently though, it sounds like THEY are trying to start the hype machine.

Was this an interview for Larry to hype a new album, or for Larry to talk about acting?

But regardless, Larry and Bono both giving interviews like this does seem to bode well.

I'm not so sure we'll get two albums, but I'm relatively confident that we will get at least one.

Back
Top Bottom