Lady with the Spinning Head (Salome) vs. Lady with the Mustached Face (Linear)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adam3000

Acrobat
Can someone tell me what is up with the ladies with mustaches in Linear? I mean what the what?

I mean I get the lady with the spinning head reference to belly dancers and salome and temptation, but someone explain the dancers with mustaches ... that's just gross.

This may be a bit of a stretch, but seeing as how there is a mustache lady in the official Boots video too: Apparently the song is about how males have fucked up the world and its time that all the power is handed over to the ladies. Facial hair is commonly seen as manly and alpha male-ish. When i think of a cliche image of a british army general, I often think of them with mustaches thus the mustaches in these videos represent women in positions of power that the men typically occupy

Linear

This has been bugging me all week,,,

What the hell is with the women wearing moutstaches part when Get on Your Boots is playing ? What is the hidden meaning ? is there a meaning ? is it meant to be cryptic ?

Somebody, please explain its driving me crazy,,,,,

and that also reminds me, why wasn't IGCIIDGCT on the film ?

:lol: It's bloody disturbing isn't it?

I think it's sort of a way to show that the women are in control. A mustache used to be a sign of power(Check a lot of big leaders, all had staches) so perhaps it's to illustrate that women can be strong and in charge.

And Crazy Tonight wasn't made then. It's one of the later made clips. This tracklisting is from November last year, before U2 went back into the studio.

the only leader that springs to mind at this time who had a moustache ,,,was Saddam Hussein and look what happened to him.....

given the lack of response to my previous post, I guess its safe to say, I know how to kill a thread.......

This may be a bit of a stretch, but seeing as how there is a mustache lady in the official Boots video too: Apparently the song is about how males have fucked up the world and its time that all the power is handed over to the ladies. Facial hair is commonly seen as manly and alpha male-ish. When i think of a cliche image of a british army general, I often think of them with mustaches thus the mustaches in these videos represent women in positions of power that the men typically occupy

Like the movie Zulu :yes:

the only leader that springs to mind at this time who had a moustache ,,,was Saddam Hussein and look what happened to him.....

Ever heard of this little german guy Adolf Hitler? You can say about him all you want, he's done a lot of bad stuff, but you can't deny that everyone respected him in the beginning. They all looked up to him.

Or any of the old Greek philosophers like Plato, Aristotle et al? Though they had beards, it serves the same purpose.

The moustache somehow demanded respect in the old days, and it still does.

And PopEdge. Nuff said.

To help with the nightmares... yikes!

Yikes_1.jpg

Yikes_2.jpg

Yikes_3.jpg

Yikes_4.jpg

To help with the nightmares... yikes!

Yikes_1.jpg

Yikes_2.jpg

Yikes_3.jpg

Yikes_4.jpg

oh sweet jeesus! is that from Linear?!?!?!

oh god seriously disturbing!! :ohmy:

i think the fake moustaches in the GOYB video looked hilarious but kind of pretty and fun too, but these ones just look plain creepy!

a perfect example of why women shouldn't have facial hair! :lmao: :coocoo:

I liked it. I thought it was really funny. And the first part of the "Boots" clip in Linear was really lonesome and sensual.

And who said Corbijn can't tell a story? Sorry, I think his film "Control" was amazing. Wish it was a little more about the actual music, but then again, we already have "24 Hour Party People" and the Joy Division documentary. "Control" was a total home run, as far as I'm concerned.

The women were called The Senor-itas. Get it? "Senor" = man, "ita" = feminine. As I said in the Linear review thread, this seems like a case of lame-but-funny Bono humor.

the ironic thing is that u2 isn't funny ... The right to be ridiculous is something I hold dear ... So they might say but there is nothing funny about anything they do ... Achtung baby was darker than the Joshua tree ... Their attempt to lighten up ( pop ) has some of there most serious conversations with god ... Humor might be a motivation but rarely an actual outcome ... I state this because their attempts at humor just come off as obtuse, unconnected, arty, dark, serious, possibly clever ... and in this case ... Creepy.

Also anyone remember the belly dancing MALE perfomance artist video during the intermission of the Pop tour ... Disturbing.

Ok... yeah that's pretty freaky. Not really funny. U2 aren't usually intentionally funny. Only funny when they're being serious.

Lady with the Spinning Head = gambling reference. Lady Luck plus the roulette wheel.

Lady with Mustache = gender equality, gender blindness, play on "One" ("we're one, but not the same")

While I cannot state the latter for a fact, the former is pretty correct. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom