Kantar data on free U2 album consumption by Apple device users.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was about to start in again with my whole "statistics sample sizes don't need to be as large as you might think to be accurate rant" but actually, yeah for the number of Apple users, I think they're probably about 1000 people away from accuracy.

So....the release strategy wasn't a failure? :D

Nah...who needs data? I can find some negative U2 tweets to support the opposite opinion.

I'm sure Apple feels the same way. They could care less about data. They rely on the tweets of teenagers to make their decisions. I'll be surprised if Apple ever works with U2 again.

Ok sorry I'll stop. It's just too fun. I could go on all day. :wink:

:hmm: How many apple users are there anyway?

And how many have their device on auto synch. Which is kinda important in this case.

Nah...who needs data? I can find some negative U2 tweets to support the opposite opinion.

I'm sure Apple feels the same way. They could care less about data. They rely on the tweets of teenagers to make their decisions. I'll be surprised if Apple ever works with U2 again. :wink:

You know what is the #1 trending topic on Twitter right now?

#Askcam3...apparently he is a teenage "youtube" star.

He didn't die, he didn't do anything. He's just there and apparently the most discussed topic onTwitter.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

:hmm: How many apple users are there anyway?

And how many have their device on auto synch. Which is kinda important in this case.

Didn't they say apple had half a billion apple users??im sure that was the figure

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Snarky arguments aside...

This is really impressive and I think a simple congrats to U2 is in order here.

They wanted relevancy and they got it.

978 folks out of a pool of 200 million?

About 3% margin of error, and 95% confidence interval. Pretty reliable from the numbers perspective alone.

Yup. As long as the sample was actually random and not taken from a pool of people who identify as "old fogies who talk incessantly about U2 on online forums," n=978 is plenty for good power.

if you honestly believe that today, in the year 2015, that twice as many owners of iOS devices listen to U2 than they do Taylor Swift and Katy Perry COMBINED then there's really no use in debating this topic with you any longer.

While I would like to see a bit more about their methodology (which I haven't been able to find so far) before I do a happy dance, why are you so quick to dismiss it? It could be that there is overlap between the audiences. It could be that there are a lot of 14 year old girls who couldn't figure out how to get SoI off the phones, and so the odd U2 song or two slipped through when on shuffle. It could be that those U2 listeners heard one or two U2 songs in January, while the TS/KP listeners heard 20 TS/KP songs. We don't know. The company is a worldwide market research group who seems to have expanded over the past couple of decades, so I suspect they know what they're doing.

if you honestly believe that today, in the year 2015, that twice as many owners of iOS devices listen to U2 than they do Taylor Swift and Katy Perry COMBINED then there's really no use in debating this topic with you any longer.

If you honestly believe that today, in the year 2015, you can win an argument without data to back you up against the opposing party who has supporting data, then there's really no use in debating this topic with you any longer. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you honestly believe that today, in the year 2015, you can win an argument without data to back you up against the opposing party who has supporting data, then there's really no use in debating this topic with you any longer. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay.

Soooo The Miracle has 2 million views on YouTube.

Shake It Off has 608 million
Style has 16 million views in one week
Dark Horse has 831 million views

Color me a tad skeptical that U2 has been listened to by twice as many people as Taylor Swift and Katy Perry.

Its a sample of 978 folks, not sure how relaible that data is.

I saw that the sample of 978 was taken from Chicago, Illinois of all white males between 30 and 50 years of age and with an average income of $80,000 per year?

No bias there

But that's not what the article is saying from the data.

actually the article literally says twice as many people listened to a U2 track as listened to Taylor Swift

Twenty-three percent of all music users on Apple's operating system listened to at least one U2 track in January-more than twice the percentage who listened to the second-placing artist, Taylor Swift (11%)

which is either a load of crap, or iTunes really is only used by old people.

I'm good with either explanation.

I'd find the numbers to be a bit off kilter as well as big of a U2 fan as I am I don't in any way see them being listened to more then Taylor Swift on iTunes in this day and age. But whatever if the numbers are correct then its a nice result. It would be nice to know what percentage of the people listening to at least one song were listening to new songs or old hits, I guess it does say 95 percent of the people that listened to a U2 track listened to a new album track....interesting.

Do these stats come out every month?

Last edited:
actually the article literally says twice as many people listened to a U2 track as listened to Taylor Swift

which is either a load of crap, or iTunes really is only used by old people.

I'm good with either explanation.

You don't read very well. The article says twice as many people on iOS. That's not some huge claim. There are, for instance, about 1 billion Android users, which is about 2x more than iOS, that clearly aren't included in this (stupid) stat.

Let's say those numbers are far from the truth.

Let's cut those numbers in half.
Actually, let's swap them with Taylor Swift's.

Still, great numbers.
Way too far away from the mess suggested by very vocal but not really objective groups on twitter and the media.

I saw that the sample of 978 was taken from Chicago, Illinois of all white males between 30 and 50 years of age and with an average income of $80,000 per year?

No bias there

Is this true? If so, then this conclusion is has no real external validity.

The number seems fishy enough to warrant concern, even if the sample size is reasonable on the surface.

I wouldn't so quickly/easily dismiss this information.

Editor's Notes The above results were derived from the Kantar panel of 2,510 iOS users and subset of 978 iOS-user panelists who listened to any music in January 2015 - See more at: Kantar data on free U2 album consumption by Apple device users - Kantar

This is actually a fairly large polling sample with a smaller margin of error, usually within 3%, + or -

Presidential polls use similar methodology and their results are within a few percentage points of the voting results.

Here's one that you always hear about if you follow politics at Presidential election time -
http://www.quinnipiac.edu/images/polling/sw/sva02192015_demos_S2ybw87.pdf

Also, click on this realpolitics link and then click on the individual polls and scroll to the bottom of the poll results to see their sample sizes and margins of error. RealClearPolitics - RealClearPolitics Poll Averages

Kantar is a reputable company.

So, I'm quite pleased to see this information. I hope Bman is too.

Is this true? If so, then this conclusion is has no real external validity.

The number seems fishy enough to warrant concern, even if the sample size is reasonable on the surface.

This is Mr Ebola, unless he can show you a link he's full of bs.

I don't find it unreasonable at all to suggest that a large number of iTunes users are listening to U2. They probably ARE older. Is it just SOI, or all of U2?

I don't find it unreasonable at all to suggest that a large number of iTunes users are listening to U2. They probably ARE older. Is it just SOI, or all of U2?

23% of iTunes listeners surveyed listened to a U2 track in January and 95% of those that listened to U2 listened to a track off SOI. :dancing:

Back
Top Bottom