Lanois on the Fez sessions in new interview!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Edge89

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Last edited:
For those of us illicitly surfing at work (where Youtube is blocked), what did he say? Anything interesting? I'm guessing he doesn't commit to a release date for the new album.

thanks for this it sounds really promising!
Lanois is saying that he recognises that the band are going through a new sonic gear shift and are looking to break new ground just as they did in the early 90's!!!!! They are looking for the next chapter, and they are very hungry to get there both in their heads and geographically (actually). He implies that they are already there in many respects. Oh and everybody's on fire...
He said that the sessions have been really fruitful and they've come up with some great things and that he and Eno are writing with the band...

I actually do believe this time that we could be on the verge of something special. Lanois could hardly contain his excitement!!!!

chrissybaby said:
thanks for this it sounds really promising!
Lanois is saying that he recognises that the band are going through a new sonic gear shift and are looking to break new ground just as they did in the early 90's!!!!!

Finally :drool:

To be honest, I don't see anything new in his comments. All of this had been reported before.

Now, if he could already announce an album for early 2008... :)

He wasn't quite as mysterious as Edge. No "lost in the music" or "Making music to make music".

He said he feels that there is a hunger in the air, the same hunger that was present in the early 90's with AB. Mentioned that some great stuff was made in Morroco, and that he's quite jealous of himself : )

Sounds like the band are interested in the "Next Chapter" of their career.

This is really wonderful news.

I loved the musical direction that came from All That You Can't Leave Behind, but now it is definitely time for them to reinvent themselves and go in a new direction.

I can't wait to hear their new sound and see their new transformation...

Here's a question - if say half the material was co-written with Lanios & Eno could it actually be released as an offical U2 album? If that were the case would it count as a proper U2 album? Are we more likely to be looking at a Passengers, collaboration, type album in Nov 08, followed by the next proper U2 album in 2010-2011?

I'd say that it will be a U2 album, and that perhaps Lanois and Eno will get a co-songwriting credit at the end of the album if they are truly collaborating in a purely songwriting capacity (i.e.- "Music by U2, Daniel Lanois, and Brian Eno; Lyrics by Bono; etc...").

Passengers II?

So many sessions so far yeilding a lot of songs from diverse styles. Maybe a double album or a Passengers/Pop type deal but without all the techno crap.

I can't for the "new music sucks!" discussions. That'll have to wait until next fall right?

Yeah, I especially can't wait for some of the people that say it's time for a change to think it's crap when it finally comes out and talk about how they miss the old U2.

super fly guy said:
You cant please all the people all of the time!

this is true.

i'm just glad new material is being worked on, judgments will come later.

You know, we've talked about the songwriting credit dilemma and how McGuinne$$ doesn't want anyone else making more than the band, but it's not like Eno and/or Lanois need be credited with writing on the whole album. A few songs where they contributed a significant amount could be excepted for credit, and that way the band still are still financially the main benefactors, and primary creative forces.

I do like hearing this from Lanois, especially as he was the one who was trying to PREVENT them from breaking new ground on AB, and was warning them that they were ruining their careers. Now he sees the error of his ways, apparently, and can recognize that after the last two albums the band has played themselves into a corner as much as any other time in the past.

Good stuff. Nice to see that EVERYONE involved is really excited about the work. I say continue with this Fez stuff, keep working with Eno & Lanois the rest of the year, put Rubin on the shelf for a while, and crank out an album. Then go back to Rubin, finish up on that thought, and crank out a second album mid-tour. Don't mix the two streams of thought, and don't waste time between the two.

Rich79 said:
Yeah, I especially can't wait for some of the people that say it's time for a change to think it's crap when it finally comes out and talk about how they miss the old U2.

Words right out of my mouth. It's easy to like their musical directions retroactively. It'll be interesting to see when those who came on during ATYCLB or HTDAAB go through a Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby type musical switch in real time. "I waited four years for this?

Utoo said:
Good stuff. Nice to see that EVERYONE involved is really excited about the work. I say continue with this Fez stuff, keep working with Eno & Lanois the rest of the year, put Rubin on the shelf for a while, and crank out an album. Then go back to Rubin, finish up on that thought, and crank out a second album mid-tour. Don't mix the two streams of thought, and don't waste time between the two.

yes.

Back
Top Bottom