Larry speaks about new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While yes, it isn't likely that we will get 2 albums, the mere fact that it was larry who suggested it, and the amount of time taken has to mean it is at worst a slim possibility?

Anything is a slim possibility.

The band dying in a plane crash before we hear any of this shit is a "slim possibility."

Me having sex with Emma Watson is a "slim possibility."

Who gives a fuck about a slim possibility?

Anything is a slim possibility.

The band dying in a plane crash before we hear any of this shit is a "slim possibility."

Me having sex with Emma Watson is a "slim possibility."

Who gives a fuck about a slim possibility?

If we're done with the semantic garbage and if anyone would like to take my comment in the spirit it was intended, that would be fine too?

While yes, it isn't likely that we will get 2 albums, the mere fact that it was larry who suggested it, and the amount of time taken has to mean it is at worst a slim possibility?

I think what's interesting - beyond larry claiming this, which is pretty cool - is that it's an idea he's suggesting well in advance of any album release.

It seems to me, songs of ascent was kind of an after thought, something bono just kind of thought up and ran his mouth off on. Every breaking wave didn't make it on the album, so within the month of NLOTH's release, bono was like "oh yeah, we're gonna release that too... hell, we'll have a whole follow up album while we're at it!"

(worth also mentioning that when interviewers brought up songs of ascent to larry and edge, they seemed to have no idea what it was)

Strikes me now that songs of ascent was an opportunistic idea bono had, whilst caught up in the excitement and ambition of NLOTH's release.

In contrast, this is an idea larry is giving 8 months in advance of an album at least. So sure, a lot could change in that time (i'm of the opinion that more than 1 album is way too optimistic), but larry's idea of 2 releases seems more pre-planned (and thus, perhaps relatively more likely) than the naively opportunistic attempt to release songs of ascent.

So what?

We used to consider anybody who wasn't Bono reliable, around 2003 or so. That's long since proven to be nonsense. All the band are good at hyperbole when they want to be.

This. Remember when Paul said an album would be out in June 2010?

I'm not going to deny it, after reading what Larry had to say in the OP I got pretty excited.

I expect that a new album will come out in November, and that the next new album after that will come out in November 2017 or November 2018. I do think that there is a small possibility that the new album will be released in September and/or that another new album will be released within a year of it.

I expect that a new album will come out in November, and that the next new album after that will come out in November 2017 or November 2018. I do think that there is a small possibility that the new album will be released in September and/or that another new album will be released within a year of it.

This pretty much sums up my feeling. The last sentence has weight given that it is Larry saying it, but that doesn't completely overrule the fact that it is u2 we are talking about.

It has no weight whatsoever to me. They haven't finished recording, it's not even sure if they finished writing, and I'm pretty sure they have a lot of studio work to do before they even start to seriously consider how and when will they release new material.

If we're done with the semantic garbage and if anyone would like to take my comment in the spirit it was intended, that would be fine too?

I'm with ya.

But remember where you are.

People here have listed U2 as one of their most "dreaded" albums of 2013.

Imagine doubling the dread?

That's a rather large bit of dread to deal with.

I'm with ya.

But remember where you are.

People here have listed U2 as one of their most "dreaded" albums of 2013.

Imagine doubling the dread?

That's a rather large bit of dread to deal with.

I seem to recall the 'dread argument' and it was you nitpicking the word 'dread' and not taking a statement in the way it was clearly intended by the OP?

The more I think about it, the more I really doubt that we'll get two albums, unless they are making them all at once like Lord of the Rings. They have been working for a long time without anyone really knowing what's going on, and band members (and Danger Mouse) have been vague and evasive when asked about the new album. Until now.

I remember when NLOTH and HTDAAB got delayed, which makes me a little hesitant to believe that an album will really be out by September, and I certainly haven't forgotten the SOA talk in late 2009, and 2010, and 2011... It's like the boy who cried wolf; we've heard about it many times and it's always been a false alarm. If it was Bono saying this, I wouldn't be as quick to believe it, but Larry...

I seem to recall the 'dread argument' and it was you nitpicking the word 'dread' and not taking a statement in the way it was clearly intended by the OP?

Oh shit, not this again. I dread another argument about 'dread'.

I also look forward to dreading two new U2 albums and Schloop-a-loop's thoughts on them.

I don't care if there won't actually be 2 albums, I want 1 U2 album in fall 2013 with more than 10 song and a tour sometime in 2014. If another album comes in 2014, I'm more than fine with that. It's sad to see negativity taking over again in this forum. I have been waiting for this news for so long and I'm really excited and want to know more, but since I'm trying to stay positive and hopeful, I don't think I want to discuss any of these things here in the forum anymore, which is sad because it should be the place to discuss it.

I'm always going for the half-full option. As long as there isn't any clear sign or statement that goes against it, I decide to stick to what Larry is saying here.

And no, Bono didn't talk about "Six songs", that's a media (and fan) misconception.

Our best chance of ever getting 2 new U2 releases within a year of each other is definitely when the band talks about this as a possibility before they release an album, instead of when they are promoting an album and preparing a 2 year tour.
Still doesn't mean it's more than 5% likely, but at least that's more than the 0.02% we usually have.

50 recorded songs, new album in 2010, this could be our best record evah etc etc.

I'm only excited when I have the disc in my hands and it's quality (so no North Stars, no Every Breaking Waves, no Glastonbury's, no Mercy's, no Pride remixes). Call me negative or whatever, but yeah I'm not very excited by now.

All I'm saying is when they're dead someone better dig up the 800 other songs on 40 albums, b-sides, and unfinished works that have been promised.

I think we expected October 2013 after the end of the tour words and stuff...

So this seems right on time. So does claiming two releases. I suppose that's carefulness such that they can claim two albums or they can claim a single and an album as being two 'releases.'

All I'm saying is when they're dead someone better dig up the 800 other songs on 40 albums, b-sides, and unfinished works that have been promised.

I think we expected October 2013 after the end of the tour words and stuff...

So this seems right on time. So does claiming two releases. I suppose that's carefulness such that they can claim two albums or they can claim a single and an album as being two 'releases.'

This is why I have a hit out on Bono. I'm sick of waiting for these songs.

Note Larry say's 'Something released in September'

Also, 'what we'd like to do is release in September & shortly afterwards'

U2 like to be at the forefront of technology, McGuine$$ doesn't like music piracy & there have been 'rumours' of a U2 type app. Its also a business.

I'd like to speculate that there will be a physical CD,LP etc release secondly, but this will be some form of a digital app whereby the music is only available on the app first linked with an itunes single.

funny, he doesn't say they'll necessarily release an album in September.. just "something". and then "something" again shortly later..

maybe some EPs?

one -off single in September, followed by different album the following Spring?

:hmm:

The September "something" seems to be Danger Mouse album.

Could be two EPs and one comes out in September. Maybe with Danger Mouse, we're getting a first double U2 album. Or Danger Mouse first and SOA later.

It's interesting to hear them talk of a second release this far ahead. It's even more interesting everyone else (ie Bono) is very hush hush on Danger Mouse sessions, let alone two releases.

Note Larry say's 'Something released in September'

Also, 'what we'd like to do is release in September & shortly afterwards'

U2 like to be at the forefront of technology, McGuine$$ doesn't like music piracy & there have been 'rumours' of a U2 type app. Its also a business.

I'd like to speculate that there will be a physical CD,LP etc release secondly, but this will be some form of a digital app whereby the music is only available on the app first linked with an itunes single.

Nope. Never happen. U2 will never release an album that we can't walk into the store and physically buy. There may be an app at the same time, but they will always sell a CD/disc/record. The app would be another option, not a replacement. If they did, I wouldn't buy it. I'd just grab the ripped version and wait for them to actually release something I could buy and physically own.

From this vantage point it's difficult to guess, I'll admit, but it seems to me that if there is a double release, it'll be a new record later this year, followed by a deluxe reissue including 5-6 unreleased tracks from the DM sessions and a few remixes.

This will be released either in the middle of next year to coincide with the tour hype, or in time for Christmas 2014. That seems to be where the money is at the moment: see Lana Del Rey, Coldplay and a host of others who have done this recently. That way the CD buyers who are still out there will part with their cash twice, thereby reinforcing the coffers of the record industry. Those who won't buy the deluxe edition would probably not have bought the original in hard copy anyway.

This model would also make sense as a way to release additional material. The B-side is dead folks, and it ain't coming back. Long live the deluxe additions.

The B-side is dead folks, and it ain't coming back. Long live the deluxe additions.

Too bad they cant still release those b-grade songs elsewhere.. imagine if they offered them to U2.com subscribers.. couple of songs here and there each year.. not tied to any album, but finished, fun songs. shit like "Stingray" which would never make it to album, but surely exists as a recording...

Too bad they cant still release those b-grade songs elsewhere.. imagine if they offered them to U2.com subscribers.. couple of songs here and there each year.. not tied to any album, but finished, fun songs. shit like "Stingray" which would never make it to album, but surely exists as a recording...

Agreed. While I like the idea of U22, etc, what would really excite would be new music delivered from the band's own website.

Back
Top Bottom